JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jesus may not have died on the cross, Christian scholar claims.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1966 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was new news....:) (not that it is new to us!)

This article comes around in cycles every 6+ months or so, but originally was released about 2.5 years ago. But I always love when there is a secular story or secular evidence that harmonizes with what we already know and believe.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 2 years later...

For those who would like an idea of what the article is talking about (another vague "link")

Good Morning America reported (July 9, 2010) on a thesis by Swedish theologian Gunnar Samuelsson in which he claims there is no historical support for the notion that Jesus died on a cross. If this is true, what effect should it have on Christians?

"There is no distinct punishment called 'crucifixion,' no distinct punishment device called a 'crucifix' anywhere mentioned in any of the ancient texts including the Gospels," he told ABCNews.com.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Eric,

I haven't been able to look any further about Bill Underwood than the link you have provided. But from reading down

the list of articles he has been author to it sure raises that question doesn't it ? I think I want to do some further research

on him. Thanks for the link.

GStorrs46

Michael: It does raise questions, doesn't it? There was one article that Bill Underwood wrote (although I can't find it right now) about religion getting mixed up in politics. The picture in the article that was used to describe that situation looked exactly like the picture on page 241 of the Revelation Climax book! (or, at least, pretty close)

We get to say, "Well, duh"

Also, he's the guy who said if you celebrate Christmas, or Halloween, (I can't remember which) you had better hope God has a short memory. I thought it was funny.

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

If a person want to debate with me of what Jesus died upon, then he or she will lose. A person needs to THINK what Jesus really died upon.

Personally, I don't get into debates with people. I try to avoid those. We are not there to win arguments, but to win hearts. So I think it's better to find a common ground.

While discussing the scriptural proof that Jesus actually died on a stake, I like to add something like: "Of course, this doesn't change the fact that Jesus gave up his life to save humankind from their sins." That way there is no debate, since they will likely agree that the fact that he died is more important than how he died. That may make their hearts more malleable to accept the fact the cross has a pagan origin and can hold no place in true worship.

Personally, I don't get into debates with people. I try to avoid those. We are not there to win arguments, but to win hearts. So I think it's better to find a common ground.

While discussing the scriptural proof that Jesus actually died on a stake, I like to add something like: "Of course, this doesn't change the fact that Jesus gave up his life to save humankind from their sins." That way there is no debate, since they will likely agree that the fact that he died is more important than how he died. That may make their hearts more malleable to accept the fact the cross has a pagan origin and can hold no place in true worship.

You misunderstood me and my apology for it too. I'm not into debates too and that is why I said MOCK debate. People can should you from their bible that Jesus died on a cross and you can show it from your bible that he died upon a stake. If we get nowhere with this, then how else can you prove the Jesus died upon a stake? That was my whole point. my brother.

• 1 year later...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jesus-christ-died-cross-scholar/story?id=11066130

This ABC news story appeared on MY FB this morning. Although the original written piece is from 2010, there was perhaps an update on the news, that I didn't access.

Bible researcher concludes no reference to crucifixion in the Bible and that Jesus was hung on stauros, Greek for pole, stake, or tree.

I just spent a very looooong time replying to Sister Pauline's post.

When I pressed Submit Reply, it all went 'Poof!'

The notice said that  the post I was replying to no longer existed.Sigh.gif

We need some sort a'  "Merge Alert!" warning system.YES Grinning.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I had no idea why it popped up as a current news story, but I printed out the reference and realized it was from 2010. I wondered if the author of this article had been interviewed currently or at least recently. It printed out a massive amount of news stories that I had to throw away, but my Bible Student, this morning, found the piece informative.

Thanks for thinking up a  good reply, Sister Ross.

And thank you brother Shawnster, aka Quick Draw.

Edited by kejedo

On 9/8/2016 at 10:40 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

I just spent a very looooong time replying to Sister Pauline's post.

When I pressed Submit Reply, it all went 'Poof!'

The notice said that  the post I was replying to no longer existed.Sigh.gif

We need some sort a'  "Merge Alert!" warning system.YES Grinning.gif

Rosanne Sis this happens to me more often than not, so here is a suggestion.  When you anticipate writing a long post write your reply in a "notes/memo" application and save it. Then copy and paste it to that particular thread.  Alternatively, as a precaution copy your responding post BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button. If your post isn't saved or goes "poof" just "paste" in back into the thread.  Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Omo_Yeme

13 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Rosanne Sis this happens to me more often than not, so here is a suggestion.  When you anticipate writing a long post write your reply in a "notes/memo" application and save it. Then copy and paste it to that particular thread.  Alternatively, as a precaution copy your responding post BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button. If your post isn't saved or goes "poof" just "paste" in back into the thread.  Hope this helps. :)

Good advice from Sister Sandra. I usually write my posts in WORD (for spell correction) and when satisfied, paste it into my reply. Also helps because of the extra step I have time to reconsider before I hit the send button. Always surprised how many times I have concluded I was just getting to windy and skipped the paste option. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

16 hours ago, Old said:

Always surprised how many times I have concluded I was just getting to windy and skipped the paste option. 

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and sold it in a yard sale...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

So glad to see my old photo from Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy back up on here again.

Some old posts are well worth resurrecting to help newbies to our group with extra evidence for strengthening their reasoning on the ministry.

We've had some really interesting research over the years between us. 

I also enjoyed 'Dages' research on Jehovah's name from years back and the debunking of some doctrines that we don't often come across in our ignorant, less religious and more secular society in the UK. Keeps me on my toes for the very occasional person I meet who still has a shred of belief in anything they dare admit is Christianity over here!

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2010 at 8:47 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

Someone forwarded this to me. I blogged about it here, and highlighted the portions of the article I thought were very interesting...

https://robertangle.com/ruminations/jesus-christ-may-not-have-died-on-cross/

Bro. Angle, do you still have that particular blog? Or have you permanently removed it?

You know, no matter what the shape of the instrument was, why would anyone want to wear the symbol of the method of execution or of a loved ones death around their neck? 

This is an excellent field service point...and I would tactfully add as a question to the householder "Which of the two do you believe your Lord and Savior would want YOU to remember him: 1) by the manner of his death? Or 2) by the meaning of his death?  (If  the HH is honest within her/his self, he/she would see the obvious truth of the matter.

I also enjoyed Dages' research on Jehovah's name from years back and the debunking of some doctrines that we don't often come across in our ignorant, less religious and more secular society in the UK.

Would anyone happen to know the link where this research is found please?

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Fixed URL