JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

(Singer) Prince dies at 57

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2875 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

It's interesting that now that Prince is gone, there is so much talk about what he believed. There is usually not much a focus on that when a famous person dies. I guess because people saw such changes they can't help but look at what motivated him to change. But it's kind of strange that JWs are so much in the media right now.

I like the fact that although Prince was wealthy and could have all this world  had to offer, his real love was for Jehovah and the truth.  It's a good example for all of us not to be deceived by anything this world has to offer. I like his humility and lowliness of mind, and of course his music

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

And this is why we keep asking all here to STOP DISCUSSING PRINCE'S SPIRITUAL STATE! 

Stop.  Don't make us lock this discussion.  Stop speculating,  stop judging,  stop trying to decide if Prince was in good standing or not. 

I thought discussion was part of this forum ??? If we cannot openly express our thoughts on particular subject than what is the point of this forum ??  Seriously I have learned so much about Prince from this discussion.  (Could you please cite specific examples who was judging Prince ? Because sharing information that is up to the discussion is very different to judging ...  Well, very very different. 

Edited by Gregexplore

More info

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Here's a couple positive personal experiences. I saw Prince perform at avery fisher hall, Lincoln Center in NYC circa 2002. During sound check he asked crowd for any requests.. As crowd was screaming out his old stuff, I belted out "God's Love Love"... My wife and I believe he heard me because he smiled... Next experience, when concert was thumping at Avery Fisher Hall, he asked audience,"How do you like my new personality?" During that concert he encouraged audience to read the scriptures to find the answers...

The acoustics were amazing! Best concert I every attended!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

oops that was supposed to be "God's Loyal Love" not "God's Love Love"

Lol. We knew what you meant Tracey. 

And yes Greg, this is an open discussion forum but anytime it's turns to talking negatively about the friends it's time to put breaks on it, screeching brakes at that, or at least let it be known that such will be attached if not stopped.

At times, and I'm not going to name names nor guote certain comments, there were negative comments concerning Bro. Prince's spiritual state which included his actually being baptized or not, etc.

So I agree with Shawnster that it needs to STOP. 

Edited by Luezette

For the friends that are new or weren't into Soul and R&B in the 70s here is the life story of Graham, Larry: g89 2/22 12-16; g89 9/8 30

They were instrumental in assisting Prince with the truth.

Oh and I forgot maybe not into Funk/Phunk in the 70s...because Sly and the Family Stone was f/phunky!

I liked some of Prince's music, always thought he was a beautiful man. I was extremely over joyed when I saw on a TV show that he was a JW.  I became profoundly saddened by the news of his death.  I am  hurting by the negative comments I am reading about a Bro. whom family and close friends may read the post because it is on a public view post.  

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

26 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Lol. We knew what you meant Tracey. 

And yes Greg, this is an open discussion forum but anytime it's turns to talking negatively about the friends it's time to put breaks on it, screeching brakes at that, or at least let it be known that such will be attached if not stopped.

At times, and I'm not going to name names nor guote certain comments, there were negative comments concerning Bro. Prince's spiritual state which included his actually being baptized or not, etc.

So I agree with Shawnster that it needs to STOP. 

Yes dear sister, but I don't understand what is wrong with discussing Prince's baptism ?

Especially some of us do not live in US but Down Under . Europe and we want to know for sure from reliable source therefore "information" is discussed.

Have you noticed that I have included the statement "I have learned so much about Prince from this discussion" ?

Perhaps some are taking this discussion too personally and this causes the problem with the topic., not the shared information.  Is this possible ?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Yes dear sister, but I don't understand what is wrong with discussing Prince's baptism ?

If we know through reliable sources that he is baptized, it's acceptable to say that he is baptized.

If our opinion of a matter is "I would never do that", then we should never try to claim that someone must not be a true servant of Jehovah simply because we make different choices.

Yes, I understand. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with sharing each other's baptism information for we all do at times even something like "what congregation do you go/belong to"? when we meet each other, that's so different, wouldn't you say, when the discussion turns to doubts of a particular person's baptism and then repeating those doubts or sharing those doubts with others, including the supposedly true source of such information. 

11 minutes ago, Stavro said:

If we know through reliable sources that he is baptized, it's acceptable to say that he is baptized.

If our opinion of a matter is "I would never do that", then we should never try to claim that someone must not be a true servant of Jehovah simply because we make different choices.

Who claimed that ?????

12 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Who claimed that ?????

