JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Atheism Surge

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2863 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There is a huge rise in people becoming atheist not even bothering to tick a 'religion ' box on a form. ...

Most people I'm witnessing to have immense apathy here in Ireland 

http://news.sky.com/story/1701109/atheist-numbers-surge-in-england-and-wales

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Apathy would kill religion faster than anything.

Whether they realize it or not, they are still on a-pathy to destruction...

(sorry, bad joke...:))

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, carlos said:

Where I live most people are not really atheist, I mean, they don't argue that God doesn't exist. They simply don't care.

Many say there must be "something" up theren. But they don't care at all who that "something" is.

I find more and more people, especially younger adults, subscribe to the philosophy that our lives are ruled by fate. So often I hear them say, "Everything happens for a reason," or that, "It was or wasn't meant to be." They believe that something or someone is pulling the strings and that we are all just helpless puppets or victims on the journey of life, rather than we are masters of our own destiny with free will and the ability to make our own choices, right or wrong, with subsequent consequences. There are things, of course, we have no control over, and as Eccl. 9:11 says, "... time and unexpected events overtake them all."

The attitude you describe may also stem from the idea that God isn't interested in what goes on here on earth and that he's left humans to fend for themselves, so why should they be interested in Him? This belief is known as deism, and has as one of its definitions, "Belief that God created the world and set it in motion, subject to natural laws, but takes no interest in it." This has led many to adopt a live-for-today hedonistic lifestyle that leaves them frustrated and searching for that ever-elusive true happiness and peace of mind. If only they would listen! "Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!" Ps. 144:15, "Happy are those conscience of their spiritual need." Matt. 5:3

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

6 hours ago, minister159 said:

I find more and more people, especially younger adults, subscribe to the philosophy that our lives are ruled by fate. So often I hear them say, "Everything happens for a reason," or that, "It was or wasn't meant to be." They believe that something or someone is pulling the strings and that we are all just helpless puppets or victims on the journey of life, rather than we are masters of our own destiny with free will and the ability to make our own choices, right or wrong, with subsequent consequences.

That is what I have seen in my area too, a sort of counter-spirituality, for those still wanting to believe in something, aka "The Universe". It sits close to atheism, but they sort of want a bet each way.

But we have more of the apathetic, don't care, materialistic, waiting for Lotto to fix all their problems people here.  It is even too much effort to believe in "the universe"!

I guess this attitude is nothing new. A past example is Roman emperor Constantine. He was a sun worshipper, but was baptized as a 'Christian'  on his deathbed, I suppose to cover all the bases. My niece has been a Methodist for all of her life. She has a lot of problems in her life, mostly because of bad choices of her own. She prays and wonders why God doesn't fix things. She lives an immoral life and believes that God should answer her prayers anyway. Welcome to the world of ungodly persons!

I'm surprised about this. I told an elder around 30 years ago that is going to happen. When the end comes a good amount of people will be atheists. I was talking to extent that people will not comprehend in the 1980's and it is happening now.

who knows weather it is how the fight against Christendom will start, thereby leading to the Great Tribulation?

Will Jah put it into the heart of one atheist ruler?

is that another prediction?

Sent from my TECNO H5 using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2016 at 8:33 AM, carlos said:

Where I live most people are not really atheist, I mean, they don't argue that God doesn't exist. They simply don't care.

Many say there must be "something" up theren. But they don't care at all who that "something" is.

I think so too. If truth be told, I think people say they don't believe in God because... Well, maybe I should explain an experience I had a few years ago that demonstrates the point.

I met a woman of Chinese ancestry in our territory. I had already spoken to her husband before, and he showed an interest in spiritual things and in the Bible. We had an interesting conversation. In the days and weeks to follow, I went back several times to try to cultivate his interest, but always found his wife. She just told me her husband was busy, or wasn't home, or whatever. So I figured that if I can't talk to him, why not talk to her? I launched into a presentation about a magazine topic, and she just said, "I don't believe in God." At that, taking her response as a "conversation stopper," I used one of the suggestions in the Reasoning book and asked, "Is there some body of evidence you have come across that convinces you that God doesn't exist?" She just said "No" in response, and said she wasn't interested. Of course, that's another "conversation stopper" we here often, and I tried to treat it like that without really getting the point of what she was saying. She just explained her position a little more clearly, saying, "I don't want there to be a God." !!! I was taken aback by that. I had never seen such honesty before. She was simply saying that she didn't want God to exist!

That was her answer, her reason for not believing in God. It wasn't because of any proof against God's existence, or any lack of evidence in favour of his existence. It was because she just didn't want  Him to be there, like she would rather He just disappear. I think if all "atheists" were to tell the truth, that would be their answer too. It's a question of accountability.

Seems that people who prize logic and reason are not unanimously agnostic or atheist.

The logic behind accepting the existence of a Creator is that you can't get something from nothing, and for every effect, there is a cause. This comes from my mom and dad, and from other people who have experienced life on this earth for any period of time. It also comes from those who through the millennia have developed the scientific method.

Further reasoning takes note of the extremely complicated and interconnected design of things. That comes from biochemists and ecologists.
The issue in this question, is simply, either everything came from something or everything came from someone. That is not reason- or logic-driven, it is a choice.

In short, you cannot get something from nothing. Every house is constructed by someone. The complex interconnectedness of the universe, especially life on earth. The odds of pure chance creating this complex interconnectedness are logically impossible no matter how much time is given it. We all acknowledge the existence of invisible forces - wind, electricity, gravity. The laws that the universe obeys are also something, which cannot come from nothing.

The thing that perturbs people 
the most who say that they need proof or convincing is one word: ACCOUNTABILITY. However, knowing that the real Creator of the universe is just as straightforward and logical as his universe could possibly lead some to accept his existence.