JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

On 05/26/2016 at 4:05 PM, Andrejrulz said:

I bet that everyone have at least 10 years old desktop computer. The thing with win10 is that Microsoft made it so that even computers from the stone age can run it. The minimum requirements for win 10 are the following :

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Just for comparison, my tablet is far superior than those specs with 1.5 quad core processor and 2GB of ram.

So at the end, it's not about not having the proper hardware... but not wanting to change.

I have 2 computers that can Not be upgraded past win 7 sp1. I have tried everyway ecept cloning. Tried yesterday with an E machine

someone had put in our "Take it" area near the recycle bins.Oh well, someone may get use from it.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Jerry. Switch to Cyber link Power Director. Unless you have a better video program. It likes 6 Gb ram or more but will wòrk on less such as x86 ( 32 bit ) machines use ( max 3.2 Gb )

Lucy.  In win7 Set your update settings to notify, but let you choose which to install. You can hide updates you don't want ( right click them )

Edited by pnutts

added

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Windows 10 for a while now. In fact, I am using it while I type this. The other day I received a Windows Update. Everything seemed OK.

I have been busy at work and have not spent much time using the computer. I have visited a few forums and done some other things and all seemed well. I might mention that I usually visit the forums on either Mozilla or Chrome. I do use IE for a few things and that is when I noticed I have a problem.

When I click on the IE Icon,the one on the "quick launch bar" at the bottom of the screen, nothing happens. The Icon will highlight and it "seems" to click, but the app does not launch. I even tried the "All Apps" list and I still can not get IE to launch.

Well, I discovered it does not stop there. I clicked on the JW Library Icon and, yep, nothing happens.

I brought up the "Start" button and there is the usual list of apps and options and all the Icons on the right side where the links are "pinned" to Start. I tried clicking on them one at a time. The first couple did not launch. Got the same results as the "App List" or the "Quick Launch". As I went through all the Icons I have pinned to Start, some did work. I was able to determine that, the ones that work are all "Programs" while the ones that do not work are all "Apps".

For instance, the JW Library from the "MS Store" is an "App" and it will not launch. JW Library on CD/DVD in a "Program" that was installed and it works just fine. 

BTW - since the MS Store is also an "App", it will not launch either so I was not able to try re-installing the JW Library App. I did go to the MS Store "Website" and tried to get the App that way, clicking on the "Get the App" button does not produce any results. I tried deleting a couple apps in case having them installed was why they would not d/l - no help. They still do nothing when I hit the "Get the App" button. I even tried d/l an App I have never had on the computer ans, same as the others, no results.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

UPDATE!

OK, I decided to "Restart" and when Windows started to come back up it displayed the "Do not turn Computer Off" message while it did some "behind the scenes" stuff - don't know if it was d/l addition "updates/fixes" or what since it does not tell you.

Big this is, all is back working!

When I first clicked on the JW Library App after the restart is took a while to launch while it displayed the rotating circle like it does when the App updates, then it launched and all my stuff is still there.

I tried some of the other app and they all seem to be going through the same "re-initialization" routine .... I did have one app that made me re-install.

Our son has a laptop that became sentient and started installing Windows 10 Thursday. It got stuck updating for two days until he accidentally dropped it on his bed then it sprung to life!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

6 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Our son has a laptop that became sentient and started installing Windows 10 Thursday. It got stuck updating for two days until he accidentally dropped it on his bed then it sprung to life!

(Revelation 20:6) . . .Happy and holy is any laptop having part in the first resurrection; over these the blue screen of death has no authority,. . .

