JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I don't know what I have done. I have  gone to the apps. I would like to switch back to the Desktop. How can I do that please?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I don't know what I have done. I have gone to the apps. I would like to switch back to the Desktop. How can I do that please?

I don't understand the issue here, but putting the mouse pointer in the bottom right corner and clicking should always return you to your desktop. Or you can press the Windows key on the keyboard to open the Start menu. If you have managed to go into tablet view on Windows 10, then simply click the notification center icon on the bottom right, and click "tablet view" again.

Edited by train

My Windows 10 reservation finally showed up today so I updated. Everything seems to be fine so far. The only problem I had was that I couldn't save to my Pictures folder, it said I needed administrator rights but I was logged on as the administrator. My left handed way of fixing it was to create another folder for my pictures, make it the default and delete the first folder. Everything works fine now.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My Windows 10 reservation finally showed up today so I updated. Everything seems to be fine so far. The only problem I had was that I couldn't save to my Pictures folder, it said I needed administrator rights but I was logged on as the administrator. My left handed way of fixing it was to create another folder for my pictures, make it the default and delete the first folder. Everything works fine now.

You didn't Really think M$ would ship out a bug free OS did you? :tongue:

Just in. Update KB3081424 for win 10 x64

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have a question about IObit, mentioned eariler.  Is it just their start menu app that should be avoided or other software.  I have used Unlocker program that deletes files that won't shift.  I haven't had any troubles with that and there was no 3rd party stuff either.

Used Windows 10 for a week now, and getting used to it.  Upgraded both laptop and tablet.  Tablet upgrade went better than the laptop.  Only 13gb free space before upgrade, but updated no problems.  After disk clean-up, I have more free space than before!   Actually I think JW Library is a little bit quicker with Win10.

In win 10, although I liked Iobit start menu 8 with win 8, I prefer standard win 10 start menu - especially the right click features - by passes control menu in win 7 & Iobit start menu 8.

You can use wise care unlocker and wise care uninstaller stand alones ( both part of wise care 365 now updated for win 10.

uncheck a lot of features if use wisecare, you have to choose to install other features mentioned ) .

Install unchecky too.

Patch my PC was updated to 3.x version - allows you install and keep updated several useful programs, such as winrar and flash, Sumatra PDF etc.

Don't install antivirus programs this way - it takes too long. Don't instal win updates this way either, it tries to download them all, even if you had hidden them.

I went ahead an did the upgrade to Win 10 which is ok. But can anyone recommend a decent cheap or free antivirus program that works with it?. I've always had Norton's 360 but don't want to pay the renewal fees this year.

Thanks!

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I'm sorry, Peter, not to dispute, but I'm not a fan of a lot of the software you mentioned. Bad reputations and some are unnecessary. I'd easily recommend Ninite over PatchMyPC; Wise Care is a waste of resources, and IOBit is malware.

Tammi: I would usually recommend Avast!, which is one of many free programs that can be installed without any extra bloatware using ninite.com. After installing it, go into the Settings tab and disable Avast sounds, put it in silent mode, and set popups to 1 second instead of 20 seconds.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/anti-virus-for-windows-10-technical-preview/9f5ca9a9

Anti-Virus for Windows 10 Technical Preview

CYCyber_Defend_Team started on October 14, 2014See post history

MVP Community Moderator MCC: Content Creator Most Recommended Discussion

Windows 10 Technical Preview released to the public and many of you may already tried it or you are planning to install and give it a try. Many people asked about Anti-Virus for Windows 10 Technical Preview, here some of common questions are going to be discussed:

Am I able to install Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 10 Technical Preview?

No, you could only install Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 and Windows Vista. For Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview you already have Windows Defender pre-installed which is Anti-Malware protection and it is replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials. You don't need to do anything just open start and search for Windows Defender and make sure it is on and update.

What Anti-Virus should I install for Windows 10 Technical Preview?

You don't need to install any Anti-Virus program, because you already have one which is Windows Defender. It protects you against Virus, Worm, Trojan, Spyware, Adware and other malicious programs same as what Microsoft Security Essentials is doing in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Am I able to install other Anti-Virus software?

Many people reported about compatibility issues with current Anti-Virus programs in Windows 10 Technical Preview. To check compatibility status of your Anti-Virus with Windows 10 Technical Preview, you should contact the Anti-Virus vendor and verify with them. Since it is technical preview , many Anti-Virus companies haven't release new version which is compatible in this release.

Personally I use AVG free over Avast since it always worked with win 10 previews and Avast didn't.

Use wise care standalones for uninstaller and force delete, if you need it.

Wisecare 360 is ok if you pay attention to what it installs and what runs in the background. Not for faint at heart.

