JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you find work to be difficult?

I've been homeschooled my whole life, no worldly friends, very sheltered. I just started a new job and each time I get a new job I experience this anxiety. I don't want to be part of the world, in an ideal world I would only work with the brothers and sisters. But here I am at a job dealing with my new coworkers. They want to be friends, they want to know me, holidays are coming so they keep asking everybody about what they are going to do this holiday, what is your holiday tradition, putting up their holiday signs. I just can't wait for the new system when we will all worship the same God and wont be dealing with these evil holidays.

Sorry, kind of a rant. But, I would like to know how you are able to deal with work and how you maintain your spirituality under peer pressure. :)

I find meditating on "fear of Jehovah" and getting the balance helps.  
I think its 1 john that talks about love throws fear outside and if you fear your not perfect in love... so how do you have "fear of Jehovah"  but don't fear him.
Jesus is said to "find enjoyment in the fear of Jehovah"  and that always gets me thinking.
Eccl. 7: 16-20  also has this balancing act well understood.  The person who fears God balances the 2 extremes.

So the question is how do you act neighborly with fellow workmates, but keep your distance from "the world".
Christians are not hateful; judgemental; partial; snooty; haughty; superior; better; more holy; more righteous; 
Christians can be loving and neighborly to those who currently are not believers and even are enemies without being "associating with the world".

The balance is: the spirit of the world is what to avoid; but the people can still be loved with agape.

With my family i try to quietly help them;  but they are worldly.  So its a balancing act not to get involved with anything that would hurt my conscience;  just have to calmly and mildly stand firm with your values but respectfully let others have their free will.  Jehovah is the judge;  we don't recommend ourselfs to God by the judgements that we make.

Our conduct quietly exerts an influence even if we aren't "preaching" at work.  We can conduct ourselfs in "good works" at work doing all things for Gods glory.  They should respect friendly demeaner at work while you work even if you choose not to do things after hours.  Just try not to come off as being like this scripture describes.  Is. 65:  They say, ‘Keep to yourself; do not approach me, For I am holier than you.’*

Dear Sister Kelsey, Wow! - you have a childhood that most of us would envy, and by us, I mean 'me.' That anxiety will keep you on your toes and keep your Witness filter tuned up. Remember that secular work is just to pay the bills. Let your co-workers know as soon as possible that you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and answer each secular issue as it comes up. Sometimes, when being invited to a 'howliday' celebration, one can simply say, "Thank you, but it's not something I do,"  as you may not have time to wait for a work break to respond. Performing our job function is what we do. Being Jehovah's Witnesses is Who we are. :star:  

My husband went to PS his whole life, and he hates working around worldly people too... lol when he can's he works by himself... he likes it better, being a man, most of his jobs have been blue collar, and mainly only with other men-he doesn't like that they smoke, only talk about drunken fornication, etc etc... he hates it. I was PS most my life, I hate having to be around worldly people when it doesn't pertain to being a witness (not in the field service, etc lol)... so much drama with them, that is so much from not following Jehovah's standards in their life. It's exhausting! I don't care for it. And sometimes it turns my stomach hearing them gloat about disgusting ungodlly things they enjoy! So I am doubting you are alone, and it has nothing to do with homeschooling, but rather your love of Jehovah's law as it were. 

Just let your co-workers know you are a JW, maybe have a few copies of magazines that explain our beliefs in such, and offer them to them if they would like to know further why you do not choose to celebrate the holidays. But, for the most part, I find more people today are more accepting that we do not all believe the same as them.

My husband went to PS his whole life, and he hates working around worldly people too... lol when he can's he works by himself... he likes it better, being a man, most of his jobs have been blue collar, and mainly only with other men-he doesn't like that they smoke, only talk about drunken fornication, etc etc... he hates it. I was PS most my life, I hate having to be around worldly people when it doesn't pertain to being a witness (not in the field service, etc lol)... so much drama with them, that is so much from not following Jehovah's standards in their life. It's exhausting! I don't care for it. And sometimes it turns my stomach hearing them gloat about disgusting ungodlly things they enjoy! So I am doubting you are alone, and it has nothing to do with homeschooling, but rather your love of Jehovah's law as it were. 

Just let your co-workers know you are a JW, maybe have a few copies of magazines that explain our beliefs in such, and offer them to them if they would like to know further why you do not choose to celebrate the holidays. But, for the most part, I find more people today are more accepting that we do not all believe the same as them.

Sister Heather, I can completely agree with them being "exhausting" to us. Perfect wording. Having to listen to them talk about ungodly practices they follow. Everyday when I drive to work I think to myself, "one day I won't have to pay rent or bills, leave my husband for hours on end, but we will be enjoying our work in the new system together".

Won't that time be nice? Not too far away from now I'd say. :)

Dear Sister Kelsey, Wow! - you have a childhood that most of us would envy, and by us, I mean 'me.' That anxiety will keep you on your toes and keep your Witness filter tuned up. Remember that secular work is just to pay the bills. Let your co-workers know as soon as possible that you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and answer each secular issue as it comes up. Sometimes, when being invited to a 'howliday' celebration, one can simply say, "Thank you, but it's not something I do,"  as you may not have time to wait for a work break to respond. Performing our job function is what we do. Being Jehovah's Witnesses is Who we are. :star:

Yes, sister Pauline, thank you for reminding me. I must tell myself daily it is just to pay rent and feed my family, not to make friends.

BTW, we homeschool too, yet we still have to deal with the world, my children and my grown husband, both hate going to stores this time of year, all the holiday and halloween stuff out... ick!

