JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My PC still runs XP ........ not so sure about upgrading this one to 10

I am running win 10 64 bit on a Dell Dimension C521 which when I got it in March only had 2 Gb ram and XP on it. Updated the BIOS, bought 4 Gb ram and wiped the drive. Partitioned the 320 Gb drive into 2 and clean installed win 10. Until RTM win 10 I probably will continue with clean installs.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have a box we had to "restore to factory settings" that has 7 or 8 on it, I might try putting 10 on that one.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Next build should come anytime now. Here is comments about leaked build 10136+

As Windows 10 hurtles toward its July 29 release date, a sneak peek at the next official builds shows this state-of-the-art operating system running—yes—Office 95. That's how backward-compatible the OS will be, bragged Microsoft's Gabe Aul on Twitter. Most likely your copy of Office 95 went to the thrift store with your acid-washed jeans. But just in case you still have the software hanging around, you can fire it up for old time's sake.

Overall, the latest releases—both leaked and official—show a focus on minor tweaks and polish. The operating system appears to be less buggy, and the biggest feature additions are merely shortcuts and customizations.

ADVERTISING

The latest official Windows 10 preview version is build 10130, though right now this is available only to users on the “Fast ring” of updates. It adds a keyboard shortcut to the virtual assistant Cortana (with Windows+C), a batch of modernized icons, and more configuration options for the Start menu. Check out PCWorld’s deeper dive into build 10130 for the full rundown.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2932325/sneak-peek-of-windows-10-build-10136-shows-office-95-running-just-fine-thank-you.html

The news media is reporting that Microsoft plans to release it's updated system Windows 10,

sometime in 2015. Here is a news and video links to this upcoming system. ( www.usatoday.com/

story/tech/2014/09/14/microsoft-windows/16474073. What do some of you tech savey friends know

about this new system ? Pros and cons ? From the brief video it appears there will be a return to some

of the beloved aspects of Windows 7 ( the Start Up menu ) while retaining the windows format of Win-

dows 8. What other changes have you noted ?

GStorrs46

I've been using Windows 10 for awhile now. I have to say that I am glad that they are getting away from Internet Explorer and moving onto Edge. Other than almost keeping the logo it's a whole new beast and so far pretty nice. I am getting faster boot times and much more control although the settings app is a little eh... imprecise. The JW App displays and works great. I see a huge improvement over Windows 8 and say Microsoft may hit a home run with this one. 

I've been using Windows 10 for awhile now. I have to say that I am glad that they are getting away from Internet Explorer and moving onto Edge. Other than almost keeping the logo it's a whole new beast and so far pretty nice. I am getting faster boot times and much more control although the settings app is a little eh... imprecise. The JW App displays and works great. I see a huge improvement over Windows 8 and say Microsoft may hit a home run with this one. 

I have reserved my upgrade when it is released on July 29th. Do you think I should upgrade as soon as it is available?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Glad this topic is out, as I had the same questions.  It looks actually quite good, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade.  But I want to see what the first wave offers - any bugs etc.  When that is ironed out, I'll be signing up.

One thing to keep in mind, I read it was a free upgrade for a year only.  You can upgrade for free from either Win 7 (there are some exceptions) or Win 8/8.1.

Bro Steven, is there a return to Windows DVD maker program, that was taken out of Win 8?  I hate that I can't just make dvd's from my movies anymore apart from buying the software.  It would be nice if Win 10 included this program in its suite again.  Just hoping...

Media player is gone. however there are 3rd party apps and programs that work quite well. For DVD playback I prefer VLC program, burn programs - I didn't use the previous built in one and currently there are no built in ones that will convert & burn an ISO file.

Next build should be out anytime since RTM version should be out by end of month.

Bugs - yes there will still be some by general release July 29th/15. Some features may not be fully implemented by then either.

win 10 Mobile build 10136 should be released any time to slow ring - maybe by Friday.

Hopefully a PC build will be released to fast ring by then too.

Edited by pnutts

I have reserved my upgrade when it is released on July 29th. Do you think I should upgrade as soon as it is available?

I think it is worth updating. Even on this ancient machine I have it running on ( previously running XP) it performs quite nicely. I can only imagine how nice it would be on a newer machine. If you don't mind the early adopter bugs and glitches I say go ahead and update.

I have the thing for the free upgrade on the task bar but I am really reluctant to bother with the upgrade. I like my machine the way its running right now and its seams solid with win 7 64 bit. I hate these upgrades that screw up and leave you hanging. Has happened too many times over the years. I dread wiping a machine then trying to rebuild all the programs back onto it. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

so Q. i got my PC in 2004 when it was a XP 

then u upgrade it to windows 7 

do you think it will let me upgrade it  to the 10 or

should just go out and get another computer  

and will  Office 2010 work on the windows 10 

If you have legal win 7 then update to win 10 is no problem. Haven't tried office 2010 on win 10, however they -M$- have run office 1995 on win 10.