Much comes down to personal choice.

Always back up your drive before adding much to it. Always on another drive or partition.

Wisecare 360 is ok if you pay attention to what it installs and what runs in the background. Not for faint at heart.

Why bother with these less-reputable companies that constantly attempt to install malware, when there are better options from companies that make money solely by providing a good free product and selling corporate licenses?

To me, the difference is like choosing whether to get free food from the food bank, or a restaurant dumpster. Sure, the dumpster food might look a little more appetizing once you pick off all the maggots and arrange it on a plate, but why take the risk?

On second thought, ignore what I just said. These companies are indirectly giving me nearly all my PC repair clients, and I'm not sure I want the drop in income right now.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security. What do you guys think about that program?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

What Anti-Virus should I install for Windows 10 Technical Preview?

You don't need to install any Anti-Virus program, because you already have one which is Windows Defender.

Windows Defender is not a valid substitute for a reputable security program.

Personally I use AVG free over Avast since it always worked with win 10 previews and Avast didn't.

Always back up your drive before adding much to it. Always on another drive or partition.

I had heard a few people had issues with Avast (especially if they installed prior to the upgrade), but it seems installing it post-upgrade works fine. I could go either way on AVG; it's fine as an AV, but I don't like that it basically has a browser hijacker built in.

Backups. Yes.

Pnutts, beautiful pics by the way. I have surface pro 3 and really like it and looking forward to windows 10. But I do need to get a good anti-virus. Haven't read all the posts yet so maybe I can find something that works good for others.

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

I use Trend Micro Internet Security. What do you guys think about that program?

One of my bottom five.

Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Panda.

Trend Micro is in your bottom five? Ouch.

What don't you like about it?

What is your top five? I don't mind paying the annual fee if I get good protection. 

I had heard a few people had issues with Avast (especially if they installed prior to the upgrade), but it seems installing it post-upgrade works fine. I could go either way on AVG; it's fine as an AV, but I don't like that it basically has a browser hijacker built in.

Backups. Yes.

Again. Don't accept addons from any program unless you know and want what it does.

I like AVG because it works and is Free. Have tried other AV's over the years but Norton got to be too much bloatware, and others,

well, that is why I use stand alones every once in awhile, usually while running a live disk OS

I will say that I will defer to the brothers that make a living at computers, even though many give some differing advice from each other.

For me, it is an interesting hobby, and am mostly self taught, although I have taken some courses, and worked on several dozen computers.

It is not my bread & butter thus haven't dealt with as much crud as more experienced brothers.

Although, I have done things with a computer that was not supposed to be able too. :D

I putter on 'puters :whistling::thumbsup:

Edited by pnutts

Bye the way. Windows 10 x86 will Not install on a Compaq 6037C, or not yet. Only tried once late last night. Will flip HDD's around and try again with stand alone win 10 x86 Home, and not an all in one.

Edited by pnutts

There are AV comparision websites like av-test.org for those who want to know what is best one to get.  But sometimes it is just a matter of personal preferences and want you can afford.  The only reason why I use Kaspersky is because it is one of highly rated and I get it for the best price - free!

Windows Defender / Security Essentials used to score highly on AV tests when it was first released, then went downhill.  I don't know if the Win10 is any better.

Like Peter, I'm self taught.  I fix and help many brothers with their PCs.  Myself and another brother in the other congregation that share the hall have been asked to maintain the Kingdom Hall laptop.  But we both have different opinions on various matters, eg what AV to use.  I did a search for IObit software, looked at some reviews and comments.  Mixed bag.  Some say great no problems, others complain about the added "extras".

We can all differ on many things, like computers.  As long as we agree on one thing - The Truth!

Again. Don't accept addons from any program unless you know and want what it does.

I test freeware by installing it in a freshly formatted virtual machine (manually opting out of the ads), then with zero other changes I'll push forward the date in one-month increments. If nothing shows up after a year, I'll uninstall the software and keep pushing the time forward for another year.

So far, I've not found even one program with "optional" add-ons that did not install those add-ons in some manner. Selecting "do not install" doesn't make much of a difference, it only pushes back the automatic installation date to far enough in the future that it's hard to trace the source.

Trend Micro is in your bottom five? Ouch.

What don't you like about it?

What is your top five? I don't mind paying the annual fee if I get good protection.

Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Panda.

Trend Micro hasn't been much of a player for years. That's why they subsidize sales at Best Buy.

Does anyone use the new Microsoft Edge browser?

I just noticed that if I try to post and message with a smiley, it won't post. 

Other little quirks also, like clicking on Quote.  The post isn't quoted, I have to press it again, then it appears in the comment box.