JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Wars Rogue One

35 minutes ago, rocket said:

I can't imagine falling asleep in Rogue One but someone did and got locked in the Theater.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime/man-locked-in-theater-after-falling-asleep/vi-BBxAtmm

Well, the guy two seats from us, not only fell asleep, but snored throughout the movie. Sort of funny. We'd have woken him up if he did not wake up on his own. He did. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

42 minutes ago, rocket said:

I can't imagine falling asleep in Rogue One but someone did and got locked in the Theater.

The last one out, close the door and turns off the light sabers...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I finally got the time to go see it, it was really good.I got choked up when I saw Princess Leia. I can still remember seeing A New Hope,in a packed out movie theater.We all cheered and clapped.It was the best movie we'd ever seen. (Even better than Rocky,which we were crazy about the year before.)

I will go see this one again.

1 minute ago, Shawnster said:

I'm glad I saw the movie before Carrie Fisher died. That would have choked me up, too.

If she is resurrected and marries duly appointed PRINCE of Jehovah she would become real princess. :D

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We saw it in 2D it was just awesome. I loved how it played right into A New Hope. 

Awesome CGI through the whole thing. Just loved this movie. I will be going to see it again.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

On 1.1.2017 at 3:56 AM, Snowkitty said:

I finally got the time to go see it, it was really good.I got choked up when I saw Princess Leia.

Yeah that was weird, huh? All young as if fresh out the resurrection and utters one word ... "Hope"... Sent shivers down my spine.

I really liked this one, if I could have the "Despecialized Edition" legally on Blu-Ray, I would want to have it and add this one to my collection, this one only.

It missed the actual original Star Wars feeling of a sci-fi fairy-tale, and had quite a lot of violence even for a Star Wars movie, but it felt electrifying all the way through, very emotional in some parts, the character development was good and it felt like the players actually mattered. You see, I didn't feel even an iota of importance for Finn, Rey, Poe or whatever other characters were in Force Awakens, nor did I really ever care for Anakin Skywalker or any other prequel character, so I was surprised that I felt more compelled to care about what happens to the protagonists of this one-off spin-off movie than all the supposedly important characters of the later trilogies.

I also loved how the film felt like a part of the original trilogy in regards to the technology. A lot of analogue tech, low-tech display screens and control panels, rag-tag rebel costumes, and a lot of wonderful nods to the original trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally was able to see the movie, but now I have some questions that I hope all of you can help me with:

1) So at the very, very beginning of the movie, the intro -  "In a Galaxy far, far away"

and that was it! Nothing more! Was that a film issue in my area or was that on purpose that they gave no story line? Nor the famous musical intro that is normally played along with the scrolling words?

That intro is 1 of the most famous parts of Star Wars and it was just cut out! And this caused me much confusion during the movie because I didn't watch any previews, and so I just assumed that Rogue One would follow in sequence to the last movie (The Force Awakens). If they would have given the famous introduction and explained what was happening and where in time the story was at, then I would have understood more about the timing of the movie. Anyone else have that problem? Did everyone know before going to the movie that the story was back before the very first movie in 1977?  Probably just me since I didn't watch the previews or read anything prior.

2) Has anyone read about why the writers/producers didn't make this movie in sequence with the "Force Awakens"?  For what reason did they decide to go back in time before the very first Star Wars movie?  I guess I am just confused as to their choice and I thought that they would have continued in sequence and developed all the new characters from the "Force Awakens"?

Any knowledge that will help answer some of my questions and help my confusion I will appreciate, thanks!

:confused:

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

The answer to both of your questions is really the same answer.

Rogue One was NOT a continuation of the Star Wars saga - it was what is referred to as a "tween" story - in other words, it takes place "in between" (or alongside) of the main story. So, you are right that the story was "before" the original "A New Hope". Basically, this story took place just before Luke met the droids.

