JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

This is the same view in a NORMAL Winter.  The falls is usually buried beneath a thick white blanket by now.

IMG_20160121_103121175.thumb.jpg.fc3b97cec958a7136e5fdc375cf20cf7.jpg

This is the pic I was remembering. From what little I know of it Michigan is notorious for wicked winters. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

This is the pic I was remembering. From what little I know of it Michigan is notorious for wicked winters. 

Wicked and extremely looooooooooooooooooooooooooong.  Ralphuparubberchicken.gif.0e85eec34d6f153989723673cf131227.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was having a conversation with a sister last week about how warm it's been. Had potatoes, onion and celery growing! Shame on me, next thing I know we had such fierce winds it took 4 trees down in my backyard! Now, 3 days later we have freezing rain. I didn't think it was so bad so I went to do a job, the first one was ok but as I headed to the second it was no longer ok,  suddenly the whole line of cars were sideways! Pffft, got turned around and headed home. Heard from a sister in a neighboring congregation, she said law enforcement called the brothers and asked that they tell all to stay home. Huge ice storm. I guess it's normal for some but it's not for us "rain" people 🙂, snow coming tomorrow. 

My understanding is California has been hit with huge amounts of snow too.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

28 minutes ago, IcemanEli said:

Next Saturday it will be -35. Not unusual here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah, I'm cold just thinking about -35! I follow some folks on YouTube from Antarctica...I don't know how you folks do it. You're tough man, tough 💪 

Our last two meetings have been on Zoom. We had a significant snowfall here, and the Kingdom Hall is on a side street. It'll take a few days before the city gets around to clearing it so the brothers will have a place to park their cars.

2023-12-05_2041.thumb.jpg.4dcdbd763dc0a9de6a2578b34ec57bf8.jpg

2023-12-05_2042.thumb.jpg.927a2b54cb1d225edf2fc2170ce72d8b.jpg

(These photos are at my apartment, not at the KH.)

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

Nos deux dernières réunions ont eu lieu sur Zoom. Il y a eu de fortes chutes de neige ici et la Salle du Royaume se trouve dans une rue latérale. Il faudra quelques jours avant que la ville commence à déblayer le terrain afin que les frères aient un endroit pour garer leurs voitures.

2023-12-05_2041.thumb.jpg.4dcdbd763dc0a9de6a2578b34ec57bf8.jpg

2023-12-05_2042.thumb.jpg.927a2b54cb1d225edf2fc2170ce72d8b.jpg

(Ces photos sont dans mon appartement, pas au KH.)

Snow can be dangerous for trembling legs but how beautiful it is!!

Just finished shoveling path to garage. Also blew the driveway. My neighbor came over and helped do the driveway. He moves a lot faster than I do. 😁😁

We got a good8-10 inch’s over night as path and driveway was done yesterday too. 😬

Now that I can move the car out I gotta go get fuel for the blower. 

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

We had to cancel 2 days of cart witnessing for Thursday and Friday, and field service and the Sunday meeting had to be over zoom due to us having single digit to sub-zero temps.  Something we're not used to having more than a couple of days.  Several friends pipes have frozen, and we hope that the kingdom hall pipes haven't frozen, otherwise, Tuesday's meeting will also be over zoom.

Our part of Oregon has been getting bitter cold temps the past few days. It's quite pretty outside and clear with the snow. Tomorrow is a different story! It's not supposed to get above freezing until Wednesday. That being said it still beats my days in Montana and Michigan! In Billings it was -15 with a windchill of -31! In Grand Rapids it was 5 degrees. I liked the cold when I was younger. Not so much anymore. I went outside last night around 6pm to see the moon peeking thru the trees where we live.

WeatherStory1.jpg

DSC_0831 moon over snow looking south.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

Yep, it was hot! And another one today. Gooseberry Hill is where our Kingdom Hall is. It’s usually a bit cooler there cause it’s in the hills and leafy. 

But you guys have high humidity 😭. That’s a lot worse. Stay cool too! 

And for the Northern hemisphere, can we trade places please? My eyeballs feel like they’ve evaporated 🥹

We are experiencing the, “river in the sky” thing. Its been raining. The ground is saturated. Yes, the rivers at last look like rivers, rather then streams. 
We live where quiet a few of us have major driving to get to the meetings. At night, with storms, it can be treacherous. (A few weeks ago, we were going to town. There was a rock slide in the bluffs. [a rocky area where the bluffs are up there, and the river, down there]

And, there you sit, waiting for Cal Trans to get the big equipment to move the slide.)

We were first in the traffic stop so, we got to see all the action. Day time. With my husband driving. There we sat. Only a half an hour or so.

But, night is another story. The sister i travel withʼ (for half the trip to the hall) She is firmly convinced different areas of the highway are just, “getting ready to slide into the river. 
That’s my travel to the hall, in one direction.  
In the other direction, we have dear ones who travel inland, from the coast, that have chosen to serve in our congregation.  They live on the coast. One time, not too long ago, we , (my husband and myself) were on that highway. Going to do shopping. It was raining, and the culverts were blocked. Along side the highway.  We had all sorts of water and debris on that highway. Some of the debris was big enough to make it one lane. (No Cal Trans, yet) Again, day time travel. 
So, our meeting for field service, and the mid week meeting was a Zoom event. 
We are looking at some 11 days of rain from this, “river in the sky” phenomenon. Sunday, daytime driving. We can do it. 
But, for safetyʼs sake, we all are just grateful for Zoom. 
Floods? The river beds are at last full, and I know debris will be part of what is going to the ocean. But, the last big flood we had, (1964) was a result ofʼ yes, the, “Pineapple Express”, (storms from the south, and warm rain) the flooding was because of snow melting in the high mountains. 
We don’t have that snow pack, so, maybe no major flooding. 
In six months, this will be but a memory. And as a thank you for the rain, wild flowers will probably be in abundance. 
So, yes, the weather can interrupt our daily routine. We stop and thank Jehovah for our care and keeping. And deal with the next day, and because of Jehovah, we deal with it with hope, and anticipation. And, yes, gratitude. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!