JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have the builds reached RC level yet?

Release to manufacturers ( RTM ) is slated for about 4 or 5 weeks from now, 4 to 5 weeks ahead of general release.

The current build 10130 is more polished than earlier builds, however is not ready for trusting to everyday use.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be available on July 29th. You can reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade now through a simple reservation process. Look for this icon in your system tray at the bottom of your screenicon1.png, simply click on the icon, and then complete the reservation process.

If you don’t see it, check your Windows Update. On my Windows 7, it is not showing up so I assume this will be part of path Tuesday June 2nd.

The initial release will be for PCicon1.png and tablets.

You can reserve your free upgrade in the Get Windows 10 App. Once you reserve, Windows 10 will download when available, and you can cancel your reservation at any time.

Click on the small Windows icon found at the right end of the taskbar. If you don’t see it, visit our Q&A page for more infoicon1.png.

To remove the icon you can either hide it or uninstall the Windows Update KB3035583.

I got the notification to reserve a copy of Windows 10 this morning after I did an update for Windows defender definitions, they must have bundled KB3035583 with the definition update,

From what I've had time to read about Windows 10 it seems like they have brought the taskbar and start menu back, which for me is good news. I am REALLY happy with Windows 7 and won't change unless I can get Windows 10 to display like 7.

I have worked on client's Windows 8 systems and they were a mess! Even the people who used it regularly, didn't know how to use it correctly. 

So Peter, can you make Windows 10 perform like Windows 7?

Windows 10 is a blend of win 7 & 8 giving the best of both with improvements ( not all will work even by July 29 release ) which will continue to improve by regular updates. It will look and act similar accross PC, tablets & phones.  For the PC if you want to emulate start menu of win 7 you can use IObit's startmenu 8 http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/start_menu_8.html

post-5252-0-13807200-1433188657_thumb.jppost-5252-0-84158000-1433188665_thumb.jppost-5252-0-63819200-1433188673_thumb.jp

Notice left side popup from start menu is different in 2 shots

Edited by pnutts

Based on what i know about win 10.... and it's very little, i think i am starting to like it. ( This is one of the few articles that i've read about it

From what the article said, win10 will work smooth on low end hardware ( win7 is really good so far, but win10 is supposed to be lighter than win7 ). Not that i have that old hardware, but i assembled my PC back in 2010. It's getting old and i plan on using it all the way to Armageddon.

Once Win10 is available at the end of July i'll give it a test period. I'll see how it'll behave and if i see improvements i will try to adapt to it, simply because of practical reasons.

One caveat if updating to windows 10. If you want to turn back to earlier windows - Watch if win 10 wants to change hard drive file system. The New Protected File system is Not readable by older OS thus keep NTFS for your win 10 installation

One caveat if updating to windows 10. If you want to turn back to earlier windows - Watch if win 10 wants to change hard drive file system. The New Protected File system is Not readable by older OS thus keep NTFS for your win 10 installation

You lost me at 'if you want to turn back to earlier windows'. Could you explain in few more words?

Thank you very much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Some newer computers want to change your file system of your hard drive when installing win 10. Older versions of windows can not access it thus I recommend keeping NTFS which started with windows XP.

If you decide you don't like win 10 then you can revert back to win 8.x or win 7 - provided file system hasn't been changed.

Based on what i know about win 10.... and it's very little, i think i am starting to like it. ( This is one of the few articles that i've read about it

From what the article said, win10 will work smooth on low end hardware ( win7 is really good so far, but win10 is supposed to be lighter than win7 ).

The computer I am testing win 10 on ( this one ) is an old Dell Dimension C521. All I did was up the bios to a later one, which allowed me to up RAM to 6 Gb ( could go to 8 if I trade out the 2 x 1Gb sticks ). This allows me to use 64 bit OS which also allows me to use my Cyberlink PowerDirector which likes 6 Gb or more.  My main computer has 16 Gb Ram

The operating systemicon1.png will be available in 190 territories globally with existing Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users having one year (i.e. till 29 July 2016) to upgrade to the new operating system.

Users will be able to reserve a free upgrade in the coming weeks.

Those users who cannot upgrade will have to purchase the license with the following pricing structure:

Windows 10 Home - $119

Windows 10 Pro - $199

To upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro will costicon1.png $99.

Source: TechRadar

At the moment, Windows 7 is selling for ~$80 for home, ~$120 for pro, both of which are eligible for free upgrades to the equivalent edition of Windows 10.

Most people who don't qualify for the free upgrade likely don't meet the minimum specs anyway, but for the edge cases (new PC build, too many upgrades on an OEM, etc) you can still get a good discount.

At the moment, Windows 7 is selling for ~$80 for home, ~$120 for pro, both of which are eligible for free upgrades to the equivalent edition of Windows 10.

Most people who don't qualify for the free upgrade likely don't meet the minimum specs anyway, but for the edge cases (new PC build, too many upgrades on an OEM, etc) you can still get a good discount.

If you buy a refurbished computer, they usually come with legal licence for win 8.x or win 7, thus free upgrade to win 10.

Get a licence display program for your computer because many times the licence installed is a volume licence which is different from the sticker on computer. Thus you may have 2 valid licence codes

Edited by pnutts

I still run trusty windows 7 64bit, not considering an upgrade at all at this stage

What is better in windows 10 ? In comparison to windows 7 ?

win 10 will be similar between PC, phone & tablet thus keeping things in sync better. Plus you only need to know 1 OS.

Supposed to use less resources than win 7 & 8.x

Running apps is supposed to be a lot less resource hog than hundreds of Mb ot several Gb programs.

You can still use programs too.

Edited by pnutts

My PC still runs XP ........ not so sure about upgrading this one to 10

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~