JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I thought I knew it all

We all know that Carrie Fisher died a couple days ago. Someone told me that Fisher is a Jewish name. Lo behold!! My mother maiden name was Fisher. I did a little research on her father side and I found out that his father last name was Fisher and his wife last maiden name was Coffman in which that is Jewish name.  A brother told me last night that he knew of Coffemans and Fishers in our area and they were Jewish. So, there is a good chance that I am Irish, Native American, French Canadian, German, and Jewish too. A true MUTT I Iam.

I know the feeling. My Dad knew he had some German and French in him but he had no idea our last name was English.

Turns out, when I look at both sides, I have English, German, French, Swedish and Norwegian in my family line.

Since my wife has some Scottish and Native American in her, you can add that to what my kids have :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

7 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

We all know that Carrie Fisher died a couple days ago. Someone told me that Fisher is a Jewish name. Lo behold!! My mother maiden name was Fisher. I did a little research on her father side and I found out that his father last name was Fisher and his wife last maiden name was Coffman in which that is Jewish name.  A brother told me last night that he knew of Coffemans and Fishers in our area and they were Jewish. So, there is a good chance that I am Irish, Native American, French Canadian, German, and Jewish too. A true MUTT I Iam.

LOL, my grandpa Davis said he was a little of everything so whatever you throw at me, I already have it.  Momma had Indian and German on her side.    I am a true MUTT too.  

On 12/30/2016 at 6:13 PM, Cherie said:

In the year 2000 I worked at the U.S. Census entering people's info into a computer. So many claimed Native American ancestry on their form along with whatever other ancestry that I said aloud 'I don't feel special anymore!' And the blonde next to me said "me either!"

I'm doing this now, but in 2020, will put down that I Native American too.

Myself, I say I am Heinz 57.  Bit of English, Scottish, German, French ( probably from German part ), Penn.German ( some say Dutch which means German - Deutsch ) with some English in there. Yup Heinz 57.

Not a mutt.:superman:

Forgot to add.

"For those of us Who Do Know It All, it is frustrating for us for those who only think they know it all.":ph34r:

Edited by pnutts

added a line

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Ha this subject always intrigues me ..... I have a mix too father  Croatian , mother German ( grandparents came from Croatia and Prussia) I would like to do the Ancestory  DNA saliva test just because this kind of history fascinates me to think about all the generations that preceded me . We will learn so much about our history in the New system and I think we will all be surprised to see where we came from.  ( all mutts ) lol 

My husband is a Fin we went back to Finland when we discovered over 70 relatives ALL in the truth ( quit a story) it was such an eye opener,  my husbands mannerisms, voice inflections and personality  wow ! For the first time I truly understood the making of his personality . 

10 hours ago, Miss Mouse said:

I would like to do the Ancestory  DNA saliva test

My sister did that, we always thought we were mostly German, it turns out we are 30% Scandinavian, then Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, etc, etc, etc...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My sister did that, we always thought we were mostly German, it turns out we are 30% Scandinavian, then Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, etc, etc, etc...

I always say we are part native american......I mean, we are related to Gen George Custer and I figured that,  you know, they shot sooomannyyy arrows into him that, well, we just gotta have some.......right?:lol1:

52 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I always say we are part native american......I mean, we are related to Gen George Custer and I figured that,  you know, they shot sooomannyyy arrows into him that, well, we just gotta have some.......right?:lol1:

Tim, I kind of thought you were as straight as an arrow. Do you wear Arrow shirts? :whistling:

Speaking of dna test....I had one too, and found out I was quite a bit Irish.....along with English and French but that's a no brainer being from the Boston area. 

One thing I've always known is that my father was half French and half drunk. :drink:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

Tim, I kind of thought you were as straight as an arrow. Do you wear Arrow shirts? :whistling:

Speaking of dna test....I had one too, and found out I was quite a bit Irish.....along with English and French but that's a no brainer being from the Boston area. 

One thing I've always known is that my father was half French and half drunk. :drink:

I ordered DNA tests for myself and my wife.  Mailed them in on12/13/16.  My wife's was received 12/15/16 and mine was received 12/22/16.  I am awaiting results.  Should take 6-8 weeks they say.

One of my cousins had my grandmother declared 100% Native American by some Cherokee councils.  One was a national group and one was an Alabama group.  I have traced my ancestry back far enough to know that there is NO WAY that my grandmother was 100% Native American.

Edited by Witness1970

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Apparently the Native American acupuncture didn't change his DNA and he didn't have a chance to pass on his DNA after the last treatment. ...:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Visited South Dakota back September 2015. They named a park after Custer, in an area of natives that the US army slaughtered villages of women and children :pistols:(td).

My wife figures she is 1/4 Lakota.

Edited by pnutts

added a line

3 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Visited South Dakota back September 2015. They named a park after Custer, in an area of natives that the US army slaughter villages of women and children :pistols:(td)

Yup, can't pick your distant relatives....

On 1/5/2017 at 10:13 AM, Miss Mouse said:

I would like to do the Ancestory  DNA saliva test just because this kind of history fascinates me to think about all the generations that preceded me . We will learn so much about our history in the New system and I think we will all be surprised to see where we came from.  ( all mutts ) lol 

If we trace our ancestry back just 20 generations, each of us has over 2,000,000 grandparents. It's easy to see how we're related and have a common ancestry, if our ancestors originated from the same general area or continent way back when.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

2 minutes ago, minister159 said:

If we trace our ancestry back just 20 generations, each of us has over 2,000,000 grandparents. It's easy to see how we're related and have a common ancestry, if our ancestors originated from the same general area or continent way back when.

Many of us here no doubt share some of those 2,000,000 grandparents. We're all distant cousins! :grouphug:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

43 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Many of us here no doubt share some of those 2,000,000 grandparents. We're all distant cousins! :grouphug:

Hey cousin, can I borrow some money? 

:D

My maternal grandfather was Cherokee. My maternal grandmother was Sioux. My father's father was Caucasian. I have no idea, exactly, about my paternal grandmother, except she looked African American. 

Either way, it made my mother Cherokee and Sioux. And it made my father Caucasian and African-American. Me? Hahaha...

A pure Mutt!!! Lol, lol. Orrr, as someone said years ago..."all mixed up."

Would you like to know how we found out about my mother, even though we saw her hair and facial characteristics? One day we fixing her up in spite of her objections. When we finished and observed our work, we exclaimed "mom, you look like an Indian squall (spelling). 

Boy oh boy, did she object! I mean, seriously! She said "don't call me that!!" It was then she revealed her lineage to us. We didn't know that "squall" means a prostitute to a Native American. :o

Edited by Luezette

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

Just looked at some of Lakotaya (Lakota) on jw.org

Tóhaŋni waŋžíla iyápi iyóhi šni yeló

I haven't check in quite awhile. Used to be only one brochure in Dakota ( slightly different than Lakota ).

I'm German, French Canadian (Quebec) and French (?) There is a Hecker, Illinois, my family. Were entrepreneurs, always wondered why I wanted to do things on my own. And from a line of Barons. Grandma did a fairly decent genealogy and gave it to my aunt before she died. I wanted to expand on it but decided it was too time consuming and will just wait to meet everyone in person (Jehovah willing). 

It was hard to make the decision to not find out more, it's really exciting to me. Love history.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34