JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since the initial upgrade to win 10 from 8.1, all seemed to go fine. Except this one annoying thing that no matter how I try to fiddle with the security permission, the system  won't let me save files in Documents, or pics in Pictures.  It says I 'don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission'.

I've set the permissions for me as admin, and followed numerous advice articles on Win forums regarding this.  But I'm still stuck saving a copy onto the desktop.

Yesterday I tried setting up a new Documents folder with all permissions set, but system did not let me replace it with the Documents folder already there. 

Any ideas what to do next?

Try going to your c:/users/ your account/documents and saving that way. I have found that documents do not always save to documents listed at top

post-5252-0-14378200-1447543910_thumb.jp

There are ways to take control of folders, etc., however not for the faint of heart, it can cause major security problems if you do it wrong.

I prefer a different folder for my documents and save all documents to it - on a different partition/drive.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

One note for November Win 10 release. If you have installed win 10 in past 31 days, you can not update to win 10 Nov release until 31 days are up.

Also new in this release is removal of roll back partition, for those that had one. ( personally I keep an image file of versions I want to keep on another partition/drive - just a few minutes to restore )

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...

I opted into the Insider Preview (slow) thingy a while back and it eventually installed a build without text in the corner. But the PC was without an Internet connection a couple of weeks ago and it somehow managed to install Pro evaluation copy 10565

Is this old?

How do I opt out of Insider Preview and get standard Pro back?

Thanks!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

This is the last word, for me anyway. Are you all ears?

For several months I've been considering Windows 10 very closely, wondering whether or not to upgrade and give it a try. It's still sitting there in my Windows Update waiting for me to do something with it. (I use Windows 7 Home edition.) I have heard of a few problems that some here have had with Windows 10, and how others have gotten around those same problems and corrected matters. I have also listened very carefully to all the comments and suggestions in this thread, for which I thank you all greatly. But it's those problems some of you have had, and having to go running around looking for solutions, that still make me apprehensive. What kind of problems will I have with Windows 10, and how long will I have to go running around looking to find out how to fix it? I've always had the thought in my mind: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That means, if Windows 7 works fine (it does), then why upgrade?

What bothers me the most is a brother in my congregation, a very good friend, who installed Windows 10 over his Windows 8.1 several months ago... and to this day has not been able to get his email to work. And that, even with the help of his ISP and Microsoft! I'm not sure of the exact problem he has, but it just won't work—no way, no how! He has to use the email on his older Windows 7 computer. Needless to say, he doesn't want to upgrade that one too.

I have mentioned in a couple of previous posts in this thread that there is an acquaintance I come across now and then who is a computer wizard-genius-expert-guru. This is a guy who works with computers almost every waking moment doing computer repair. He is the one who directed me towards buying my present laptop a few years ago, a Toshiba, which he says he has had fewer problems with than any other make. I am very happy with the recommendation he made, and am very satisfied that I followed his advice. I trust him. Well, today I saw him again, and finally he gave me one recommendation that I intend to follow. He told me not to install Windows 10! He's had trouble with it too, serious enough that he wants to convert all his own computers back to their previous versions of Windows. (To be fair, he did say some good things about Windows 10. Ex: generally much faster, like with the startup speed, and shut down in four seconds flat!) So he told me Microsoft will be supporting my Windows 7 for another five years, by which time I will likely want to get a new computer anyway. So why bother with potential problems with Windows 10 now? I can continue to be happy with Windows 7, and then in five years I will be able to get a brand new computer with Windows 14 freshly and professionally installed! (and probably not paying any attention to the offers of a free upgrade to Windows 19)

'nuf said about that. I don't see the need now to ask any more questions in this particular thread, nor read any responses. But I do sincerely thank you all very much for your time and patience. Greetings from Montreal!

post-1993-0-69010300-1449290249.gif

Eric, all that is interesting and all, but why would we care if you use Windows 10 or not? 

Does that mean you are cancelling the pool you had going?

:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This morning I got a Microsoft Win 10 upgrade.It was over my "old" Win 10 org download.  It took some time to upload and install.  It froze at the first boot. Power down to boot. It booted OK again but froze with 3 windows open.

My performance monitor said 97% memory used and 100% CPU usage. I had to power down again with the power switch.

The next boot up lasted longer, but still froze. Another forced power down but a quicker boot time. Eventually the up time is very good. It seems to run faster as well.

So Microsoft has some tricks up their sleeves, repairing things on each reboot.

I do like the fact that Win 8.1 and Win 10 allow JW Lib to run.

I saw an info page (I wish I'd have saved it) that said that Win 10 is actually Win 8.1  !! Kinda like some previous versions of windows. Make some changes and jump up the number!

