JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Go Bag Readiness Reminder

Why not just get 1 go-bag in a rucksack and carry it everwhere you go?  That would solve all these problems.

Why worry, get your go-bag in your house and rely on Jehovah if you are elsewhere. It is impossible to cover every single possibility, so why get het up about it?

:tea: have a nice cup of tea and relax.

4 minutes ago, bohemian said:

Why not just get 1 go-bag in a rucksack and carry it everwhere you go?  That would solve all these problems.

I know some friends that purchased the small red 72 hour backpack and keep it in their car. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I still have a large kit at home that I can use at home or load in the car.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 hours ago, bohemian said:

Why worry, get your go-bag in your house and rely on Jehovah if you are elsewhere. It is impossible to cover every single possibility, so why get het up about it?

Why bother following up on the slave's recommendation to make a three-day backpack at all when you can just "rely on Jehovah"

Part of emergency preparedness is thinking about diverse options and scenarios.

And in my opinion, being prepared to a balanced degree also implies faith in the fulfillment of Jehovah's promise that we are living in "critical times hard to deal with" and not to put our trust in nobles

19 hours ago, bohemian said:

:tea: have a nice cup of tea and relax.

This is why I have matches, tinder, a little pot, water and tea in my go-bag, see? So that when disaster hits, I can have a nice cup of tea and relax whilst others are bashing each other's heads in at the local supermarket desperately trying to get their hands on the last available supplies.

Edited by ChocoBro

I have this posted under " Earthquake in Italy," but thought it might get more attention here.

The Jehovah's Witnesses and the Abruzzo earthquake

ttp://www.beppegrillo.it/en/2009/04/the_jehovahs_witnesses_and_the_1.html

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Old said: I have this posted under " Earthquake in Italy," but thought it might get more attention here.

The Jehovah's Witnesses and the Abruzzo earthquake

ttp://www.beppegrillo.it/en/2009/04/the_jehovahs_witnesses_and_the_1.html

Most excellent idea, Brother Jerry!Good posting.gif

This article provides proof that our GO Bags really work.

Fascinating info, about how our brothers and sisters knew there was going to be a quake--weeks in advance,

earthquake .gif

and so they were prepared when it finally happened.

Hope we get a video report on this from JW.org.yes.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

5 hours ago, thegreenjudy said:

just discovered this .. sorry for digging it out. I am in the UK - what kind of food do you take with you? we had tins once but they were way to heavy.. lol.. was thinking about ahem.. military style freeze dried food. Also the water is pretty heavy :unsure: any idea?

camping bag are nice to hold those things up sis Judy, what do you think? :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODBiblePrinciples/pub-jwb_201707_6_VIDEO

I just saw this video on JWB and JWL about being prepared for a disaster. Is it a new video? I don't remember seeing it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, ChocoBro said:

I mentioned on another thread it makes sense to also have a "get-home-bag" in a car with one day's worth of food and supplies and a few little things like flashlight, carbon-copy of documents, tiny amount of cash, an emergency blanket and poncho etc.

The problem is that the food needs to be very heat- and cold-resistant. Also, water would need to be carried in and out of the car on very hot and cold days..

We have go-bags at home that contain freeze-dried food for us and dehydrated dog food (which we replace and use before the expiry dates). I also keep a "get home" bag under my desk at work with a few bottles of water, granola bars, flashlight, dry socks, walking shoes, and a few other things. I try to be somewhat prepared in the event of a massive power grid failure (like what happened in 2003). According to Google maps, it will take me about 12 hours to walk home, but depending on the circumstances, that may be preferable to staying downtown Toronto.

22 hours ago, pnutts said:

It is called "Sometimers"  :wheelchair:  Sometimes I forget. Other times I don't remember.:unsure:

21 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Pops used to say he believed in the 'hereafter '..

as in walking into a room and thinking,  'what was I hereafter? '

I better write these down   ...   so I don't forget to remember

15 hours ago, pnutts said:

I haven't eaten dog kibble since I was a little boy. Not sure if I would want to today. :perplexed:

Well, our dogs eat liver and so do we. Only difference is theirs is raw, and ours is cooked with onions and bacon :) (yeah, I should have said that we feed it to them, not that WE use it).

We have go-bags at home that contain freeze-dried food for us and dehydrated dog food (which we replace and use before the expiry dates). I also keep a "get home" bag under my desk at work with a few bottles of water, granola bars, flashlight, dry socks, walking shoes, and a few other things. I try to be somewhat prepared in the event of a massive power grid failure (like what happened in 2003). According to Google maps, it will take me about 12 hours to walk home, but depending on the circumstances, that may be preferable to staying downtown Toronto.

I sincerely hope you're using the dog food for dogs since the ingredients are squally not suitable for human consumption.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

12 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I sincerely hope you're using the dog food for dogs since the ingredients are squally not suitable for human consumption.

Johan

Synonyms of use: utilize · make use of · avail oneself of · employ · work ·operate · wield · ply · apply · maneuver · manipulate · put to use · put/press into service · exercise · employ · bring into play · practice · apply · exert · bring to bear

So to re=phrase: "which we replace and "put to use", "make use of" (pick either one ) before the expiry dates".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In reference to post #19: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102006205

Tracking Down Witnesses in the Astrodome

Some 16,000 refugees, mainly from Louisiana, were receiving food, water, and shelter in the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. The Witness relief committee in Houston learned that some Witnesses were part of that huge crowd. But how would they locate them?

Early Friday morning, September 2, a group of Witness elders arrived at the Astrodome to search out their displaced brothers. They were astonished by the sight of the thousands of men, women, teenagers, children, and infants, scattered throughout the vast stadium. The football field was covered with thousands of cots, as well as refugees patiently waiting for solutions to their problems. There were long lines for medical attention, and medical personnel were running to take patients to ambulances.

“I felt as if I were in the midst of a refugee camp,” exclaimed Samuel, one of the elders looking for fellow Witnesses. How were they going to find a few Witnesses in this vast crowd? The elders started out by walking up and down the aisles with large poster boards inviting Witnesses to identify themselves. After searching without success for three hours, they realized that they needed a more practical system. They asked the Red Cross to make an announcement over the public address system: “All who are baptized Jehovah’s Witnesses, please go to the east ramp on the ground floor level.”

Finally, Witnesses began to trickle in with big smiles on their faces. Samuel explains: “They were tearful and filled with joy. They hugged us tightly and held our hands. They were afraid to let go for fear of being lost in the crowd.” On Friday and Saturday, 24 Witnesses were found and were taken to the Witness relief center.

Most of them had almost no material possessions except for the soiled clothes on their backs. One Witness was carrying a small box, the size of a shoe box. It contained some valuable papers—all that she had been able to save from the destructive storm.

At the Astrodome, many people recognized the visiting elders as ministers of Jehovah’s Witnesses and approached them, asking for Bibles and Bible literature. Over 220 Bibles were requested. The Witnesses also offered the public the July 22, 2005, issue of Awake! featuring the very opportune cover series “Natural Disasters—Are They Getting Worse?”

I can't help but wonder if this horrible experience of the friends in Louisiana back then (2005) compelled the Branch to begin recommending go-bags/emergency kits?