JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am not most people. Anyone who has read my posts on computers should be able to tell that, while I may be new to Windows 10, I have a vast amount of computer experience.

It is just that when someone steers people toward a site other than the "official" site and seems to indicate that their named site is the "only" place to get said software - it just makes me wonder what is wrong with the official site.

The massive advantage of using ninite is that their installers automatically remove any malware/adware/bundleware from the install of the programs you want. Downloading them from their official site seems like a good idea, but take QBitTorrent for example. Great program, completely legitimate. But their "official" download link is sourceforge, where everything is crawling with adware. Using ninite serves as a protection.

It's also convenient because you can get many programs installed all at once, quite easily and quickly.

The massive advantage of using ninite is that their installers automatically remove any malware/adware/bundleware from the install of the programs you want. Downloading them from their official site seems like a good idea, but take QBitTorrent for example. Great program, completely legitimate. But their "official" download link is sourceforge, where everything is crawling with adware. Using ninite serves as a protection.

The "official" QBitTorrent download is on FossHub, not SourceForge, as can be seen on their official site. http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

Ninite did not alter the installer at all, they merely used the real source rather than the one altered by SourceForge.

well now I have updated to win 10 my laptop stoped working

You can revert back if you updated properly.

You may also just need updated drivers. 

Check response below

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Here is one link. However a quick look doesn't seem to address if computer isn't working.  Will look for more and post them.

http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Here is a better one

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html  

and one more

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

Edited by pnutts

Okay, I just got turned off of Windows 10... unless someone has a suggestion. A friend of mine in the congregation got a free upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1), and installed it last week. It looks ugly.

All the windows in his browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, have a black background with white letters. And links are bright blue that glow in the dark! Everything is very hard to read that way. Is that normal?

And he can't receive or send emails anymore either. All the connections gave out. I think he uses Windows Live Mail. He has to use his other computer for that now, which still has Windows 7 on it. That's what I have, and it looks much better than the ugly Windows 10!

Peter (or someone else), please help!

All the windows in his browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, have a black background with white letters. And links are bright blue that glow in the dark! Everything is very hard to read that way. Is that normal?

Mine did not do that. The upgrade did not change the appearance of my computer.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Mine did not do that. The upgrade did not change the appearance of my computer.

Didn't happen with mine either. But, I do use a custom theme for Chrome so maybe that saved me.

What did happen is when I logged into the app store to get the JW Library app (which works great) It changed the way I login to the computer. After using the store, I had to use the login and password of my Microsoft account to get into my system. I had no password set before because the computer never leaves the house and I have nothing to hide from my wife  :)

I finally got it back to the way I like it, but it took several settings and a registry edit to do it. 

Okay, I just got turned off of Windows 10... unless someone has a suggestion. A friend of mine in the congregation got a free upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1), and installed it last week. It looks ugly.

And he can't receive or send emails anymore either. All the connections gave out. I think he uses Windows Live Mail. He has to use his other computer for that now, which still has Windows 7 on it. That's what I have, and it looks much better than the ugly Windows 10!

Peter (or someone else), please help!

I forgot to suggest a few things in my last post.

Can't he setup his Windows Live mail account again on his Windows 10 machine? Setting up email accounts is pretty basic stuff.

Also, I prefer a dark background with white letters and already had my Windows 7 system setup that way before my upgrade, so I liked the way Win !0 looks, so I guess it did set mine up by default like it did your friends, But I know with Chrome and FireFox, you can download themes to make them look anyway you want them to. I read that Windows Edge will also have theme options in the future by MS, but there may be third party theme available now. I haven't looked. 

I have done both upgrade installs and fresh installs of 10, and I've never seen anything like that happen. In all the important ways, it looks identical to Windows 7 and 8.

My guess would be that you have some third-party theme/display software that interprets the windows 10 settings differently, or some settings from Windows 8 didn't transfer properly.

Try following the directions on this page, but instead UNchecking the "ignore" checkboxes, to force pages to load the default styles.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-webpage-colors-fonts#1TC=windows-7

Black background, etc sounds like a bad video driver or even a bad setting. Stavro mentioned third party themes. There is a dark theme that was part of an earlier unofficial release build, but I never used it.

I use the current official "paths" theme. It has been available for win 7 & 8.x.  Then there is the webs theme ( spider webs ) and landscapes.

You may have to tweak your theme a little, with colours to adjust to a lighter shades.

post-5252-0-75628500-1440460786_thumb.jp

When will we get a simple way to change any icon we want to change - like we used to be able to do with a simple right click?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Reading through this thread, I am surprised how many brothers are so excited to try Win10 out. 

I feel very cautious about doing so.  It took me a long time to figure out Win8 and now to change again, I don't know if it is worth the time and energy to learn again. 

What do you feel are the advantages of Win10? 

Does this simplify anything in anyway?

I hardly ever use the Win8 menu screen, so am wondering if I should update and have everything together. 

I never had Win 7, I went from Win xp to Win8. 

Would love to know what problems I would have to look forward to if I decide to change and what are the plusses to changing?

Would love to know what problems I would have to look forward to if I decide to change and what are the plusses to changing?

My update went smoothly. I didn't have to change anything or learn anything new yet. The stupid side bar is gone. Yeah!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My side bar on Wins 8 changes position at times and I don't know why. Sometimes it is on the side but sometimes it is on top. I don't know if I accidently hit an off key or what I do to make it change. 

It usually repositions itself after I restart my computer. I just figure it gets bored in one place so it has to move from time to time. 

Can you left-click on an empty spot on the sidebar and hold the mouse-button down as you drag the sidebar to where you want it?

I'm asking because I don't use Windows 8, so I'm not sure.

you are so very smart Musky, that does move it. 

So how do you like Windows 10? and what do you like the most?

I am liking it more everyday. I dislike the "cubes" or "cells"  in the start-menu, so I use "classic shell" and have the start menu and Windows explorer looking and working like Windows 7. I do find Windows 10 faster in opening programs and webpages then my Windows 7 install, but the start-up time when booting the computer is the same or maybe even a little slower. I like the darker theme that comes with 10. I like the dark task-bar and start menu.

One small feature I like is the calculator in Windows 10 has many "converter" options. Like Miles to kilometers, temperature, length, etc. very customizable and useful.

I upgraded from XP - got tired of the reminders that my OS was no longer supported

Don't really like the "flat look" and some of the icons but I can deal with that

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

you are so very smart Musky, that does move it. 

So how do you like Windows 10? and what do you like the most?

I am liking it more everyday. I dislike the "cubes" or "cells"  in the start-menu

Tiles. And they can be rearranged, changed, categorized, and deleted with just a few clicks!

You're welcome.

I just had a thought. If you right-mouse click on an empty spot on the sidebar, do you get a menu? If so, see if one of the options is to "lock the sidebar". If it is, check that and it will stop changing on you. 

Again, you are right on, thanks so much.