JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Adjustments to Mask-Wearing Starting October 1, 2022

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 531 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, M.J. said:

If he has a cold, I take it he knows he has one because he is displaying symptoms. Because if not, how would else would he know he had a cold? (hope this clarified)

He doesn't say he has a cold  or is displaying symptoms, he says it is his family. The exposure instruction relates to Covid-19, not cold or flu. Either way, respecting others sensitivities, or having a personal view, is not negated by the Kingdom hall direction.

1 hour ago, Eejay said:

He doesn't say he has a cold  or is displaying symptoms, he says it is his family. The exposure instruction relates to Covid-19, not cold or flu. Either way, respecting others sensitivities, or having a personal view, is not negated by the Kingdom hall direction.

I see I need to clarify things.  I missed 3 meetings because one by one, my family was getting sick from a bug my daughter picked up at school.  I however, seemed to be immune.  But I was worried about being contagious.  I've already been "yelled at" by coworkers for infecting them in the past.  But, at the 3rd meeting, I noticed on the screen you could see the literature counter.  The door was closed, and lights were off.   The contact cards and other literature on the counter and been depleted and not refilled.  That was part of my job.  I started feeling guilty.  Then, once my wife started clearing up, I got sick.  I ended up missing 5 meetings, and I felt horrible about it, wondering if I was shirking my duties being on zoom.  Other comments about brothers having responsibilities staying on zoom on this site were also ringing in my head, admittedly. So, I asked the head of the literature dept and the head admin of the cart app what he thought.  And that's what he told me.  

5 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

So, I asked the head of the literature dept and the head admin of the cart app what he thought.  And that's what he told me.  

If there is risk that you may infect someone with anything, it's better to stay at home. You can always ask someone to restock publications.

7 hours ago, Eejay said:

Even though the instruction of the  exposure to someone to COVID required you to stay home, best practice would be also applied for flu and colds (or any other contagious disease).

How many letters over the years of the GB and Branch to say if you are sick, stay at home? So even if a family member is sick with the flu, it is best not to spread it around the congregation, even though you are not personally being affected.

At the moment, the flu is very much rampant around our area, and people are having a harder time of getting over this than what they have experienced with COVID. We have nearly third of our congregation on Zoom for the MWM either because of the flu, or the wet weather and as well for them being elderly. But they still attended the meeting despite of their particular circumstances, but did so it was safe for everyone in the congregation.

6 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

But, at the 3rd meeting, I noticed on the screen you could see the literature counter.  The door was closed, and lights were off.   The contact cards and other literature on the counter and been depleted and not refilled.  That was part of my job.  I started feeling guilty. 

Do you have an assistant? If not, they should really assign someone to assist you. Even if you have to do it by Zoom to train the brother, it can be done.

Otherwise, Is there any chance of you going to the KH and replenish the counter when no-one else is going to be around for the meantime? You can sanitise the contact areas that you may have touched before you leave the KH to go home, and even just wear a mask whilst inside the KH. At least the stock on the counter will be replenished for the brothers when they meet there next, and that you have minimised any possible exposure as well.

But don't feel guilty brother, you are doing what they had directed.

9 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Do you have an assistant? If not, they should really assign someone to assist you. Even if you have to do it by Zoom to train the brother, it can be done.

I am the assistant, brought in because the elder and ministerial servant are overloaded.  We have a shortage of available brothers due to an exodus of people either moving due to age and inability to deal with the harsh winters or moving to where the need is greater.  It's actually a "nice" problem to have.

12 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Otherwise, Is there any chance of you going to the KH and replenish the counter when no-one else is going to be around for the meantime? You can sanitise the contact areas that you may have touched before you leave the KH to go home, and even just wear a mask whilst inside the KH. At least the stock on the counter will be replenished for the brothers when they meet there next, and that you have minimised any possible exposure as well.

I like this idea.  I'll discuss it with the elder.  Hopefully it'll never have to be done again.  We've never been this sick, this long as a family.  It's usually only 1 or 2 meetings.

3 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

I am the assistant, brought in because the elder and ministerial servant are overloaded.  We have a shortage of available brothers due to an exodus of people either moving due to age and inability to deal with the harsh winters or moving to where the need is greater.  It's actually a "nice" problem to have.

