JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The WT library and JW library app have both worked fine in windows 10 for past 2 months ( I am a fast ring insider ).

Of note - you have to be signed in with a windows "live account"  such as hotmail or outlook email's to use the 'store' to get apps.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Couldn't wait for the upgrade to come normally to my computer so I used the 'media' thingie to manually update. Update is halfway through now. I am really looking forward to trying it and to see it in action myself. I'll contribute more to this discussion from tomorrow :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Couldn't wait for the upgrade to come normally to my computer so I used the 'media' thingie to manually update. Update is halfway through now. I am really looking forward to trying it and to see it in action myself. I'll contribute more to this discussion from tomorrow :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's up and running. I am satisfied so far! It works so smooth

It's up and running. I am satisfied so far! It works so smooth

I'm getting jealous!

It's not Christian to be jealous so Microsoft better help me to be a better Christian!

I want my update now!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Try these links at this page.  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_10.html

Note Well ( N.B.)  if you have win 7 Ultimate, Pro or 8.x pro you can update to win 10 pro ( 64 bit or 32 bit )

If you have any home edition that is all you can update to ( 64 bit or 32 bit ).

Using above prelinks - I recommend download to media, either usb ( min 5 Gb free and NTFS format ) or DVD as an iso file.

It will also put setup files in $windows~BT folder - which maybe hidden or partially hidden on your C: drive.

You need at leat 40 Gb free on your drive since it makes a folder "windows old" with all your current windows files in it.

new edition of patch my pc  https://patchmypc.net/download

Edited by pnutts

Would have posted the above sooner but had fan failures on my main computer.

Have win 10 clean install on this computer now, slimmed down some 50 Gb off my C: drive,

that is untill I put cyberlink programs back on ( 10 Gb there alone ), but at least the left overs are gone :ecstatic:

Have to go and see if my test computer has any new goodies, :coffee::idea:

Edited by pnutts

Don't like the new start menu, going back to using Classic Shell on my laptop.

Also, I'm finding Win 10 is less touch friendly, even in Tablet Mode.  Example.  Open PDF reader app, and tap on browse to open a file.  Before on Win8 it was a full screen, touch friendly way of browsing files.  Now it opens the regular Windows dialog box for browsing and selecting files.  I have to use my stylus because it is so small.

Don't like the new start menu, going back to using Classic Shell on my laptop.

Also, I'm finding Win 10 is less touch friendly, even in Tablet Mode.  Example.  Open PDF reader app, and tap on browse to open a file.  Before on Win8 it was a full screen, touch friendly way of browsing files.  Now it opens the regular Windows dialog box for browsing and selecting files.  I have to use my stylus because it is so small.

Iobit has a windows 10 start menu that looks like win 7 and it is Free

After changing some settings, I am liking the new start menu.  Removed all the tiles, except for mail, weather and calender, which I set on live tiles.

I did find one problem when changing the start menu, pin and unpinning items.  And after searching the web, found it was caused by Kaspersky Internet Security.

Did a disk clean-up afterward.  I've decided to keep it, so removed the old windows and other files.  Gained over 20gb.  No going back now.

Iobit has a windows 10 start menu that looks like win 7 and it is Free

So, now, I'm confused!

Don't mean to pit brother against brother, I do trust your expertise when it comes to computer knowledge.

I tried to quote Thomas but something went wrong.

Edited by 1gemstone

IObit is not overtly malicious in itself, but they do make their products very difficult to uninstall, and their installers often include adware and other unwanted programs that most security organizations categorize as a virus.

For personal use, I would not recommend it, unless you don't mind dealing with a stream of ads.

For KH audio/video use, DO NOT USE IT AT ALL, EVER. Even if you personally don't mind the popups and unclosable autoplay videos, it's normally not preferable to have a Ford commercial start playing over the sound system in the middle of the opening song. (For the record, I was against the use of any untested software on the computer, especially since I'm the one who has to undo the damage every couple days, but a newly-appointed MS was able to convince an elder that the start menu was "necessary".)

I'm finding it ok too.  Though this may be unrelated, I'm adding it here in case it is something others may encounter.

Just found the permissions on my word docs were awry after the upgrade to Win 10.  When I went to save a doc it said I didn't have the permission for this network (something similar).  Wasn't sure if it was because my Office 365 had expired, but this message also came up with my old Office 2013 Word.  So I googled the message, and had to change the permission for "administrator" in the properties for the documents folder.  Both versions of Office seem to save alright now.

I still haven't upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 yet on my old laptop due to conflicting reports. Is it worth making the switch now?

Come join our service group singers......♫ Grant us boldness we witness....help us overcome our fear. ♫

I did find one problem when changing the start menu, pin and unpinning items.  And after searching the web, found it was caused by Kaspersky Internet Security.

Could you provide a link to that? I'm having that problem and just chalked it up to a Windows 10 bug, but I use Kaspersky as well.

Could you provide a link to that? I'm having that problem and just chalked it up to a Windows 10 bug, but I use Kaspersky as well.

Ok, here is the link to Microsoft forum

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/pin-to-start-not-working/8346bb8c-2e7b-4408-968c-bdd26c3aa619?page=1

For some it is Kaspersky​ causing the problem, but not for all.  Its a try and see situation.  When they fix it, I'll download and reinstall it.

IObit is not overtly malicious in itself, but they do make their products very difficult to uninstall, and their installers often include adware and other unwanted programs that most security organizations categorize as a virus.

For personal use, I would not recommend it, unless you don't mind dealing with a stream of ads.

For KH audio/video use, DO NOT USE IT AT ALL, EVER. Even if you personally don't mind the popups and unclosable autoplay videos, it's normally not preferable to have a Ford commercial start playing over the sound system in the middle of the opening song. (For the record, I was against the use of any untested software on the computer, especially since I'm the one who has to undo the damage every couple days, but a newly-appointed MS was able to convince an elder that the start menu was "necessary".)

The secret is Don't install 3rd party stuff.

I never had that problem with Iobit start menu.

Always choose Custom Install and also use "unchecky" to help from installing 3rd party bloatware, although it doesn't catch them all.

There are features of win 10 start menu that I like so haven't installed it in past few insider builds. Win 10 menu is customizable.

Edited by pnutts

Always choose Custom Install and also use "unchecky" to help from installing 3rd party bloatware, although it doesn't catch them all.

True, but given that this is the company that stole the antivirus database from another company to be sold as their own, I'm not sure I'd trust them at their word when they say unchecking all the boxes means the ads won't be installed.

The secret is Don't install 3rd party stuff.

I never had that problem with Iobit start menu.

There are features of win 10 start menu that I like so haven't installed it in past few insider builds. Win 10 menu is customizable.

Most average (or below-average) users don't know about Unchecky or know to watch out for "optional" installs.  Most just click next, next, next and then call me when their computer is full of malware.