I'm guessing you missed all the previous threads on Prince and the long list of differences of opinions some have that make them doubt his standing in the congregation?

"Rally 4 Peace" and "Third Eye Blind" are two sufficiently controversial discussions where some claimed that he should not be considered in good standing in the congregation.

1 minute ago, Stavro said:

I'm guessing you missed all the previous threads on Prince and the long list of differences of opinions some have that make them doubt his standing in the congregation?

"Rally 4 Peace" and "Third Eye Blind" are two sufficiently controversial discussions where some claimed that he should not be considered in good standing in the congregation.

I get it ! thanks

21 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Yes, I understand. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with sharing each other's baptism information for we all do at times even something like "what congregation do you go/belong to"? when we meet each other, that's so different, wouldn't you say, when the discussion turns to doubts of a particular person's baptism and then repeating those doubts or sharing those doubts with others, including the supposedly true source of such information. 

I agree that we should not spread "doubts" false information if we are not sure but this discussion contributed a lot in clarifying some doubts

Like I said before many of us live in different parts of the world and we simply DON'T KNOW :) (but we want to know)

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

I thought discussion was part of this forum ??? If we cannot openly express our thoughts on particular subject than what is the point of this forum ??  Seriously I have learned so much about Prince from this discussion.  (Could you please cite specific examples who was judging Prince ? Because sharing information that is up to the discussion is very different to judging ...  Well, very very different. 

Answer to you in PM

Questions were raised as to his standing in the Congregation.  This was more than simply asking if he was baptized or not.

It's like this.  You hear about the death of someone in you congregation or someone else's congregation.  You know a lot of people are mourning his loss.  You can do one of two things - you can either "weep with those who weep" or you can gossip about whether the deceased was in good standing with the congregation or not.  As if that matters during a time a mourning.  As if that has a bearing on whether Jehovah will resurrect the individual.   Which of those two choices is the loving thing to do?

From our policy:

. This is a site for real Jehovah's Witnesses to engage in peaceful discussion, and not a place for argumentative debates. Therefore, your goal in contributing to a topic should be to share something of interest that will build up your brothers and sisters.

We seek to maintain an upbuilding, entertaining, safe, open, and intellectually stimulating environment, where mature Christians can exercise their God-given "freeness of speech." (2 Corinthians 3:12)

Does discussing the status of someone's standing in the congregation, especially during a time of mourning, fall under upbuilding conversation?

Edited by Shawnster

13 hours ago, Shawnster said:
13 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Prayer in behalf of the Congregation would only be given by an  elder or servant.

Not sure what this has to do with anything.

At present, I am not serving as a MS or Elder and I offer prayer at the meeting on a regular scheduled basis. We have another Brother in our Hall that, though he has been a Baptized Witness for about 30 years NEVER offers prayer for the Congregation. He is in good standing and can do door-to-door work extremely well ... but, to get up in front of the Congregation, he would pass out before he got past the first two words.

So, praying or giving talks has NOTHING to do with someone's standing!!!

Brother Nelson (I wish ones would quit calling him Brother Prince) is gone ..... what should be the main concern - the consoling of those who are hurting .......

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wouldn't say these privileges have nothing to do with ones standing. We know someone can be restricted from both these things and also one would not qualify if they failed to have an exemplary standing or liked respect if others. While they may not need to be an elder or servant they must be exemplary to pray before the congregation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Qapla said:

At present, I am not serving as a MS or Elder and I offer prayer at the meeting on a regular scheduled basis. We have another Brother in our Hall that, though he has been a Baptized Witness for about 30 years NEVER offers prayer for the Congregation. He is in good standing and can do door-to-door work extremely well ... but, to get up in front of the Congregation, he would pass out before he got past the first two words.

Yes, I misspoke.  This was pointed out to me and I apologize.  I was thinking faster than I was typing and sped right past that point.  

Barring rare or unusual circumstances only an elder or servant will give a public talk or midweek meeting talk  in the congregation.  As of January, the Bible Reading is not a talk, it's a reading (this change was long before January).  The 3 demo parts on the CLAM are demonstrations, not talks.  

Prayer is given by many brothers, not just elders or servants.

My point was giving prayers in behalf of the congregation or giving talks is not the sole sign of good standing, as if a person who does not have such assignments is not in good standing.  Except for very rare circumstances, no sisters will give talks or say public prayer, yet they may be in very good standing.

I humbly repent in dust and ashes.

Can we now get back on topic?  We no longer need to discuss good standing in this topic.

Edited by Shawnster

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2875 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.