JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

9 hours ago, Sheep said:

Problem: I'm having this issue for the last couple of weeks...

Do any other programs on that computer cause the same problem?  Do you have enough available RAM?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 7/4/2020 at 1:14 AM, Old said:

Yes, but only after the most recent updates.

My problems only started sometime after the updates. After the updates, it ran okay.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Mephibosheth said:

Do any other programs on that computer cause the same problem?  Do you have enough available RAM?

No other programs are doing that. Since the computer is only a year old, I would assume there's enough RAM. It says "8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)".

I've been busy with a lot this week... CO's visit. That's a frustrating time to have WTLib wait 15 seconds to start!

Same over here once I start the WT Lib it takes several seconds before it is showing the content. This only started after the most recent update. 19 seconds from clicking to start before it can be used. Don't feel like trying to find out why but you can run a program like perfmon that checks what this program is doing when starting up.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

2 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

. . . you can run a program like perfmon that checks what this program is doing when starting up.

Okay, I tried it. But I don't know how to interpret what it says.

Looks like the WT Lib upon start up checks if there is a new update and that takes about that many settings this is on my Win 7 machine. If you click after opening the WT Lib the menu item Library then Propertied and select the Updates tab and unselect "Download Updates Automatically" the WT Lib will work instantaneously. You just have to check for new updates manually.

However on my Win 10 laptop no such delays in opening even with "Download Updates Automatically"  selected. No more time to be wasted with that for me. Hope it helps you.

No effort = No bananas

Definitely an issue on my Win 7 PC versus the Win 10 Laptop. Even selecting the box "Download Updates Automatically" takes many seconds to return on the Win 7 PC while it is instantaneously on the Win 10 PC. Maybe a Windows issue as Win 7 is no longer supported by MS and maybe the WT Lib is following that path.

No effort = No bananas

18 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

Looks like the WT Lib upon start up checks if there is a new update and that takes about that many settings this is on my Win 7 machine. If you click after opening the WT Lib the menu item Library then Propertied and select the Updates tab and unselect "Download Updates Automatically" the WT Lib will work instantaneously. You just have to check for new updates manually.

However on my Win 10 laptop no such delays in opening even with "Download Updates Automatically"  selected. No more time to be wasted with that for me. Hope it helps you.

10 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

Definitely an issue on my Win 7 PC versus the Win 10 Laptop. Even selecting the box "Download Updates Automatically" takes many seconds to return on the Win 7 PC while it is instantaneously on the Win 10 PC. Maybe a Windows issue as Win 7 is no longer supported by MS and maybe the WT Lib is following that path.

Hhmm. I'm not getting the same results as you. WTLib starts normally on my older Windows 7 laptop (about 2012), even though the "Download Updates Automatically" is selected. In my newer Windows 10 laptop, I get the delay, with the same settings.

However, your suggestion seemed to work in the Windows 10 laptop. I unselected "Download Updates Automatically" and it starts right away. That saves me a lot of time. Thanks much! :ecstatic:

Edited by Sheep

Is anyone having a problem installing the newest update?  After it downloads, it tells me that the installation failed and that I have another instance of Watchtower running (which I don't, even checked with the task manager) and to close it and try again.  No matter how many times I try (on my Windows 10 laptop) I get the same message.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

9 minutes ago, shali said:

Is anyone having a problem installing the newest update?  After it downloads, it tells me that the installation failed and that I have another instance of Watchtower running (which I don't, even checked with the task manager) and to close it and try again.  No matter how many times I try (on my Windows 10 laptop) I get the same message.  

Some of us were successful when we downloaded the update from JW.ORG and followed their instructions for manually updating WTLib. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Watchtower is reading as a "second" instance of it's program running?  I don't have JW Library running when I do this, but the tile is live on my desktop, could that be it?

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

Some of us were successful when we downloaded the update from JW.ORG and followed their instructions for manually updating WTLib. 

I will give that a try.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, shali said:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Watchtower is reading as a "second" instance of it's program running?  I don't have JW Library running when I do this, but the tile is live on my desktop, could that be it?

Sister Brigette, my updates automatically update fine.  I have used the JW.ORG update ISO file on other devices that I have and they work OK as well.

To answer your question about "other" copies running, I know in the past, the install package used to look for instances of older JW Library installations stored on your hard drive.  If a previous version did not get erased completely it still showed to the install file.  I do not know if this has anything to do with youor problem or not.  I used a file scan search to see how many "Watchtower" files were stored on my system and I was surprised to find many instances referred to in various locations.  Perhaps one of these is the culprit.

Or maybe it is something else, clear the cache, make sure you have the latest windows update installed, reboot before reinstalling and so on.  I hope you find a solution.

NOTE:  one of the sisters in my Field Service Group called me about a KM reference and I directed her to the CD/DVD Watchtower Library.  She called back later to say there was nothing new on the system since 2016.  So I described the auto update procedure to her yesterday and she wrote back this morning that everything went well and she is updated today.

23 minutes ago, shali said:

It looks like an internal timing problem.Wt Library waits for a certain time to update.If this time is exceeded, this error message appears.

If the PC is fas enought, the update runs. If the PC is slow, there is a problem.

I dated up several devices, but  slow ones won`t.

Sometimes it works after several restarts in the right moment.

Thanks brothers.  I am going to try to apply the package manually and if that doesn't work, I'll dig deeper.  I have always had the "update automatically" checked in properties but it seemed like it never did, so I always end up doing it manually instead, but this time I got something I wasn't expecting when I went to install it. 

Edited by shali

spelling

28 minutes ago, shali said:

Thanks brothers.  I am going to try to apply the package manually and if that doesn't work, I'll dig deeper.  I have always had the "update automatically" checked in properties but it seemed like it never did, so I always end up doing it manually instead, but this time I got something I wasn't expecting when I went to install it. 

There was another discussion about this problem here..

https://jwtalk.net/topic/45323-update-watchtower-cd/?do=findComment&comment=736875

I downloaded the update from JW.org as the brothers suggested and then applied the package manually and it worked this time.  I'm wondering if this is just a Windows issue with this update.  Don't do the download through the program, get it from JW.org then go to "manually update" and then "apply package".  (be sure to reboot your device before you apply the update that you downloaded)

Edited by shali

8 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Yes, mine's now up to date too. But it seems the French version is way ahead of the English. Instead of Update 2003, they have 2005.

WTLib_F.PNG.417e00fe3a6ffbac647b3551bb3fa995.PNG

Are the French going to get to the New World before the English? :whistling:

Maybe but not ahead of our brothers down under, they get there a day earlier.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.