JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My test computer just updated windows 10 from build 10049 to 10061-64 bit, bypassing the 2 leaked builds, although one of those may have been for phone only.

Took an hour, including repairing AVG antivirus. 1st time I have to repair it with an update

Apparently it does not like Avast antivirus at all at this time.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Hi Brother Peter,

Very interesting, so how do you like Windows 10 so far?

Too bad about Avast, I just recently changed to Avast because a recent study came out

and ranked Avast as 1 of the best Anti-Virus that is free.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I used to use Avast but changed to Avira - I got tired of all the pop-up "reminders" that Avast used to try and sell their "upgrade" to the paid version.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Windows 10 is to work on all platforms, PCs, phones and tablets.
The current release for fast ( early release ) update has resolved some issues, however there are some known bugs they will fix before general update release. Currently not all older apps will ope, this includes jw library
win 10 has a desktop with start menu that left click brings up a menu on left with tiles on the right.

It will have a new browser Spartan, new video app and new mail and calendar apps

build 10061 locks up a lot. Will send in a report.

If you can get to insiders hub ( win 10 tile ) then you can find out changes to this build.

Just installed this build last night before bed thus just found out about lock up problem upon restart this morning.

Edited by pnutts

I got a Surface Pro 3 a few weeks ago since my laptop is on death row. It runs Windows 8.1 and I think it's great. I don't know what all the fuss was about.

I am looking forward to Windows 10 though. I keep hearing good things about it.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I got a Surface Pro 3 a few weeks ago since my laptop is on death row. It runs Windows 8.1 and I think it's great. I don't know what all the fuss was about.

I am looking forward to Windows 10 though. I keep hearing good things about it.

I got a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2.  I really love the resolution, it's super crisp and clear, but many programs that are not designed for a resolution of 3200x1800 look horrible.  The buttons, menu, etc. in those apps are super tiny, and there is currently no fix until their developers update the programs.  

I love 8.1, except for the tiles screen.  I always just use the desktop view.

Bob, thanks for mentioning that you got the "Surface Pro 3".

Because I was wondering if you were able to load the WT Library CD on it?

And if so, how good does it run?

Thanks. :)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

John, very interesting about the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. that you bought

I did not know that it has such a great resolution of 3200x1800!  Wow!

Does it run Windows Programs like the Wt Library CD?

Or just Android Apps?

But I think that with a great resolution like that, you chose a real good Tablet! :)

Any other reasons you chose it?

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

Bob, thanks for mentioning that you got the "Surface Pro 3".

Because I was wondering if you were able to load the WT Library CD on it?

And if so, how good does it run?

Thanks. :)

Yes, I have installed the WT Library CD. Of course, you need an external CD drive, or a digital copy of the CD. I happen to have the latter :)

It runs just fine. The Surface Pro 3 is in reality a full blown Windows PC tucked behind it's screen. My Surface Pro 3 is more powerful than my laptop and the family desktop.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

John, very interesting about the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. that you bought

I did not know that it has such a great resolution of 3200x1800!  Wow!

Does it run Windows Programs like the Wt Library CD?

Or just Android Apps?

But I think that with a great resolution like that, you chose a real good Tablet! :)

Any other reasons you chose it?

Yes, I love the resolution, it's super bright and clear.  It does run WT Library CD, but I had to buy an external CD drive to load it. I bought it because of the resolution, because it's so thin, and because it folds over so you can use it in "tent" mode, meaning it's like a triangle with the screen facing you and the keyboard on the back.  It's great for watching movies or using the mouse to do photo or video editing (the keyboard is disabled in this mode and in tablet mode).  

I don't use it in tablet mode; it's too big for my tastes, so I have a 2014 Note 10.1 for meeting stuff.  But the Yoga is great for productivity, work, research, etc.  It's very well made.  I just don't like the scaling in some of the programs like I described.

But yeah, it's a windows PC, not android.

Major update tonight. from build 10061 to 10074. Just a week apart. This build also removed 3rd party antivirus. Don't have time tonight to check out new features.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522144        10074 build 64 bit US
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=522145       10074 build x86 US  ( 32 bit )

It does Not like legacy video cards drivers, but will work.

If you update driver, and set resolution above 1080x766 it may only show arrow cursor on black screen and you have to hold down power button to shut off. Then restart and it should go to signin screen.

• 2 weeks later...

IObit's start menu 8  May version ( Freeware ) now works with windows 10 build 10074

There are some leaked builds of win 10 such as 10114, etc but are not stable enough to be released even to "Fast Ring" insiders like me.

Of special note. Those running pre-release win 10 should be able to update to RTM, Release to Manufacturers ( 1 month? before retail ) without clean install.

Win 7 or 8x should be able to update without clean install.

The Free win 10 for 1st year may not be entirely free if you do not have a valid win 7 or 8x license, even though you can update from unlicensed versions.

Also of special note. Updating gives you an old windows folder which can be huge. Trial & Error can remove it - after you make sure everything works.

Edited by pnutts

Microsoft insider news  We’re releasing Build 10080 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones to the Fast ring today (will show as 10.0.12562.84 in Settings > System > About).

Windows 10 build 10122 just released this afternoon. My computer is updating right now. :D

Opps- released for fast ring, not general public. I'm fast ring.

Edited by pnutts

One new thing I discovered about win 10 build 10122 is that once set up you can use a pin number to log in :) Supposed to be more secure.

More secure than a password? 

One thing I do like about Android is the different ways to unlock the screen, such as the finger-trace pattern. That makes logging in quick.... but then again, my problem could just be my long complicated password :)