JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

Update on the cyclone in the NW WA. This is happening about 1700 kms North of the metro area. 

I just heard on the news that there are wind gusts of up to 310km/h. It's a biggie. Praying that our brothers and sisters up there are safe.

A number of Pilbara communities are tonight on red alert as Tropical Cyclone Ilsa — now a highest-severity category five storm — makes its way towards the WA coast, bringing winds of up to 285km/h.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/severe-weather/red-alert-issued-in-parts-of-pilbara-as-tropical-cyclone-ilsa-nears-packing-winds-of-up-to-285kmh--c-10336427?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=perthnow_update_2023-4-13&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sendgrid+wan_newsletter&utm_source=sendgrid

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

13 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Are you girls in the area where it'll come to shore?

No we're not, Cheryl.   We are both further South in the metro area. When I started studying 35 years ago I was living up there and have experienced cyclones in the past, though this one is a particulary big one.

The most populated town it was headed towards, which is one of the biggest iron ore loading ports in the world, escaped major damage.  However, it headed inland and did AUD4 million damage to a roadhouse, 150kms away.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/tropical-cyclone-ilsa-pardoo-roadhouse-suffers-great-damage-though-too-early-to-tell-extent-c-10340767

Edited by GeordieGirl

On 4/16/2023 at 2:45 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

We stayed near there 2 year ago.

(Personally,  I wouldn't pay $4M for it)

Pardoo.png

I used to go through there when I was driving across the Pilbara as a pilot vehicle driver or driving my ex-husband's truck.

I don't know that it's worth $4 mill in and of itself but the cost of getting everything up there to be able to rebuild, plus the tradies needed to do the work, would take a big chunk of that cost. If you've been there you would know how remote places like this are.

• 2 weeks later...

It's only April in Washington state and typically we should be cool and wet. It's up to 85 today. Lovely, just lovely. I'm happily sweating. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. 😊

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

It's only April in Washington state and typically we should be cool and wet. It's up to 85 today. Lovely, just lovely. I'm happily sweating. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. 😊

It's the opposite here.  Normally we would still be in the mid 20s but it has been a really cool start to Autumn and the temperature has been as low as 17C plus we've already had a nice lot of rain already.  It is sunny today with a high of 19C but there is a definite nip in the air.  I enjoy the cooler weather even though my old bod protests a bit. 😄

Here in Michigan USA, we just got a “winter storm warning” alert  🤨🙄 for Ross’ and my county. 

Munising is where I live and just a short way south of me is where Ross lives.

The white areas on the map is all under that alert.

This winter will just not let go. 

I teased a sister yesterday and said we’ll probably still need our snow tires the end of May to go to our convention. She didn’t think it was funny. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_1414.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Here downunder it is Autumn (Fall).  The area I live is classified sub tropical.  So we have mild winters and our autumn is usually beautiful.  Since global warming however our summer seems to continue into autumn.  Here is the next 7 days where I live…….FD0D363D-E17B-4AAB-BF09-95C1E1E7CB8A.thumb.jpeg.3f8ec737b138dd71d565b1c781b32553.jpeg

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

I teased a sister yesterday and said we’ll probably still need our snow tires the end of May to go to our convention. She didn’t think it was funny.

I had to laugh Linda, yesterday, coming back from the Circuit Assembly it was so hot here, we were having tire low pressure warning  lights flashing, and road gators everywhere...

• 1 month later...

Our areas and surrounding states in the east coast and beyond are having issues from the Canada fires - and the weather can drops and rises, can get a tad breezy in some area(s) My daughter is lives in Orange County, NY - I live in NJ and last night my husband and some fellow workers had issues with coughing and tightness in the chest! - most of the friends did zoom online for FS today, as well as some in the surrounding area(s) - many are advise when going out to wear mask if they  have heart, respiratory or allergies due to the smoke. - 

image.png.f44c1ae6e6a6a3f8baed961b68c88f3b.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/us/smoke-maps-canada-fires.html

Smoke and haze continued to fill the skies across the Northeast on Wednesday, as wildfires burning hundreds of miles away in Canada made the air unhealthy in New York City, Washington and elsewhere.

The forecast computer model in the map above shows where the thickest smoke is likely to be near the earth’s surface over the next several hours.

Roughly 150 fires were active in Quebec alone, according to the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre. Many of these fires started days ago, if not weeks. But a storm system swirling off the coast of Nova Scotia in recent days forced the smoke from these fires south into the United States, and then east — toward some of the most densely populated areas in the country.

The weather pattern is expected to persist for the next several days, with haze likely to continue across the region.

Edited by Tia

7 hours ago, Tia said:

Our areas and surrounding states in the east coast and beyond are having issues from the Canada fires - and the weather can drops and rises, can get a tad breezy in some area(s) My daughter is lives in Orange County, NY - I live in NJ and last night my husband and some fellow workers had issues with coughing and tightness in the chest! - most of the friends did zoom online for FS today, as well as some in the surrounding area(s) - many are advise when going out to wear mask if they  have heart, respiratory or allergies due to the smoke. - 

image.png.f44c1ae6e6a6a3f8baed961b68c88f3b.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/us/smoke-maps-canada-fires.html

Smoke and haze continued to fill the skies across the Northeast on Wednesday, as wildfires burning hundreds of miles away in Canada made the air unhealthy in New York City, Washington and elsewhere.

The forecast computer model in the map above shows where the thickest smoke is likely to be near the earth’s surface over the next several hours.

Roughly 150 fires were active in Quebec alone, according to the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre. Many of these fires started days ago, if not weeks. But a storm system swirling off the coast of Nova Scotia in recent days forced the smoke from these fires south into the United States, and then east — toward some of the most densely populated areas in the country.

The weather pattern is expected to persist for the next several days, with haze likely to continue across the region.

I saw this in the news. Hope you guys are safe everyday! 

• 1 month later...

Vermont Flooding

Teams wrapped up rescue missions for residents trapped by floodwater and there were no reported deaths or ongoing missions tied to the earlier round of storms, Vermont Public Safety Commissioner Jennifer Morrison said Thursday.

Southern Vermont is facing a moderate risk of excessive rainfall and thunderstorms expected Thursday afternoon will last through the night, the weather service said. Much of the already waterlogged state is under a new flood watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here’s what we have to look forward to in North Texas 🥵 

IMG_1560.png

Edited by *Jack*

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 1 month later...

Fourth day of rain in-a= row. I usually get out with doggie twice a day (at least,) MOved furniture yesterday, and had difficulty last night with insomnia. Tried to keep lights low and was out of synch with rearrangement. Still trying to get settled, after moving a while ago. Definitely getting out with BabyGirl tomorrow, expecting better weather =I usually have a cart assignment on Weds, but my cart partner canceled for tomorrow.  Monthly goals finished early. Wishing all here good weather and a good service day.

Edited by kejedo

• 1 month later...

Late spring here and a very early heatwave with temperatures around 39/40C  with minimum last night of 25C. These are January/February temperatures. There have also been very strong Easterly winds and yesterday a bush fire started in our Northern suburbs which is still blazing and the firies say will take a few days to get under control.  So far, 10 houses have gone up in flames as well as sheds and cars. People are still being evacuated as the fire keeps moving but fortunately no lives have been lost.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/residents-flee-in-40c-heat-as-massive-perth-bushfire-destroys-10-homes/qwj3f0qxw