JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This thread has gotten quiet .......

Almost everything is working fine with my upgrade to 10 - except, I cannot play any videos!

I have some downloaded from jw.org - have had them all along and they worked just fine. Now, it either says they are unrecognized format (.mp4) or they start to play the audio but not the video.

The ones from JW Broadcasting also will NOT play.

I tried youtube and that worked.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have tried from both Edge and Chrome in Windows 10 and all videos play fine, from every source I've tried so far. I can also do everyhting on this forum with Edge that I could with Chrome. I have found my startup time taking a little longer, but web pages and programs open faster. So far I haven't ran into any major issues. It will take some getting used to as I went from Windows 7 to 10 without using 8 at all. What I didn't like was that my imported bookmarks showed up in Edge in reverse order. Not a deal breaker I'll grant you, but annoying nonetheless.

Have you tried the JW Broadcasting vides with Chrome in Windows 10 John?

Edited by Musky

I have tried Windows Edge and Mozilla Firefox and they will not play in either. I do not have Chrome loaded on this computer.

The ones on my hard drive will also not play - and they are the ones that have played before the upgrade.

Edited by Qapla

Well, the Media Player Classic allows me to play downloaded ones ...... but still no go in the browser

I just got Windows 10 last night and found that I can't watch the tv.jw.org videos in Firefox, but I can hear them. Firefox does play other videos, like youtube and news channels. Chrome does play tv.jw.org, as well as the others, though. Also, both browsers have volume that is really low, even though it's maxed on the page and the computer.

Now, this could be related to the message saying that the Dolby Player isn't working. Or it could be related to how in Windows 8 Firefox had stopped playing most videos.

I just got Windows 10 last night and found that I can't watch the tv.jw.org videos in Firefox, but I can hear them. Firefox does play other videos, like youtube and news channels. Chrome does play tv.jw.org, as well as the others, though. Also, both browsers have volume that is really low, even though it's maxed on the page and the computer.

Now, this could be related to the message saying that the Dolby Player isn't working. Or it could be related to how in Windows 8 Firefox had stopped playing most videos.

Firefox was just updated again to run better in win 10. You may also need to have a helper program/app/extension installed. make sure your flash and shockwave are up to date and it wouldn't hurt to install VLC media player and K-Lite codecs.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Thanks!

Firefox was just updated again to run better in win 10. You may also need to have a helper program/app/extension installed. make sure your flash and shockwave are up to date and it wouldn't hurt to install VLC media player and K-Lite codecs.

I don't know what all that is exactly, but if the problem gets bad enough and I decide to try and fix it, it will help when I search the internet for instructions on how to correct it. I've fixed a couple of things that way. :)

Will Windows 10 cast to the Roku Stick? When I try the "cast to" it says no devices found.

Does your PC or tablet use Miracast?

Click on the Action Centre / Notification icon near the clock.  Then "Connect".  It will search for devices, then select the Roku.  The Roku should then detect this and connect.

If that doesn't work, try Settings > Devices > Connected Devices

Everything on your PC screen will be shown on the Roku device.

Did you reboot after you installed the codec pack?

Yes, I did.

However, I had to disable and remove it. It seems it came with "Wander Burst" included - a PUP Malwarebytes recognized and found 84 items that had to be removed. It took removing it to clean Wander Burst form my computer. I removed the invasive Wander Burst once, and it came back. Once I deleted the Codec, I was able to clean Wander Burst off and it now seems to be completely gone.

I will not install that Codec back on my computer.

Is Malwarebytes any good?  I found a tip online that if you do use Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender, to also use Malwarebytes Free edition as well.  It doesn't provide real-time protection like the Pro version, and thus won't conflict with other antivirus/malware software, but it suggested to run it once a week to scan for anything that WD might have missed.

Is Malwarebytes any good? I found a tip online that if you do use Microsoft's built-in Windows Defender, to also use Malwarebytes Free edition as well. It doesn't provide real-time protection like the Pro version, and thus won't conflict with other antivirus/malware software, but it suggested to run it once a week to scan for anything that WD might have missed.

I use malwarebytes for years now I would gladly recommend it to anyone. It has saved me a lot of trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What's wrong with getting it from the VLC website or MajorGeeks?

He's referring to the list, not the specific source.

Also, there are a lot of malicious websites that will clone websites and repackage reliable software to include malware. Until semi-recently, the top five Google results for "spybot" were malware clones, with the real site fluctuating between rank six and twenty, and Bing still lists malware in an ad above the real result.

Instead of listing all the individual "real" sites for those otherwise unable to distinguish an official source from a malare-filled clone, it's often easier to point people to ninite.com.

Thanks for clearing that up .... it is just that I have never gotten any infected files from MajorGeeks

Most people don't even bother with the reputable download sites, or looking for the official site, they'll just search for what they think is the name and click the first link.

I am not most people. Anyone who has read my posts on computers should be able to tell that, while I may be new to Windows 10, I have a vast amount of computer experience.

It is just that when someone steers people toward a site other than the "official" site and seems to indicate that their named site is the "only" place to get said software - it just makes me wonder what is wrong with the official site.

It is just that when someone steers people toward a site other than the "official" site and seems to indicate that their named site is the "only" place to get said software - it just makes me wonder what is wrong with the official site.

I read it as ninite being a list of verified software, not a sole download source.

I agree that the official site is better, if one knows how to find it, but since there are some on the forum who are not as tech-literate, simply giving the name and "Google it" will inevitably lead to a PC full of viruses.

... If you can't get it from ninite.com, don't get it.

This comment is like the thread title about zero posters - it can be taken more than one way.

When I read it, to me, it says if you cannot d/l the program from this site, don't d/l it from anywhere else.

You seem to read it as, if it isn't listed for d/l from this site, you don't want it.

I guess until train (Thomas) comes back and tells us just how he meant it ............

Majorgeeks gives you option of going directly to author's site

Download from download locations

or go to author's link near top on left Under the program Title

Don't click anywhere else.

Don't click on big green or blue download buttons  post-5252-0-24387000-1439786858_thumb.jp

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: