JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

When A Video is Unscheduled...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2391 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

They have sent 3ml already and needing additional 20ml to cover basic recovery cost ( at this stage) 

Hmm we need to dig deeper I think. 

Then there is Wenezuela as well :(

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I appreciate that this wasn't presented as a money drive or begging for donations, they just showed us what was needed and why it was needed, the rest is up to us.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A couple from our cong.shown in video  @ 18:30; waiting in line to get their assignments.  Several from here are working very long days.  Driving from 10 to 130 miles one-way.

Some displaced (from our cong.); staying with other friends here or in (Fema paid) hotels.  Insurance and Fema have provided some rental cars to those losing theirs.

No, this is a new video on JW Broadcasting that is about the relief effort in the Atlantic/Gulf area where the various disasters struck.

It includes the Islands, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Florida, Texas and Mexico.

Here in the US, we do not hear much about the damage that was done to Cuba, the Islands under French jurisdiction or Mexico. It was nice to get a full accounting of the area.

Much work and prayers are needed!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 minutes ago, carlos said:

Thanks! It was the "unscheduled" aspect that confused me. :innocent:

I think the "unscheduled" aspect was relating to the fact that the video was not assigned to a meeting, not a part of an assembly or convention program and not arranged for any field service setting.  It was simply "breaking news" and shared by our organization without delay.

On 29.9.2017 at 10:50 AM, Gregexplore said:

They have sent 3ml already and needing additional 20ml to cover basic recovery cost ( at this stage) 

Hmm we need to dig deeper I think. 

Then there is Wenezuela as well :(

I did some math to figure out what 20 million really is for us.

So I took the 2017 yearbook, looked at the strongest countries in terms of GDP and came to the conclusion that if every publisher donated 8 USD on average from the countries USA, Italy, Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Canada, Spain, Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland, that would be sufficient to provide 20 million.

Having said that, the charitableness of our brothers in poor countries like Nigeria, the Philippines and such isn't even taken into account in my calculation.

Of course, not everyone can afford 8 USD per capita, but still that shows what your money is worth if you're from one of those rich countries and from a middle or better income class and can easily part with a two-digit (or even three-digit) cash bill.

Edited by ChocoBro

2 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Of course, not everyone can afford 8 USD per capita, but still that shows what your money is worth if you're from one of those rich countries and can part with a two-digit cash bill.

....or three or four digits....contributions are from the heart no matter what the math says...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

....or three or four digits....contributions are from the heart no matter what the math says...

That's actually what I meant.

I'm just saying 20 million sounds like a big sum, when in reality, it isn't.

Edited by ChocoBro

2 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

from the countries USA, Italy, Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Canada, Spain, Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland, that would be sufficient to provide 20 million.

Since some of the total devastation is located in Puerto Rico, I don't think we can really include it in the list of countries.

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Since some of the total devastation is located in Puerto Rico, I don't think we can really include it in the list of countries.

And you can't count Puerto Rico seperate from the USA, it is in the USA.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Therefore, if each member of the "typical-family-of-four" chipped in 25 cents per week ($1 per family) the total could be raised in less than a year.  The outpouring of support will overwhelm us in the days ahead.  As time goes by, do not let the concern fade.  The rebuilding of these areas and countries will take quite a while.

I was repairing roofs (back in 2005) that had been under FEMA tarps for 1 1/2 years by the time we finished the project.

1 hour ago, Old said:

And you can't count Puerto Rico separate from the USA, it is in the USA.

Well. it is and it isn't. It is a US Territory, not a State - just like the US Virgin Islands.

In either case, those living in Puerto Rico and the US VI are in no position to contribute to the restoration since the devastation is on their doorstep and they are bearing the brunt of dealing with it on a daily basis.

Yes, we need to remember that all the disasters discussed in the video are long-term rebuilds.

They read a letter after the Watchtower Study in our congregation last week asking for donations of generators between 2000 - 6000 watts and other things for a shipment to Puerto Rico out of Patterson. On Tuesday, our COBE told us that all of the needs had been met, and the truck left Patterson that morning with 250 donated generators. The video mentioned over 200 generators, and it amazed us how quickly and generously our brothers responded.