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My husband told me that if I die before the big A that (hopefully) when I am resurrected, I will have a tablet in my hand! That's because we set up new tablets for many friends in our congregation and then show them how to use it and especially the JWL app..Lately many of us are switching our cell phone carriers to MPCS..they give us free 8gb smart phones so now we are setting these up too! One sister (over 80) could never afford a tablet, so she got a free Samsung Core Prime when she visited us from a nearby city..I am really proud of her because she has learned to navigate, download, update just by following the "how to" from me over the phone! She has a regular call on a woman who lives in her building and shows her many videos..This woman used to study and then had a stroke and had to move to this low income apartment..Gale, our friend placed a tract with her one day and then called back..she can't talk, but nods her head! This pleases us no end..learning that our efforts to set up these devices for the past 3 years has given pioneers, elderly and even some brothers a head start using these devices! I always give all the praise to Jehovah..after all, it certainly is not extra intelligence on our part..I always say a prayer before setting these up..from making up scriptural gmail addresses to remembering the device setting, getting the important apps, etc.  :coffee:  Of course, we still make pocket letters and place them inside stores..What a blessing for 2 old chemically sensitive publishers..There is always some way to praise Jehovah!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for all you tech savvy Windows 10 people!  When I upgraded to Windows 10, I had troube getting it to find my networked printer.  After 3 weeks, I took the problem to our resident Borg and he solved the problem - the computer my printer was networked to (XP) didn't have the proper permissions checked.  Once I did that my Windows 10 laptop found my printer and I had no problem - - - -until a couple of days ago.  Went to print something and it won't print.  So I uninstalled the printer and now the laptop can't even find it on my network to reinstall!  I have done my due diligence in the Network Sharing Advanced Options and permissions.  I've made sure that my printer is set to share on my XP and has all the permissions.  The ports are correct (I even tried giving it another TCP/IP port with the IP address to my XP computer and it still can't find my printer.  I've rebooted my router, still nothing.  My laptop finds every other device on my network BUT my printer now.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Any suggestions? By the way, after I rebooted my router I got a super quick dialog box on my Windows 10 laptop that said there was a conflict between my Wi-fi and Windows Connect Now.  No way to fix it though and I couldn't find a solution on the internet, although I don't think that has been my problem all along

I tried installing my printer directly to my laptop with the most recent drivers for both computers and once the printer showed up in my "devices and printers" it still wouldn't print even though it showed it was connected to my USB virtua port - it showed "offline" or "no response".  I made sure to check that it was not "offline" but it made no difference.  I'm at the end of my proverbial rope here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've exhausted everything I know to do!  By the way, I've also shut down my firewalls and anti-virus and still no results, laptop still can't detect my printer.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 months later...

I did the day it came out. Worked fine however some of more recent updates messed up laptops until a even newer update fixed it. Still some bugs on desktop computer. Likes to get "something went wrong" notice.  Especially when wife gets on my computer <_<

24 minutes ago, loving life said:

I thought Windows 10 could not be updated any longer?

You can no longer "upgrade" to Windows 10 from earlier versions for free - but Windows 10 can be "updated" as the updates are available.

41 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You can no longer "upgrade" to Windows 10 from earlier versions for free - but Windows 10 can be "updated" as the updates are available.

The ten dollar question is:  If you started to "uprade" to win 10 before the "Free upgrade" ended but only got errors and never completed the "upgrade", can one still get the "free upgrade?"

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

17 minutes ago, rocket said:

The ten dollar question is:  If you started to "uprade" to win 10 before the "Free upgrade" ended but only got errors and never completed the "upgrade", can one still get the "free upgrade?"

I think it depends on what got downloaded the first time you tried to upgrade. If the whole Windows 10 upgrade file was downloaded to your computer, and you only had problems with the installation, then I think you can call MS and they can walk you through the installation. There is a way to tell if you have the file, but I don't remember where it's downloaded to, but you can Google it.

EDIT: Look here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-windows-10-started-installing-pc

Edited by Musky

3 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I am running Windows 10 Anniversary Update. All is well. Love the new notifications area. Cortana and I are getting a little too close, lol.

There's more to Windows 10?

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

There's more to Windows 10?

Windows 10 is the latest version of the Windows operating system, the previous one was Windows 8.1. Two different systems. Up until the end of July, MS was offering a free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10. That offer expired. So now, people who already have Windows 10 on their systems, are getting updates (not upgrades) to Windows 10. Some are small improvements, but the last couple have been pretty major updates, including the "anniversary update".

Edited by Musky

Just a note. Win 10 anniversary update worked fine on most machines. However some of the updates since then esp Sept29/16 update caused problems.

This desktop gives blue screen "some has gone wrong" esp. when wife is streaming to TV.

Laptops for past few updates will show a bunch of lines - Phase 1...       and will just sit there:depressed:.   Unplug all USB peripherals, then restart. Plug in USB stuff after reboot.

Hopefully an upcoming update will fix these soon.:blink:

That was funny Lynn!  Oh man, I think that is how we all were with our first computer!!! I remember my quick launch bar somehow went from the bottom of my screen to the side and I didn't know how it happened and it drove me nuts, took me days to get it back to the bottom of the screen!  When he couldn't open the book at the end of the video, it reminded me of that!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 weeks later...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3199209

Oct 19/16  A new Windows 10 cumulative update in the form of KB3199209, and the good thing is that this one is installing fine for users.
“This update makes stability improvements for the Windows 10 Version 1607 servicing stack.”

Maybe it will fix some startup problem in laptops - i.e. bad booting with usb items plugged in.