JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I like Windows 10. Some older programs don't run well on 10. My CAD program, that I have used for years, has lost some of it's features.

MS Flight Simulator fails to load. There may be others that I don't use often which may be a problem.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I am currently running XP on my computer (and I love it, think it's the best OS Microsoft ever put out) and I haven't been able to find anything anywhere about being able to make the jump from XP to Windows 10.  There are a couple OS's in between them that prevent one from going from XP to 10 (at least that was my understanding).

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Actually I could do a clean install by buying a Windows 10 disk and installing it that way but from what I've read on the internet, it's a very slim bet that the Windows 10 OS would be compatible with my hardware (My computer is 10-11 years old).

57 minutes ago, shali said:

Actually I could do a clean install by buying a Windows 10 disk and installing it that way but from what I've read on the internet, it's a very slim bet that the Windows 10 OS would be compatible with my hardware (My computer is 10-11 years old).

When I did my install off the web the installer examined my system for several minutes before it concluded that Widow 10 was a good match for my equipment. It then asked if I wanted to continue the install, which I allowed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

54 minutes ago, Old said:

When I did my install off the web the installer examined my system for several minutes before it concluded that Widow 10 was a good match for my equipment. It then asked if I wanted to continue the install, which I allowed.

Had no idea you could do an install that way .  What website did you use before you did your install?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/  

This page is for Windows 7 or 8.1. I am not aware of anyone replacing earlier versions of Windows with Windows 10. Perhaps another member might chime in here.

The  link above may "say" BBC News" but it actually links to "http ://jwtalk.net/ forums/topic/21299-windows-10/ ?page=15" - was this intentional?

Edited by Qapla

spaces were added to link to keep it from actually being a link

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

If upgrading and you are satisfied with win 10, don't forget to do disk clean including previous system files. This can save a lot of Gb of drive space. There are 3 steps.

right click on drive C: and choose properties/disk cleanup. Then choose clean system files. Check files you wish to remove, esp old windows files ( this can be several Gb ).

Left click "OK" when you have checked all you wish to remove. and wait. Afterwards do a good disk defrag. I like Auslogics free disk defrag. Much better than built in windows defrag.

disk clean pic 1.jpg

disk clean pic 2.jpg

disk clean pic 3.jpg

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

"If upgrading and you are satisfied with win 10, don't forget to do disk clean including previous system files. This can save a lot of Gb of drive space. ..."

Yes, I did a clean install and my windows.old file was taking up about 700GB!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

And for those wishing to NOT upgrade -like myself.

Here is a handy utility that prevents it - for now. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Remember, windows is set to do this automatically - whether you want it to or not. You have to stop it - if you don't want it!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

10 minutes ago, trottigy said:

Here is a handy utility that prevents it - for now. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Remember, windows is set to do this automatically - whether you want it to or not. You have to stop it - if you don't want it!

You are 'Johnny on the spot' with that one, I was at the point of dirty words with that update. Thank You Jerry!

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I thought I had turned off the update with a registry tweak. It turns out all I did was stop that stupid Windows 10 upgrade NOW! message . 

It had scheduled ITSELF to upgrade :tsk:

Luckily, I found that handy utility to STOP IT. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

8 minutes ago, trottigy said:

I thought I had turned off the update with a registry tweak. It turns out all I did was stop that stupid Windows 10 upgrade NOW! message . 

It had scheduled ITSELF to upgrade :tsk:

Luckily, I found that handy utility to STOP IT. 

Question, Will it stop Win 10 if  'Auto updates' are selected instead of 'update only what you select' in settings.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

1 hour ago, rocket said:

Question, Will it stop Win 10 if  'Auto updates' are selected instead of 'update only what you select' in settings.

good question! don't change the setting and you'll have your answer soon enough! haha!!!

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

page 14 - post #345 :upsidedown:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

12 minutes ago, pnutts said:

page 14 - post #345 :upsidedown:

Why not make that a link instead of making anyone who wants to go there have to navigate to it?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, rocket said:

I don't know and I wouldn't risk it.

Just run that utility https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

And you don't have to worry.

Soon .....

On 5/26/2016 at 6:49 AM, Andrejrulz said:

Even the organization is forcing everyone to move to win10 since the next update of JW Library will REQUIRE windows 10 OS.

Move with the chariot, don't hold back, you won't regret it :D

Why upgrade your PC when you can use a simple tablet or phone? 

Soon .....

4 hours ago, rocket said:

With the Windows 10 update, don't you have to re-install all of your programs just like when you buy a new computer.

No, unless you choose to do so. It's an update.

But, some of them may just not work anymore.

We have 2 laptops. One has 10 and the other Windows 7. I have tested a couple of video editing utilities I use. One doesn't work, so I am not switching until I am ready to upgrade my editing software.

Soon .....

8 hours ago, trottigy said:

I don't know and I wouldn't risk it.

Just run that utility https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

And you don't have to worry.

Thanks for the tip!  I want to keep my Win 7 for as long as I can.  My other lappy already has win 10.  Happy to have both for now. 

One Question: I've run that utility on my Win 7 machine, so does this mean it won't receive any windows updates anymore? Not even for win7 (do they even do that anymore?)

(That was technically 2 questions)