For these reasons, since it was not about the main characters, they decided to NOT have the "words through space" - because this is a "side story". (It was in answer to Mon Mothma sayign "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" - even though we do not see any Bothans)

The continuation of the main story, the one that follows "The Force Awakens" is due out this December (2017). The main story movies are slated for every other year. In order to make more money, the decided to make these "tween" movies so they can make additional money in the other years (like they just did in 2016 with Rogue One).

There is talk of them doing the "Han Solo" story - This would also be "before" the original (A New Hope) - we will see how that goes.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

(It was in answer to Mon Mothma sayign "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" - even though we do not see any Bothans)

Correction, the many Bothans died to bring the Rebellion the plans to the second Death Star (Return of the Jedi)

8 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Any knowledge that will help answer some of my questions and help my confusion I will appreciate, thanks!

:confused:

I have read a few comments on the internet by people complaining they had no idea on how to tie in the movie with the rest of the story and were very confused. The "opening crawl" that was common in every other Star Wars movie was purposefully left out because as mentioned, this story is not part of the classic "trilogies" systems but how on earth was a viewer supposed to know that. Some exposition at the beginning might have been helpful, like "Planet Lah'mu - 6 years after the formation of the Galactic Empire". I suppose they were simply expecting mostly fans to see the movie who knew what they were getting into.

"The Force Awakens" is set to be continued this year, and the next movie after that is going to be another "Standalone" story, then the third movie in the third trilogy, then I think another "Standalone" is planned.

In any case, this movie ends precisely where the original 1978 Star Wars ended.

The story was a prequel to a New Hope Episode 4 so it is already known what was going to happen. The rebels steal the death star plans. Therefore there was no crawl needed for this one.

I so want to go see this one again.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

As a side-note, I personally don't believe any more trilogies were planned at the point the work started on Empire Strikes Back.

In fact, I don't even think Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi were planned at the point the work began on A New Hope.

I don't believe Lucas when he said he initially wanted the Star Wars movies to look like his Special Edition.

I believe that Lucas, like Disney, kept seeing the financial potential in Star Wars and then working on ways of repeating the sucess. Often even by simply repeating the main storyline. But the entire story sure doesn't seem like a "masterpiece" split into multiple episodes due to all the inconsistencies.

I guess I liked Rogue One a lot for that reason. It was its own little story, there weren't many opportunities to fail at being consistent and it wasn't about yet another Planetkillerstarbase but about the original one.

I remember some interviews with Lucas back when Star Wars first came out where he said that naming A New Hope as episode IV was a bit "tongue-in-cheek". He said that, since sequels had were becoming popular, by starting at #4 he could put another movie on either end.

Later, after he followed A New Hope with Empire Strikes Back, he was working on a trilogy. By this time, and the financial success and popularity of the Star Wars saga, he began future plans for additional movies. He envisioned releasing a movie every three years. He planned to follow Empire with Return of the Jedi, then go back and do the first three (he did not give any titles or plot lines back then) then return to episode seven. This program would have allowed ten to twelve years of real-time to have passed before doing episode seven and that would have allowed natural aging of the actors who played the main characters. It all sounded like a good plan.

However, his then wife divorced him. The judge for the case awarded his ex-wife with proceeds of anything Star Wars for quite a number of years. Lucas had no objection to his ex having proceeds from a movie she actually worked on or even the second one since she "had to put up with him" while he worked on the second. However, it did not sit too well with him that she also got such a large cut of the third one when she had no involvement with it in any way - so he decided to forego any future movies. He almost gave up on the idea of finishing Star Wars since time would kill interest in such a movie enterprise.

It wasn't until the number of years the divorce decree specified had ended, and he found that interest in the Star Wars saga had not diminished, that he returned to complete the saga. However, he had not counted on so many years passing before he could complete the saga, so, since the original actors aged beyond what he originally expected, his plans for the content of episodes 7-9 have changed.

I do know that, in more recent interviews Lucas has made other comments about his direction for Star Wars and why he did some of the things he did - but, back then, when it was still a new movie his comments were a bit different - I guess, even with the creator of Star Wars, his view of "many, many things" have changed.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~