JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

1 hour ago, Old said:

If you need a dvd drive they are realtively in expensive, they plug into your USB port.  $25 on ebay should do it.

I have 2 DVD drives on both my Windows 10 PC's but they haven't been used for a very long time.

Most program installation files are now downloaded via the internet. Even windows 10 installation boot files can now be installed on a thumb drive.

Even for playing CD music, I find it simpler to RIP the audio CD into .WAV files and stream the music to my Huawei Sound X speaker via wi-fi.

Our WT Library files are now downloadable from JW.ORG. (:P)

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

The WT Library does not require internet access after it is installed. JWLibrary will eventually replace Watchtower Online and it doesn't require internet access after it is installed.

It will be a true replacement when the get the Index Search eventually transferred.

9 hours ago, Skyler said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as a portable version of WL or WOL? One that could be viewed offline via USB on a PC? I have no idea if it's even possible, thank you for the help if you can!

Since the Watchtower Library must run on a Windows device, the only time you need to use the internet is to load it (if you don't have a DVD player).  Once the program is loaded on the device (PC desktop or Tablet) it always work offline, no internet needed.

Please note: an internet connection is used for future updates.

18 hours ago, Skyler said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as a portable version of WL or WOL? One that could be viewed offline via USB on a PC? I have no idea if it's even possible, thank you for the help if you can!

You do not need a CD or DVD drive or internet access to install the WT Library on a PC. The ISO file is available on jw.org, it can be downloaded to a USB drive then you can use it to install the WT Library on any PC.

Does that answer your question?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It should be noted that the current WTL cannot be used as an "independent program" simply "run" from a USB drive - it must be "installed" on the PC to run ... that can be done with a USB drive.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

20 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Small point Br. Richard, but usually the internet is needed at some point to GET the ISO file...just saying...:)

Yes, I thought I had mentioned that. My mistake 🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Skyler said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as a portable version of WL or WOL? One that could be viewed offline via USB on a PC?

On 9/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, Qapla said:

It should be noted that the current WTL cannot be used as an "independent program" simply "run" from a USB drive - it must be "installed" on the PC to run ... that can be done with a USB drive.

*randomly perusing threads*
Actually, you can run a Windows 10 live installation off of a USB drive, in which case you can technically install and run WTL off of the USB or SD Card. But that's rather messy and involves Windows licenses. It is also possible to run a Linux Live ISO off of USB/SD, using Wine to run Windows apps and install WTL there. You may want to try this with an OS such as MX Linux which is specifically oriented towards stability and functioning as a portable personal OS that you can boot up on any computer. https://mxlinux.org/
*sees myself out*

Edited by Myew

It takes a while (understatement) to put together study notes. The research alone take huge amounts of time, and to verify everything would take even longer. Okay, Galatians and Ephesians are shorter books than the previous study books are, but it is still going to take time. Just be patient.

It would be nice, though, if they don't even finish the study notes for the Christian Greek Scriptures before we're in the new world... :)

2 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Just be patient.

Agreed. It's coming soon.

We can keep calm and use the JW Library app in the meantime. 🤣

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

15 hours ago, Sheep said:

It takes a while (understatement) to put together study notes. The research alone take huge amounts of time, and to verify everything would take even longer. Okay, Galatians and Ephesians are shorter books than the previous study books are, but it is still going to take time. Just be patient.

The "disappointment" stems from the fact that study notes have been released in the HTML version of the Study Bible, yet they haven't been included in the latest WTLib update (2005). The truth is that while the .mmdb file of the Study Bible is dated 9/11, the .pub file is dated 7/10. Back in July we didn't have Galatians and Ephesians released yet. I can imagine that once a publication is released in a certain format, releasing them in any other format is being done with a the press of a button.

56 minutes ago, Qapla said:

56 minutes ago, Qapla said:

My JWL has the media - but NO gems

image.png.0e57f4e5cb5baa72ca8c0c665079ef30.png

image.png.7e290d58050dfe63514d9e6e5d41d662.png

Perhaps I should delete the Study Bible and redownload it

Before deleting, check a couple of things.

On the home page click on the "refresh" icon on the upper left menu (see pic 1)

Then go to the BIBLE and check with the two icons shown.  (see pic 2)

Then see if the Study Edition needs updating. Click on language icon (see pic 3) if it does, update it.

Then go to the BIBLE and check the MEDIA icon next to the language icon.  Click on it and click on the CHECK box to see if it needs updating (see pic 4)

jw1.JPG

jw2.JPG

JW3.JPG

jw4.JPG

Edited by jwhess

add pictures