JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

12 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But have you really started summer yet? Perth has had a week of 36C. Not liking it 🥵

Next week the heat will hit Melbourne!

In the meantime,  Melbourne reported the coldest day in Dec - since records started. 

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

I’m dog sitting for a few days in Brisbane atm.  I was hoping for some blue sky and sunshine.  Its cloudy but warm, around 28C.  I also have seen the news reports of the bad weather in USA.  I thought of the brothers so hope all stay safe.  

It was as I thought. Our meeting yesterday (Saturday) was on Zoom, but not because of COVID. It was the ice on the streets and high wind. I was going to write to you yesterday to tell everyone about that, but then a few minutes after the meeting the power went off! And so, no MODEM to get on the 'Net. I couldn't get on for our service group on Zoom either. At first we were told it would be just a couple of hours before power was restored. However, it wasn't. After a couple of hours it was extended by three hours. By late afternoon I was getting cold and hungry, so I wanted to get out of the house and go to a warm place to eat, figuring that by the time I got home the power would be back on. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. The power was still off, so I went to a brother's place nearby for the evening. And when I came back, still no power! The brother gave me a place to curl up for the night. Fortunately, the power was back on this morning. According to my flashing clock reminding me to reset it, the power had been off four about 15½ hours!

So it's nice to be finally back to a nice, warm JWTalk again (although it's still a bit chilly in the house).

Edited by Sheep

• 2 weeks later...

The Kimberley in Western Australia is facing unprecendented flooding. There is now a state of emergency. 

'Expected to be isolated for more than seven days'

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has today issued a severe weather warning for parts of the Kimberley and North Interior districts amid the "one-in-100-year event".

Six-hourly rainfall totals between 70 to 120mm, with 24-hourly totals up to 200mm are likely west of Derby, and the Dampier Peninsula area is bracing for 24-hourly totals up to 250mm.

The Fitzroy River is currently sitting at 15.65 metres and is expected to peak around 15.8 metres on Wednesday morning.

Callum Lamond said the main bridge at Fitzroy Crossing has 'buckled'.

This picture is of the Fitroy Crossing bridge, the only way in and out of the town.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/kimberley-floods-wa-communities-expected-to-be-isolated-for-week-as-major-flooding-continues/8d9aa91a-0681-4085-b6a7-1efa5f3f2e19

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

20 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

The Kimberley in Western Australia is facing unprecendented flooding. There is now a state of emergency. 

'Expected to be isolated for more than seven days'

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) has today issued a severe weather warning for parts of the Kimberley and North Interior districts amid the "one-in-100-year event".

Six-hourly rainfall totals between 70 to 120mm, with 24-hourly totals up to 200mm are likely west of Derby, and the Dampier Peninsula area is bracing for 24-hourly totals up to 250mm.

The Fitzroy River is currently sitting at 15.65 metres and is expected to peak around 15.8 metres on Wednesday morning.

Callum Lamond said the main bridge at Fitzroy Crossing has 'buckled'.

This picture is of the Fitroy Crossing bridge, the only way in and out of the town.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/kimberley-floods-wa-communities-expected-to-be-isolated-for-week-as-major-flooding-continues/8d9aa91a-0681-4085-b6a7-1efa5f3f2e19

💜325747518_HugsGrouphug.gif.c65dcf2ebf82cbc8f935fca0ee01e537.gif💜

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

14 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

So this prompted me to ask- can kangaroos swim ?

• Yes, kangaroos can swim very nicely and at quite a fast speed. Kangaroos are often seen swimming in order to cross the rivers. They do dog paddle movements using powerful back legs which helps them to swim perfectly.
  • This one seems to be flying! 😂
  •  

2023-01-04_13h31_28.png

On 1/5/2023 at 6:32 AM, Lee49 said:

So this prompted me to ask- can kangaroos swim ?

• Yes, kangaroos can swim very nicely and at quite a fast speed. Kangaroos are often seen swimming in order to cross the rivers. They do dog paddle movements using powerful back legs which helps them to swim perfectly.

Not only that they can swim, if you have dogs, the kangaroos will go into a body of water to entice the dogs to follow them in, and when they are close enough to the kangaroo, the kangaroo will then try to drown the dogs by using their long back legs and hold them under water.

We have a couple of dogs that like chasing kangaroos around on our property, and as we have a couple of dams as well, we make sure that the dogs don't go in after them into the dam when the kangaroos are swimming.

8 hours ago, Pabo said:

Not only that they can swim, if you have dogs, the kangaroos will go into a body of water to entice the dogs to follow them in, and when they are close enough to the kangaroo, the kangaroo will then try to drown the dogs by using their long back legs and hold them under water.

We have a couple of dogs that like chasing kangaroos around on our property, and as we have a couple of dams as well, we make sure that the dogs don't go in after them into the dam when the kangaroos are swimming.

Why do they do that?  Because dogs chase them?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

2 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Why do they do that?  Because dogs chase them?

Yes, especially dogs that are working dogs. We have Australian Kelpies, and where one loves the water and swim all day, whereas the other only goes to her belly and says that is enough for me.

California friends!  How are things where you are?  We are hearing lots about your deluge.  Have you evacuated?  Meetings cancelled?  How are you all doing?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 4/27/2017 at 2:54 PM, dilip kumar said:

It's terribly hot here sister. The temperature today was 40 degrees

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

40 degrees celsius is over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  I had to look it up, but I knew it was very hot before I looked.

People generally describe the weather here as bipolar, never know what's coming next.

40 C is 104 F. Only mid 50s ( low mid teens C ) here at in laws in Inland Empire SoCal. Had about 2 inches rain over weekend. Rainy season for this desert area but that is a bit much. Makes a mess of private road but no one wants to chip in to grade and put course gravel down.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 11:04 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

While the US has a cold snap, we are bracing for a heat wave. (40C = 104f)

https://twitter.com/bom_vic

Screenshot_20221225_104121_Chrome.png

That was last month.

Now in Feb (our summer down here), we are having snow in the nearby Alps. Crazy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/cold-snap-to-bring-summer-snow-to-nsw-and-vic/101918366

20230203_080425.jpg

Very cold here today. We have warnings all over the weather websites:

Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.
Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks to warm up.

Yesterday at this time it was -2°C (28°F). Today it's -26C (14 below F), with a wind-chill of -41C (42 below F).

I read in the news today that 484 hydro customers in the city are without power.

8 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

That was last month.

Now in Feb (our summer down here), we are having snow in the nearby Alps. Crazy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-02/cold-snap-to-bring-summer-snow-to-nsw-and-vic/101918366

20230203_080425.jpg

My friend and I were talking about this just yesterday as we were sweltering in the heat here in NSW.  Her at Central Coast and me at Northern Rivers.  I saw last night it was 37C yesterday in Lismore.  I think we were around 32C.  It rained a little around 7pm but it was still hot.  This morning is overcast but I think it will sunny up.  We are doing the cart at Main Beach, Byron Bay this morning so looking forward to a beautiful sunny morning at the beach.🤪