I hope that this my last reboot. :uhhuh:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

To all the boffins who know 'stuff':

Please, I need a bit of info on how to fix my daughter's Dell Inspiron 15 running Win 10, or should I say not running anymore.  It's just out of warranty (by a month), been running mostly ok since upgrading to win 10 last year, and now has carked it (as in it's saying it can't be repaired and sits on a darkish screen waiting for me to help fix it).  The options it offers range include reinstalling win (how, I don't have a copy?), restore point, recovery disk, command prompt, and something else.  All these options for me seem to imply it's going to wipe out all data files (which my daughter needs for school!!).  That's true, isn't it?

I didn't make a back-up to restore, just a copy of files she uses, but that was not that recent unfortunately.

So, if you have any clues that may help me to investigate where to go from here, preferably without loss of too much data, please let me know (in simple language please :) ).

Thanking you kindly (with a hint of desperation).

I (somehow, I forget how!) recently reinstalled Windows 10 choosing the option to 'keep all data and programs intact' in a futile attempt to make it run faster. Everything survived.

btw, I have found BackBlaze to be a very good constantly running backup of nearly 2TB of data for $5 (U.S.) per month.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I now have the black screen of iniquity, it just won't be starting up anymore.  Yesterday, still on the advanced options for troubleshooting, I chose to do a system restore, but when I picked one restore point, it just hung there like a lazy sloth (really hating this beast now).

Some ideas to investigate?  I've read that it could be the the display cable, so related to the lcd disply, or the motherboard, or even the RAM has been knocked out (yes, apparently it was dropped once  so maybe this is the most obvious cause).  All of this is beyond my capabilities to fix, so before I choof off to the guy up the road to fix it for big $$$, I'm hoping any here may have ideas.

When you chose the restore point and it "just hung there", how long did you give it? I have had system restores take several hours when the system files are badly corrupted. Most likely a bad Windows update may have caused this, so restoring the system can be a long process. 

Try turning off the computer, then turn it on and as soon as the BIOS screen (usually black and white) finishes, hit the "F8" key as fast as you can, several times. It should take you to the advanced startup menu. From the list, try highlighting "Safe mode" and see if it will start in that. Once you are in safe mode, you can try doing a system restore from there. If that doesn't work, post back. 

Circling this festering carcass of a computer like a buzzard, I feel that I'm getting somewhere now.  Here is what the screen is showing me now:

0xc00021a.png.bc1b5da41f44167b00fa80d55f

So I did google the error message (lucky there is another pc to google on) and there seems to be some good solutions.  Just need a hand in understanding how to get to the screen they are talking about, since my puter is now hanging on this screen for about an hr now.

http://appuals.com/best-fix-steps-fix-error-0xc000021a/

On this site it says:

In order to resolve this problem, you have to boot Windows manually. Booting the Windows in safe mode wouldn’t more in most cases. So, you have to boot it using force drivers to have signature disabled option available inside Advanced Boot Options. To access this option, follow the steps below.

1. Restart the PC from Windows holding the Shift key and clicking on the Restart. If you can’t access the Restart option on your Windows, then you might need to boot through a Windows bootable USB.

But now that I have the above screen showing, how do I restart the PC from windows holding the shift key, since I can't get windows up? Am I really that obtuse that I'm missing the obvious?  I need to get to the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings screen to Press F7 labeled as Disable driver signature enforcement.  And then hope for the best.....

The problem with some of the later computers, besides Windows restore and repair system, the manufacturer puts it's own repair/restore system to help recover the system and these can tend to interfere with each other.  HP and Dell are two of the companies that do this. You really need to either take it to a neighborhood computer shop or have a tech come to the house where the computer is located. (NOT BestBuy). Because there can be many different issues that pop up as the repair is progressing  there should be someone who knows what they are doing to deal with these "hands on". It is too difficult to provide "long distance" help. I wish we lived close! :)

Meanwhile, try the combination of  CONTROL-ALT-DELETE keys and see if that restarts the system or brings up the Task manager. If that doesn't work, hold down the power button for five seconds and the system will shut down. Then you can try restarting it. 

8 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But now that I have the above screen showing, how do I restart the PC from windows holding the shift key, since I can't get windows up? Am I really that obtuse that I'm missing the obvious?  I need to get to the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings screen to Press F7 labeled as Disable driver signature enforcement.  And then hope for the best.....

I would use a Windows 10 installation USB to get to those advanced options

2 minutes ago, Trey said:

The first link does have the steps, but the creators of the second link also have a step-by-step with pictures (with 24 pages of comments afterwards) if it's not clear enough.

I didn't see the embedded links from my phone. Thanks for helping! The more people that contribute something makes it easier to help. Especially if someone has had and recovered from this same problem, which I haven't.

You lovely brothers, thanks so much for helping me!  Not fixed yet, but I'm slowly getting there.  Because this is a slooooow process, booting up, etc etc.  I'll let you know when I've reinstalled windows and tried the suggestions to disable driver signature blah blah etc.

And then, before I send it off to be fixed, I might just kick it....just a little kick.... :devil: