JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Link for Nov 2015? release. There is a link on page to take you direct to M$ if you wish, which I strongly recommend. Download from M$ if you can and save as iso file.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-10-pro-build-11102-64-bit-iso-free-download/

Edited by pnutts

clarification

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

keep-calm-and-don-t-destroy-the-laptop.tUpdate on my issues with my daughter's school laptop running win 10.  I've come to the conclusion it's a dodgy hard drive.  Tried everything suggested above, and the software won't go past a certain point.  Thanks Tim for the tips on downloading win10 installation on a usb.  And Musky for the other tips re: system restore etc.  I've also tried resetting the memory stick, so thanks for that tip too Peter. 

So, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue, and will unfortunately have to bring it into a service place to see if there is any chance of salvaging the files off the damaged HD, which my daughter needs for school.  I don't fancy my chances.... I have some backed up, but did not do a recent backup - oh dear!

Edited by hatcheckgirl

A dodgy hard drive would make sense. I've had several go over the years and learned to recognise the  repetitive chug chug like a stuck record player.

Hope the data is okay. :)

Ive just had a thought  - I've had similar problems with a power supply that was no longer able to supply the correct voltage. I retrieved the date by inserting the drive into another PC.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Thanks Chris, that is one option that my son recommended too.  But I'm not faffing around with my own computer to try installing the dud into mine.  I'm going to call it a day with this one.  What is a 12 mth warranty for if the stoopid thing breaks at 13 mths?!  But of course, if it was accidently dropped.....I don't know what happened for sure because I wasn't there.

An external hard drive case can be bought for less than $10 (amazon.com) which will allow you to transfer your missing info to another PC or just keep it on the remote hard drive. Very simple. I saved the hard drive off a laptop that did the 13 month gig and continue to use it as a back up.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

7 hours ago, Old said:

An external hard drive case can be bought for less than $10 (amazon.com) which will allow you to transfer your missing info to another PC or just keep it on the remote hard drive. Very simple. I saved the hard drive off a laptop that did the 13 month gig and continue to use it as a back up.

So, if the HD is damaged, how can I do that?  Interesting if I can, because it's the files I really want to salvage.  That is why I feel I'm out of my depth and need the professionals to do it.

10 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So, if the HD is damaged, how can I do that?  Interesting if I can, because it's the files I really want to salvage.  That is why I feel I'm out of my depth and need the professionals to do it.

Damaged or not, the process is the same. Remove it from the laptop, plug it into the enclousure and plug the enclosure into another machine. Here's some general information: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2693213/its-cheap-and-easy-to-make-your-own-portable-hard-drive-from-an-old-pc-drive.html Specific instructions on removing your hard drive can usually be found on the manufacture's website. Ideally you would want to stop writing any information to the damaged drive (i.e. trying to fix it) to prevent further damage until after you've made a backup of any important files that are recoverable.

7 hours ago, Old said:

You are using a damaged hard drive as a backup drive?

13 minutes ago, Trey said:

Damaged or not, the process is the same. Remove it from the laptop, plug it into the enclousure and plug the enclosure into another machine. Here's some general information: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2693213/its-cheap-and-easy-to-make-your-own-portable-hard-drive-from-an-old-pc-drive.html Specific instructions on removing your hard drive can usually be found on the manufacture's website. Ideally you would want to stop writing any information to the damaged drive (i.e. trying to fix it) to prevent further damage until after you've made a backup of any important files that are recoverable.

You are using a damaged hard drive as a backup drive?

If you are sure the hard drive is the problem then no. I was under the impression that  windows 10 failed and you can't boot the computer. If that is the case data is still on the drive and can be accessed though a USB port on any windows computer.

Also it is a cheap way to test a hard drive.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

YAY! (I'm doing a little jig!)

I have that option now, and at least I can try to salvage the files.  If it works, then if I can ascertain the HD is the problem, I might just buy another one to keep the puter going for a bit longer.  Seems a terrible waste to buy another one so soon.

A big THANK YOU!!

If drive has been damaged, sometimes it can be repaired and bad sectors marked as bad and not written to.

I use a "Live" disk Hiren's Boot Disk 15.2 revised and a program called HDD restore.

It can take a Longgg time to do a hard drive, but I have repaired some hard drives that way, including sector 0.

• 2 months later...

ID:318  

On 3/17/2016 at 4:05 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Circling this festering carcass of a computer like a buzzard, I feel that I'm getting somewhere now.  Here is what the screen is showing me now:

0xc00021a.png

yeah i get this all the time i also cant play any DVD movies using windows 10 

Edited by bobby

Nothing that a new computer and operator :secret: can't fix. 

Got my wife a new 17" HP laptop last week. 12 Gb Ram 1 Tb Hard Drive - came with windows 10 home 64 bit ( I prefer Pro ).

Interesting...I kept getting popup windows wanting to download Windows 10...I kept closing them.  They were very irritating.  Then I was doing something (can't remember what) and got up and walked away from computer, came back a few minutes later...and my screen says "Windows 10 is 6% completed installation.  Do not turn off during installation."    I immediately unplugged the power, turned my laptop over and took out the battery.  I was hoping it wouldn't cause any issues.

Everything was fine.  I then called Windows Support and told them I did not want the popups and had no intentions of ever getting Windows 10.  Asked how to delete the popups.  She 'took over my computer' remotely and deleted the files that made them continue to appear.  It took a while, close to an hour.  But worth it.  So far...no popups.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

2 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

Just out of curiosity.. do they charge you for that?

No, it was free.  Here's the # I used:  800-642-7676

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

31 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Never 10  link for Small program to remove win 10 upgrade popups, etc from older OS - 7 & 8.x

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Long article for the above mentioned if anyone cares to read.

P.S. Why would someone want to stick with win7 when win10 beats it in every aspect?

20 minutes ago, Andrejrulz said:

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Long article for the above mentioned if anyone cares to read.

P.S. Why would someone want to stick with win7 when win10 beats it in every aspect?

It is called "I Don't Like Change", Inertia.:depressed:

My wife is the same way. However now she has a New Laptop that came with win 10 and was forced to find her files from old computer, which I put on 2nd partition by herself, since I wasn't home.

Edited by pnutts

4 hours ago, shali said:

Not everyone can afford a new computer when the older one becomes un-upgradeable  either.

I bet that everyone have at least 10 years old desktop computer. The thing with win10 is that Microsoft made it so that even computers from the stone age can run it. The minimum requirements for win 10 are the following :

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Free hard disk space: 16 GB

Just for comparison, my tablet is far superior than those specs with 1.5 quad core processor and 2GB of ram.

So at the end, it's not about not having the proper hardware... but not wanting to change.