JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

We've got freezing rain ever since this morning. Finally it brought with it numerous widespread power outages all over Montreal! Here it went off at about 3 PM, and it's now after 8:30. Usually, hydro can tell us about how long it should take for power to be restored, but this time there are so many outages (or, outrages) they won't even hazard a guess! So I'm writing this in the dark, and I have to watch TV by candle light.

13 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I can sympathize with you.  We had our ice storm last night.  Our power didn't  stay out for very long, but the internet was out when I got up this morning.

Yeah. It's worse than I thought. Here we are the next day, and I'm still without power. Last night they were saying that 41% of Montreal is without electricity, and today they're saying 400,000 households won't have power restored until Saturday! And you should see the streets here! Tree branches have broken off and are cluttering the road, and bringing down power lines. Look at some of the updates we're getting in the newspaper.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-ice-storm-live-updates-one-third-of-1-1-million-without-power-should-be-restored-by-friday-fitzgibbon

I had the idea of coming to a shopping mall to power up my laptop and keep warm. But I see I'm not the only one to think of that. No free plugs are available! But at least it's warm.

16 hours ago, Sheep said:

We've got freezing rain ever since this morning. Finally it brought with it numerous widespread power outages all over Montreal! Here it went off at about 3 PM, and it's now after 8:30. Usually, hydro can tell us about how long it should take for power to be restored, but this time there are so many outages (or, outrages) they won't even hazard a guess! So I'm writing this in the dark, and I have to watch TV by candle light.

How many channels can you get on candle power? :whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

No, we don't have freezing rain here anymore. But we're still suffering the after-effects. Here is part of what happened on Wednesday, a couple of pictures taken just down my street:

DSCN2717.thumb.JPG.bf0a92e2b49b74d581ee21bc96207db9.JPGDSCN2718.thumb.JPG.0e24e45cb7408cfb207b182ec7321935.JPG

There are many scenes like that all over the city.

Power is still off where I live after 48 hours! And hydro is now saying some will be without power until Sunday or Monday! All this time my house is getting colder and colder. However, I can still sleep okay at night with plenty of blankets, as long as I stay in bed!

The city has set up some places in the city where people without power can go to keep warm, recharge their devices, get an Internet connection, etc. The place I'm in now is open 24 hours, so I'm wondering if there's a place to sleep here too!

And, today when I got here I found out my group overseer had sent me an email… more than 24 hours ago. How nice and loving! Well, I sent him back a reply, and told him my outlook for the next day or two. With the upheaval these days I may have trouble getting to my meeting tomorrow (The city is recommending we limit travel.)

Okay, this is no longer current news. The weather is much better now. But the cleanup from Wednesday is going to take some time, and so is my own recovery.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:07 AM, Sheep said:

Latest updates (Apr 06, 2023  •  Last updated 21 hours ago)

• Power outages affecting telecom services
  • 10 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in Montreal area
  • Montrealers after the ice storm: Takeout, playing cards and reading by iPhone light
  • Châteauguay declares state of emergency; hundreds of homes flooded
  • A man died while cutting branches in Montérégie
  • Environment Canada warns of falling ice and branches this afternoon
  • 400,000 households won’t have power back before Saturday, Hydro says
  • Pointe-Claire, Dorval open several locations where residents can warm up and use Wifi
  • Urgence Québec urges people not to use generators stoves indoors
  • More than 1.1 million customers without power
  • Fire department warns Montrealers about downed electrical wires

On 4/6/2023 at 8:43 AM, Sheep said:

I'm late as usual. 🙄

The laughing emoji wasn't because of your situation. It was your last sentence. 🤗 

I hope things are better for you now. No power in freezing conditions is not  good. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

1 minute ago, GeordieGirl said:

I'm writing this in the dark,

I hope Brother Eric, you have a candle/lamp beside you while you're using your phone. 

https://www.sharp.com/health-news/does-reading-in-the-dark-really-hurt-your-eyes

While reading in low light won’t cause lasting damage to your vision, it can cause eyestrain. Just like any muscle in the body, the eyes can get weak if overworked. Challenging visual work, like reading in dim light, causes the eyes to become tired faster.

“Tired eyes can lead to headaches, itchy eyes, blurred vision and light sensitivity,” says Ostermann, an optician with Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Centers.

12 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

I hope things are better for you now. No power in freezing conditions is not  good. 

Indeed! It was not a thing I want to live through all the time. When we had the infamous ice storm in 1998, I lost power for 24 hours. Others in outlying areas lost it for three weeks! It took some resourcefulness on the part of the brothers to cope with that. But this time I lost my power for almost four days, nothing to be proud of.

I am staying at a brother and sister's home at the moment. However, I am happy to report power at my home was restored at 10:07 AM this morning, Eastern Time. That's just 48 minutes ago! I'm going to give the house a few hours to warm up before going home.