Sounds like our congregation. We only have one brother who is about 20/21, which only moved in about a year ago, whereas the next youngest bother is about 43. We have about a half a dozen in their late 40's, a couple in the 50's, the rest are over the age of 65.

But as most of us are usually have some experience with counter privileges, there is someone usually able to get stock available if the actual brother isn't there. We are very much relaxed on who is in control of their department, but if there is anything major that needs to be addressed, then that head brother is always consulted beforehand.

8 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

I like this idea.  I'll discuss it with the elder.  Hopefully it'll never have to be done again.  We've never been this sick, this long as a family.  It's usually only 1 or 2 meetings.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to find a work-around. And as you say, it is only going to be sporadic when things like this pops up.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, junechild said:

Sadly, though, I was personally "marked" - for a lack of a better word - by one close friend who informed me via text that I am being defiant and she cannot be friends until I'm on the same page. 

Well, as of October 1st her objections are now clearly moot. Hopefully your relationship will be healed. 

On 10/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, ship said:

Last Thursday,  we had 38 attendees in person at the hall. 100% of the attendees still wore masks.
We heard the same announcement but the reaction was very different for the region, which is interesting.

I fully expect it’ll be different depending on where you are or how bad Covid was in that area. Or even how conservative/liberal the mindset is in the area. It’s good we’re still one united people anyway. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On Sunday I had extended chat with a brother in the congregation, no masks.

Monday, he and his wife tested positive.

I am monitoring myself, and not attending meeting in person tonight (just in case) 

This covid thing ...never ends! Mentally I am tired of it. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I had called and left a message for my tax guy about two months ago, but he didn't call back immediately. After a couple of days I figured he might be on vacation, so I forgot about it after that to give him time to get back. He finally called me yesterday... after all that time!

When I asked if he was on vacation, he said no. It was COVID! He's about like me; keeps his distance around others, always wears a mask, gets the next vaccine when they're available, etc. But despite all that, he came down with it! Since then, he's been staying home to avoid contaminating others. He coughed and hacked a few times during our conversation too. He said that at one point he went for a COVID test and it showed positive. Two weeks later he went for another test, and that one was also positive! He's been sick all this time, staying in bed most of the time! It just won't go away!

That scared me quite a bit, since the next one catching it could be me. I did go to my meeting last night, but as usual I sat in the second school. I never sit in the main hall anymore. I may take a few minutes to say hi to a couple of the friends after the meeting, but generally keep my distance from everybody. Since only a handful of people in the congregation actually wear a mask anymore, I only talk to those who wear one. (I'm discriminatory.)

So the point of all this is that the pandemic is still alive and well, and continuing to look for victims. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Don't let down your guard; and keep safe!

I am not sure if everybody is aware that our organization is not saying "Covid is over" Covid is finished".  We just pointed out that the severity of the outcome has been reduced in general.  24 months ago, Br. Eric's tax man would have been in an ICU on a ventilator fighting for his life.  Now he is at home with a serious cough.

Our organization allows each individual to decide their own level of safety but the overall result is "we have to learn to live with Covid", whatever that means to you.  Many brothers and sisters wore masks at meetings but not at work or shopping.  So their level of safety was "No Mask" and they only wore one at the meeting to show respect for our organization "strongly recommending" it.  Now that we do not "strongly recommend" it, they are comfortable with the risk they take in the rest of their lives.

Our organization is comfortable with this level of concern.  We no longer report to the Branch those sickened or who died.  This type of anxiety is now in the past.  Each one must accommodate their personal feelings as we all move on and "Learn to live with Covid".

As a side point, depending on how long the GT goes  (n time), you may not have any masks available.

46 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Each one must accommodate their personal feelings as we all move on and "Learn to live with Covid".

Yes, and since I don't wear a mask at the meetings any more and I'll be turning 70 in a few days, for me personally, wisdom dictated that I get the latest Covid bivalent BA.5 booster vaccine along with the flu shot, which may be more prudent than ever for this year's flu season here in the U.S.