Depends upon what you have for resources on your current computer and What You Use It For.  If you get another -go with the refurbished one - cheaper with legal license ( maybe 2 - one running computer may be volume license and one on sticker ) then upgrade from 7 or 8.x to 10. You can also burn a win 10 setup disk to do clean install and use your current license to validate ( get win 10 license code ).

Come to think of it. From what I have heard you may have option to do clean install - from current setup, that will be validated without input from you. Not sure yet.

Gotta get ready to leave for convention, see ya all tonight.

Edited by pnutts

Too bad they can't follow this plan with every Windows version. Instead, they work on a good/bad cycle.

The pattern seems odd, but after hearing invariably accurate predictions since Windows XP, I'm starting to think the cycle is intentional so they can use the off-releases as a sort of expanded beta test for features/tech planned for the good releases.

http://www.fixmypcfree.com/blog/microsoft-unofficially-admits-that-windows-8-is-the-new-vista/

IBU6SzW.jpg

~

Too bad they can't follow this plan with every Windows version. Instead, they work on a good/bad cycle.

The pattern seems odd, but after hearing invariably accurate predictions since Windows XP, I'm starting to think the cycle is intentional so they can use the off-releases as a sort of expanded beta test for features/tech planned for the good releases.

http://www.fixmypcfree.com/blog/microsoft-unofficially-admits-that-windows-8-is-the-new-vista

Your graphic is off. I liked 3.1, 95, XP, NT,  Server 08, Vista and 10.  7 and 8 were both a mess.

I liked win 95C, ME tweaked, XP pro, 7Ultimate sp1, 8.1 update 1 and now 10 64 bit. I did have 95A running with 5 meg Ram on 40 Mb HDD on a glorified 286 called a 386xx

Edited by pnutts

saw this on CNN

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/12/technology/windows-10-pcs/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool&iid=obnetwork

i got my windows  7 for a computer store 

this is what i have 

It will run win 10 32 bit no problem. If you want to run 64 bit then see if you can update your computer BIOS firmware and update ram if possible. Be aware that older ram is more money and is just that  - older ram.

Your graphic is off. I liked 3.1, 95, XP, NT,  Server 08, Vista and 10.  7 and 8 were both a mess.

I'm not sure it's really fair to add server editions to the list. But as far as home editions, the bad versions were far less reliable, required more maintenance, etc.

Out of about twenty people I regularly help out with computer repairs, I had to help out every one at least once a month when they were on ME. As they upgraded to XP, the support calls stopped entirely (I had three calls for XP systems total, all three were hardware problems). As people moved on to Vista, even on brand new computers, the support calls started back up again. Of those that now run 7, I've not had even one support call.

The main problem isn't the interface (I'll make an exception for 8), it's the internal maintenance. For someone who knows how to clean out junk files, keep the drive defragmented, and repair corrupted system files, even ME was a decent OS. But for those who skipped the manual maintenance, the bad versions were a disaster, while the good versions had automatic maintenance and minor repair checks built in.

I'm not sure it's really fair to add server editions to the list. But as far as home editions, the bad versions were far less reliable, required more maintenance, etc.

Out of about twenty people I regularly help out with computer repairs, I had to help out every one at least once a month when they were on ME. As they upgraded to XP, the support calls stopped entirely (I had three calls for XP systems total, all three were hardware problems). As people moved on to Vista, even on brand new computers, the support calls started back up again. Of those that now run 7, I've not had even one support call.

The main problem isn't the interface (I'll make an exception for 8), it's the internal maintenance. For someone who knows how to clean out junk files, keep the drive defragmented, and repair corrupted system files, even ME was a decent OS. But for those who skipped the manual maintenance, the bad versions were a disaster, while the good versions had automatic maintenance and minor repair checks built in.

I see your point. And coming from a household that is very computer literate I guess my views are skewed. The wife still runs Vista on her computer and has never had a single issue with it and runs NT at work. But being well versed in computer maintenance we all take care of our systems. I see what you are saying though, and you could liken it to people who take their vehicles in to have the oil changed versus those of us who can do it ourselves. I have just never looked at it from that point of view.

windows 10 Mobile build 10136 to be released Tuesday, June 16th. You have to roll back to win 8.x on phone ( tablet ? ) then update to 10136 ( known bug ).

Later builds will be able to update directly

Recommendation is roll back to 8.x in morning, wait till late in day to upgrade to 10136.

Lots of new features and stability. Still buggy but usable for many consumers in day to day activities according to sources within M$.

For PCs 10130, with the few updates released in past 2 weeks, is stable enough for slow ring users.

Shall see if they update build to include them.

Edited by pnutts

What is your take on this? Does it make win 10 final free for machines that were xp and now  running insider win 10?

Important changes that are coming with the next PC build as we get ready for July 29th.

Getting the final release on July 29th
Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.