JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

You should have option of clean install even when upgrading - or so rumor has it.

If iso isn't available you can make own from downloaded esd files. They will be in a hidden folder ( hidden in file explorer but not other file managers ) $Windows.~BT under sources.

However you need to convert them into an iso file using free version of NTlite  x86 or x64 version or similar.

I haven't heard yet how license will be changed to new win 10 one from win 7 or 8.x because they will need to be updated too.

Downloads of win 10 public release will Gradually roll out over a period of time, so as not to crash the servers

Of note there are reports that OEM versions will only be supported for 3 or 4 years, not that they won't continue to work, however no free updates afterwards.

Paid subscription from looks of it.

Got a buggy  kitten wanting attention the one imitating a parrot on my shoulder.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

A good Free program for all versions of windows is patch my pc. It needs net framework 3.5 to work. in win 10 you can add it by going to settings/system/apps & features. add feature  post-5252-0-07628700-1436540376_thumb.jp

N.B. do antivirus manually, it takes too long and may fail setup if done thru patch my pc.

Will try to load PatchMyPc.exe to files, if not you can find it on majorgeeks.com  uploaded but had to change extension  to tiff. Just change back to exe to run.

Edited by pnutts

All of the test builds are available on the torrent sites as ISO files, about 4 GB each. The release version will also be there soon after it's release. I will download one of these if there is no clean install option.

New leaked version today <"build 10176 is a version fair bit ahead of this ( 10166 ).

And although detailed information on what this leaked version brings is not currently available, it is worth a mention that it is the Chinese version that has made its way to the web.

However, chances are that an English language build will follow soon.

Also worth pointing out that Windows 10 RTM was originally planned for this week, but sources indicate that Microsoft is now looking at hitting the milestone sometimes in the middle of next week.

Since this is said to be the very first RTM candidate, we can expect it to be very stable and reliable, but Microsoft still does not recommend installing leaked versions of the preview — unless you know what you are doing and can find your way around any potential errors and usage issues.>"

Edited by pnutts

build 10240 just went up this evening.Am downloading now. Supposed to be last build before RTM or maybe 1st RTM build.

Be back after update complete

Edited by pnutts

build 10240 is RTM :ecstatic::bouncing:

What is RTM?

Ready To Market?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Release To Manufacturers - RTM with only 2 weeks till public release ( gradual rollout ). They could only do this because manufacturers have been using prereleases to test machines and their own bloatware builds :deadhorse::depressed:

• 2 weeks later...

So my laptop runs W7 and came with some reinstallation disks. For a clean install of 10 do I need to reinstall 7 first?

Hang on, that sounds mad!

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

So my laptop runs W7 and came with some reinstallation disks. For a clean install of 10 do I need to reinstall 7 first?

Hang on, that sounds mad!

If you have a legal version of 8.x on laptop at current time, then you can upgrade directly, register computer with "live signin" e.g. hotmail or outlook email.

If not legal, you need legal win 7 with SP1 installed.

If no icon in tray then download iso file of appropriate license and format ( x86 or 32 bit; or x64 -64 bit ) Only 7 ultimate or 8.x pro get win 10 pro.

You can do a clean install After your computer is registered as legal with win 10.

NZ and down under - the win 10 rollout has started as of midnight their respective time zones.

Edited by pnutts

OK - My reserved copy of Windows 10 should be available soon - if I understand it right.

My question is:

This is the system I have

post-2173-0-53011800-1438134696_thumb.jp

Would upgrading to Windows 10 be a good/bad idea for this system?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

OK - My reserved copy of Windows 10 should be available soon - if I understand it right.

My question is:

This is the system I have

attachicon.gifMy Conputer.jpg

Would upgrading to Windows 10 be a good/bad idea for this system?

The specs seem fine for x64 ( 64 bit ) win 10 Home ( or Basic ), which is what you qualify for.

If you want more ram, some programs will run smoother, but what you have should be fine for most users.

Win 10 seems to use less resources than 7 or 8.x and 32 bit OS only use just over 3 Gb Ram whereas 64 bit OS use 2 Gb and up, some programs like freeware Format Factory 64 bit like 4 to 6 Gb and Cyberlink PowerDirector likes at 6 Gb at minimum and 16 Gb really well, along with 8 cores ( but 8 cores get HOT :sweat: :sweat: without a liquid CPU cooler )

I have already done partial migration backup of my main computer, this one, but will let my win 10 test computer do auto install, then re-install clean after it is registered. Will update manually on main computer then clean install and migrate over what I saved.

Win 7 & 8.x have a migration wizard on disk called migwiz.

Edited by pnutts

The Windows 10 setup files have downloaded to my laptop (but not my tablet yet).  The update also automatically downloads Win 10 drivers you need for your PC, so you are good to go. Going to wait a few days and upgrade when I get time.

Clean installs - Once you have upgraded to Windows 10, you can download an iso, or do a system refresh to do a clean install of Windows.

Edited by Jonathan77

My computer told me this morning that Windows 10 is available for download. But I'm going to follow the advice of my friend the computer expert-guru and wait for a month or so before installing it. Hhmmm. I'm getting anxious. :bringiton:

But if I can wait for the new system, then I can wait for Windows 10.

I installed 10 Pro insider preview over the top of 8 Pro and it's updated itself to build 10162. Everything is fine except iTunes is not detecting my iPad when I plug it in. The connection is fine because my iPad keeps asking if I trust this PC, and I can access the DCIM folder.

Anyone else having this issue?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

So I just installed Windows 10 on my desktop. (Never thought I would do this)

So far it works fine, but I don't seem to be able to download JW Library. It gives an error message: 0x803F7003.

Anyone else having the same problem?

WT Library works fine.

I don't know everything yet, but I will be busy the next few days to get to know most of the things I want to use.

I reinstalled iTunes and it's working now. :)

I don't think JW LIB has put out an update to accommodate the Windows 10 upgrade yet (but I may be wrong).  I'm holding off on the upgrade to 10 until I know certain other programs/apps will work with it.  I get a notification that the upgrade is ready but it's up to me when to install.  

Apparently more than a few people are getting that error message with their already installed apps as well as any new ones they try to install after upgrading to Windows 10.  I went to Microsoft to track down an answer for you and here are two alternatives:

Resetting the store cache can resolve issues like this. Refer to these steps to reset the store cache:

1. Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard.
2. Type wsreset.exe in the open box and press Enter.
3. Check if it takes you to a store page which displays that the cache has been reset.
4. Now try to open the store app and check.

Method 3:

I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the apps and check if it helps.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Thanks for helping me out!

I shut down my computer and turned it on 1 hour later and now it works. I downloaded the app whitout any problem.

Next thing is how to add the Whats new feed of jw.org to the Toolbar Favorites in Edge.