JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sorry, I'll be an "XP" fan till the day I die. There was nothing "clunky" about it.  It always did what I wanted it to do when I wanted it to do it.  Never had a problem finding things or fixing things with it. The only problem I've had (which I discovered just recently) is that my "Backup Utility" doesn't work.  I click on it and the process starts but the program never runs and that is frustrating since I want to backup my hard drive without having to pay for a program to do it.  If the program I had on XP worked, I'd feel a lot better. 

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Sorry, I'll be an "XP" fan till the day I die. There was nothing "clunky" about it.

If you knew just how trivial it was to hack, you might have second thoughts.

Virus scanners might provide some sense of security, but they'll never be able to tell you who remotely opened that otherwise legitimate remote desktop session and is capturing all your personal information.

xp updates until 2019 

1. Open Notepad
2. Paste the following into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

3. Save the Notepad document as "WEPOS.reg"
4. Open "WEPOS.reg" and click "Yes" at the prompt
5. Check for updates in Windows/Microsoft Update, and install the Windows Embedded and Windows Server updates
6. Enjoy your secure Windows XP computer!

Here's an unsupported registry key that allows Windows XP users to be able to install continuous NEW security/operating system updates made by Microsoft AFTER Windows XP goes out of support on April 8th, 2014!

This is possible because Microsoft is still supporting an OS similar to XP called Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which will receive support until 2019. System updates for WEPOS are compatible with XP; Betanews (http://goo.gl/rVCmSq) developed a registry tweak that allows Windows Update on Windows XP to think it is WEPOS.

Here's a video about Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which is much faster than Windows XP and has continued support until 2019: http://youtu.be/9Kafe9XvR2A

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Peter, thanks for posting this for us XP users instead of "bashing" us for continuing to use an OS that has been loyal and true!

I didn't see any "bashing", just friendly warnings that the OS is dangerously outdated.

On a fresh Windows XP installation, simply connecting to an unfiltered internet connection for five minutes is enough for remote hackers to take control and load it down with viruses. With any sort of internet browsing, there's practically no protection whatsoever.

I know you don't want to leave something that "isn't broke", but when it finally does break, the damage will be far more severe than the occasional blue screen.

I'll take a tried and trued OS over a new one that has no proven security.

An unsecured XP system is like leaving your front door open at night. Sure, nothing has happened yet, but that security comes from the general civility of others, not the well-proven security of open doors.

win 10 is supposed to be the most secure of all windows. When installing just turn off everything except maybe crash reports sent to M$. These "send out reports, location, etc." can also be turned off afterwards.

Since I do it during install, haven't paid too much attention to doings so afterwards, but I know it can be done.

You can add an antivirus to your setup files, so it installs automatically before you get 1st time use. This is more for geeks though.

Edited by pnutts

I still think it's too soon to make proclamations about how secure Windows 10 is yet, sure, it's more secure than an "unsecured" system (I never used Windows firewall or security anyways - always paid for my own programs to secure my computer so I'm not sure why it's considered so unsecure, just because Microsoft isn't there to patch holes anymore. XP has been around long enough where they should of found most of the holes by now anyways), but you can be sure the hackers out there aren't concentrating on hacking old XP systems - they will turn their attention to the new OS.

XP has been around long enough where they should of found most of the holes by now anyways), but you can be sure the hackers out there aren't concentrating on hacking old XP systems - they will turn their attention to the new OS.

As a demonstration, I would to plug in a freshly formatted XP system directly to the modem and start a stopwatch to see how quickly someone would take remote control (average time of 5-10 minutes).

I stopped doing that demonstration after the last hacker decided to play an ISIS hostage video.

Edited by Stavro

I never allow remote control of my computers.

On Windows XP, you don't have to "allow" anything, the hackers do that themselves.

When I was still supporting XP I did use that hack on a few occasions, to skip the hassle of walking the other person through setting up a remote desktop connection.

The scary part is that this was a well-known hack six months before support officially ended, and it was never patched in all that time, and I'm fairly certain it still works even on systems with POS updates.

The other problem with using older operating systems is that they don't support new hardware or software technologies properly - even the internet won't work quite right. The lack of things like DirectX 12 might affect some more than others, but it DOES make a difference.

If you don't move on with the times, you're only hurting yourself.

How to edit privacy settings

"

Anyone concerned about privacy should take a run through the "Privacy" section of the Windows 10 "Settings" menu. This is different from the "Settings" menu for Cortana. You find it by clicking on the Windows icon in the lower left of your screen.

Windows 10 assigns each user on each device a unique "advertising ID," which lets app developers track how each person uses the device and apps. If that bothers you, you'll find the button to turn it off by going to "Settings" and opening the "Privacy" section. You might have to hit the back arrow at the top left if you're already in another section. Click on "General" in the left-hand column to turn off advertising ID. You might still get ads, but they won't be tailored to you.

Similarly, open "Privacy" and click on "Location" to turn off location-tracking or clear the history of where you've traveled with your laptop, tablet or Windows phone.

Another heading under "Privacy" has the innocuous title of "Other devices." That's where you can turn off the ability to "Sync with devices." That feature lets apps on your device share information with things like store-tracking beacons, which send you ads as you walk nearby. If that sounds creepy, turn it off."

Cortina is here for some countries like Canada now. However you must sign up for insider builds starting with 10532.  Will wait for awhile. Supposed to be standard for English in many countires by end of year.  Don't have mic on computers - kitten Luvs the cords.

Edited by pnutts

Well for all you nay-sayers out there who are concerned about us loyal users of Windows XP and our current lack of security - I found a way around it!  It's only for the 32 bit system (it's a bit more complicated for the 64 bit) but all it took was one simple registry key and the security updates are pouring in now and they will keep pouring in until 2019!  Hurray for me and XP! hehe!

Edited by shali

Well for all you nay-sayers out there who are concerned about us loyal users of Windows XP and our current lack of security - I found a way around it!  It's only for the 32 bit system (it's a bit more complicated for the 64 bit) but all it took was one simple registry key and the security updates are pouring in now and they will keep pouring in until 2019!  Hurray for me and XP! hehe!

You mean this key?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

You mean this key?

Yup, yup and yup! As soon as I added it I got 48 security patches that Microsoft tried to screw me out of and my computer is operating a bit better too.