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

To help show that the Banch is not advocating that COVID is over - here is an excerpt from an announcement we had read last night about assisting with the relief for hurricane Ian:

If you are chosen to accommodate those displaced or volunteers, please follow appropriate COVID-19 precautions.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Welp, my family and I haven't worn a mask this week during our CO's visit. I think I will wear one to the meeting though as it will be a larger group of people. I'm definitely still wearing it everywhere else. So far, no one in our hall has come down with COVID that we know of thankfully. 

I went to the hall for the first time without a mask.  I walked out with Covid!  Both me and my husband.  Fortunately, we have no symptoms but, we have to follow the protocol.

Anyways, when I go back to the hall I'm wearing a mask.  There were about 3 families that contracted Covid.

1 hour ago, cme said:

Fui ao salão pela primeira vez sem máscara. Saí com Covid! Tanto eu quanto meu marido. Felizmente, não temos sintomas, mas temos que seguir o protocolo.

De qualquer forma, quando volto para o corredor estou usando uma máscara. Foram cerca de 3 famílias que contraíram Covid.

But that doesn't mean it was inside the salon you took it, it can be anywhere, on the street, in some store, some market food. The virus does not live inside the Kingdom hall

1 hour ago, cme said:

I went to the hall for the first time without a mask.  I walked out with Covid!  Both me and my husband.  Fortunately, we have no symptoms but, we have to follow the protocol.

Anyways, when I go back to the hall I'm wearing a mask.  There were about 3 families that contracted Covid.

I’m glad you seem to only have mild symptoms and wish you a speedy recovery.

Yes, you can potentially catch it anywhere, and it is just like catching anything - it’s unavoidable if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Covid is here until the end of all sicknesses, so we live the best we can with it in our environment. The meetings are a precious provision for us especially so close to the end. The GB feel the risk is worth taking, but we each have to decide how to manage this risk.

12 hours ago, Loyal said:

But that doesn't mean it was inside the salon you took it, it can be anywhere, on the street, in some store, some market food. The virus does not live inside the Kingdom hall

Covid can be spread anywhere, including the Kingdom Hall. A sister told us that in a congregation in Wisconsin, the speaker from last week had covid and passed it on to other families at that hall. Everytime you don't wear a mask, you're taking a risk. Even if you take a booster, at most it gives you 2 months of immunity. Plus, there are still risks associated with the shot that the medical agencies keep confirming. We all just have to accept the risks of everything with this virus. 

Edited by runner92

37 minutes ago, runner92 said:

Covid can be spread anywhere, including the Kingdom Hall. A sister told us that in a congregation in Wisconsin, the speaker from last week had covid and passed it on to other families at that hall. Everytime you don't wear a mask, you're taking a risk. Even if you take a booster, at most it gives you 2 months of immunity. Plus, there are still risks associated with the shot that the medical agencies keep confirming. We all just have to accept the risks of everything with this virus. 

I know one congregation had to shut down because 10 of them had Covid. It is here to stay.

28 minutes ago, runner92 said:

A Covid pode se espalhar em qualquer lugar, inclusive no Salão do Reino. Uma irmã nos contou que em uma congregação em Wisconsin, o orador da semana passada teve covid e passou para outras famílias naquele salão. Toda vez que você não usa máscara, você está se arriscando. Mesmo tomando reforço, no máximo dá 2 meses de imunidade. Além disso, ainda existem riscos associados à injeção que as agências médicas continuam confirmando. Todos nós apenas temos que aceitar os riscos de tudo com esse vírus. 

Yes, I understand, but blaming our venue, the kingdom hall, encourages many to keep watching through the "zoom" app and be afraid to gather, the coronavirus is spreading through humanity!  even under our shoes.

all we want is for the brothers to be well and in good health and together in the congregation

2 minutes ago, Loyal said:

Yes, I understand, but blaming our venue, the kingdom hall, encourages many to keep watching through the "zoom" app and be afraid to gather, the coronavirus is spreading through humanity!  even under our shoes.

all we want is for the brothers to be well and in good health and together in the congregation

I don't see saying you got it at the hall as blaming the hall. It's just stating where you contracted it. If you can narrow it down, you can narrow it down. 

14 hours ago, Loyal said:

No it does not live in the KH.  But, the friends that come in can be carriers.  We don't socialize with the world but, we do socialize with the friends at the KH.