For the most part, I like to put myself in a bubble of Jehovah's people. 

Yes, sister Pauline, thank you for reminding me. I must tell myself daily it is just to pay rent and feed my family, not to make friends.

Making friends and being friendly are two different things, if we are aloof from them we can't be that shining light we need to be, and there could be prospective brothers and sisters right beneath your nose. Remember all those not at homes we get? We get them because many people go to work ... right under our noses. See work as your special territory and if you can't speak about the truth, let your light shine by your conduct.

All about balance.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

There's no need to hate being around worldly people. Many who are our brothers now were once worldly but impressed by our kind friendliness. I understand where you're coming from but it might be good to beware we don't adopt a prejudiced attitude.. that's not how/who we are. Jesus put himself out there for everyone.

Personally, I love to work but wouldn't necessarily be keen to work for Witnesses. Everybody has their own quirks... we have to put up with them all.

Keep in mind Sis that it's not always necessary to give a "scriptural" reason for this and a "scriptual" reason for that to your world-based colleagues. (I retired from my secular job last year and, even though they treated me unkindly the last few years, I had to hang on to pay my bills.)

If anything, they should respect you alone for your convictions. (I told my co-workers early on in my career that I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and, even though they kept egging me on to join the x-max office parties, I remained steadfast until they just gave up on asking me.) We each have to face our own situation whether at work or at school, but it helps greatly to say a prayer to Jehovah before leaving your home to face those in Satan's world.

Remember, we're temporary resident aliens waiting for the "city" having real foundation! :)

Having spent 50 years working around worldly people I know it's not always easy...Just let them know where you stand..For instance when asked to sign a birthday card I would simply say "I don't do birthdays" and then see if they just accepted that or sometimes they would ask why and I could go into more detail. I preferred that to just saying "I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses.....so I don't celebrate this or that". They usually knew I was a witness pretty soon anyway...

Always having a good sense of humor and not appearing "overly righteous" or having I'm better than you attitudes helps.

It can be rough at times working in this world. I usually just say when asked to some type of celebration, donate money, eat birthday cake, etc...." Oh I 'm sorry, I thought you knew I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses." I try to always be brief in my response. Most people are accepting these days, especially when you can quickly respond. I have been able to answer many questions after work and on lunch breaks.

The most important thing is to always, always pray to Jehovah. Especially when you can at work.

With the election here in Canada I was thinking to say I already voted when asked but I thought then they would think I went to the polling station. So I would just say I will when I was asked. I am so tired of having to rub elbows with worldly people I wish this system was over and the resurrection was started. Sometimes I think if I wished hard enough or prayed hard enough then it would be. Its almost painful for me to go to work in this world now.

I pray that I can and not have them effect me.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

With the election here in Canada I was thinking to say I already voted when asked but I thought then they would think I went to the polling station. So I would just say I will when I was asked. I am so tired of having to rub elbows with worldly people I wish this system was over and the resurrection was started. Sometimes I think if I wished hard enough or prayed hard enough then it would be. Its almost painful for me to go to work in this world now.

Oh how I understand. I no longer tell people right away that I am a Jehovah's Witness. I've worked 5-6 jobs and each is the same. confusion, disgust, judgemental, hateful. In a couple weeks my company told us it is mandatory to start wearing red for the holidays. I will not. Then is when they will know. We'll see how this one goes this time. :/

This was the first year I received a lot of pressure to vote.  I simply said that as one of Jehovah's people I don't vote, if you recall they wanted to make Christ king and he said that his kingdom is not of this world, therefore I take a similar stand.  In essence I've cast my vote for Christ.

Then because it was my boss who asked, he said something about going to live in North Korea, and about all those who had given their life for democracy.  I kind of petered out there, because I wasn't expecting the backlash, instead I responded I don't diminish the sacrifices of lives made for democracy and left it at that.  I will be better prepared next year if I'm still there.  At least my answers were mild.  For once LOL

Oh, I did comment though on not being uninformed.  I said just because I don't vote, doesn't mean I don't know what's going on.  Trudeau got voted in on a smile and a handshake, with his platform being fluff, and Harper wants to militarize Canada.  I know why he thinks this is a good idea, even if I don't agree with it.  It was interesting because then he could see it wasn't because I wasn't aware of what was going on, but rather fully aware and choosing to do something completely different. 

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

When I first got out of High School I washed windows. That was fine for a while, but in a college town, jobs like that either do not last or they pay very little. I was still in my teens when I had to get my first secular job working for a worldly employer.

I worked in a pizza place and the work atmosphere was very relaxed. Most of the other workers were college students, so their morals were quite low.

I had only been there a few weeks when they started taking up a "collection" to buy a Christmas gift for the boss. They asked me and I said I did not do holidays and that was about it. Even though some of them pointed out that he was the boss and he gave "Christmas bonuses".

After the holiday the boss talked to me about not signing the card - said he noticed I didn't. I told reminded him that I did not celebrate the holidays. He did mention that he had given me a "Christmas bonus" check. I told him I still had it and did he want it back. He told me to keep it and that, from now on, he would make mine an "end of the year" bonus - as long as I kept working for him.

I went on to work for him, off and on, for 15 years. When it came to the end of the year he would put the Christmas bonus checks in seperate envelopes and leave them with the pay checks. There would not be one there for me. The following week my pay envelope would have two checks - one would be noted as end of year bonus.

The rest of the employees just figured I did not get a bonus since I didn't celebrate the holiday.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~