:bouncing::ecstatic::backflip::dance::thumbsup:(:P)>:D<:gun-toot:

Winter seems to have come early to WA this year and we seemed to have slipped from summer to early winter with very little Autumn.  I know it sounds ridiculous to you who are stuck in below freezing temperatures but it is quite cool here at a chilly 21C and I have started layering and wearing socks already. 

And for those of you who are rolling around laughing, it's about acclimatisation. 😛

When I first came to Australia 50 years ago and was living in NSW, I can still remember looking out of the window and on seeing a damp and overcast November day, I dressed appropriately for that sort of weather - in England.

Then walked outside to feel like I was wrapped in a wet, woollen blanket that had just done 15 minutes in a hot tumble dryer. 

The biggest cyclone in 10 years is currently forming off the northern West Australia coast. Expected in a few days, Category 4.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-10/potential-cyclone-ilsa-brewing-off-wa-as-bom-warnings-issued/102196060

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The biggest cyclone in 10 years is currently forming off the northern West Australia coast. Expected in a few days, Category 4.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-10/potential-cyclone-ilsa-brewing-off-wa-as-bom-warnings-issued/102196060

OMW!!!  (Oh, my word!!!)

The crazy, killer weather patterns of this septic system of things just keep on coming'.

Stay safe.  😢

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Western Australia is huge, and the north regularly experiences cyclones. The population is scarce up here, and is mainly mining and aboriginal settlements, who know how to survive cyclone season, and are currently preparing for it now.

However, if cyclones come further south, the homes and buildings are not built for cyclones. Our population centres are in the south of the land. This one will not be a problem for us. Maybe just some well needed rain.

Our climate here is classified as Mediterranean so we rarely get cyclones although we occasionally get the tail end of those further North with winds and, as Lucy says, much needed rain.

The last one we had this far South was 43 years ago, in March/April 1978 - Cyclone Alby, the worst cyclone ever to hit SW WA. Cat 4 hurricane/Cat 5 cyclone. It was totally unexpected and came out of nowhere so no one was prepared for it.

It killed a number of people and caused bushfires from lightening strikes.  It also destroyed a large part of the longest wooden structure in the Southern hemisphere, Busselton Jetty as well as major damage over a vast area of the South West as far South as Albany, 400kms away.

I remember it all very well.  I was living one street back from the beach at the time and had 4 children aged 3 months - 5 years and no power for 4 days. I remember heating baby bottles on a fondue burner but I cannot remember how I cooked or fed my hungry family.   

We were members of a CB radio club at the time, but  I couldn't use the indoor radio because of not having any power. so I would spend some time sitting in our car, which was rocking about and being buffeted by the winds,  monitoring for CREST (Citizens Radio Emergency Services Teams). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Alby

https://www.bdtimes.com.au/news/busselton-dunsborough-times/albys-destructive-legacy-recalled-ng-b88843563z

Edited by GeordieGirl

73 deg. Fahrenheit/22 Celcius

What a wonderful weather. It is the same as the indoor temperature in my last place of employ. We had to wear our woolies. 😉

For those who balk at extremes, Tennessee has neither blistering summers nor frigid winters. Yearly average temperatures come in at 40 degrees (4 deg. C) for winters and around 83 (28 C) degrees during summers. While the climate may still be too humid for some, especially for folks from the northern regions, the heat of most summer days is quite manageable - plus, Tennessee’s multitude of rivers, lakes, and waterfalls provides plenty of recreational opportunities to cool off!

Spoiler

image.png.0b5bf169929f791ab8b9dd94b2c05073.png

1 hour ago, Imagine said:

73 deg. Fahrenheit/22 Celcius

What a wonderful weather. It is the same as the indoor temperature in my last place of employ. We had to wear our woolies. 😉

For those who balk at extremes, Tennessee has neither blistering summers nor frigid winters. Yearly average temperatures come in at 40 degrees (4 deg. C) for winters and around 83 (28 C) degrees during summers. While the climate may still be too humid for some, especially for folks from the northern regions, the heat of most summer days is quite manageable - plus, Tennessee’s multitude of rivers, lakes, and waterfalls provides plenty of recreational opportunities to cool off!

Hide contents

image.png.0b5bf169929f791ab8b9dd94b2c05073.png

My son just moved there recently. He really likes it

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Severe Tropical Cyclone Ilsa will intensify into a category five storm as it crosses the coast of northern Western Australia tonight, making it the most powerful cyclone to make landfall in WA in 14 years.

Ilsa was still tracking as a category four system about 245 kilometres north of Port Hedland at 11:00am this morning, moving south-southwest at 16 kph, with sustained winds near its centre of 185 kph and wind gusts to 260 kph.

Bureau of Meteorology spokesman said “Category five cyclones are incredibly dangerous, wind gusts in excess of 250 kph

"That's going to cause a heap of damage to trees, vegetation, if there were any caravans around they would be destroyed.

"Any houses that aren't built to code are going to suffer extensive damage from that kind of wind strength."

Right now in Perth, over 1000km away, it’s overcast and windy as we will be getting the wash.