JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooter in Las Vegas

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2108 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone remember an experience of a house invasion on a brother and family where instead of trying to protect themselves with a weapon, they knelt down together, lowered their heads and the father very calmly said that they were Jehovah's Witnesses and would not do anything to retaliate, and are keeping their eyes down so as not to look at them so they would not have to worry about later being able to identify them. 

His quick thinking and right attitude saved their lives..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

15 minutes ago, Dove said:

Does anyone remember an experience of a house invasion on a brother and family where instead of trying to protect themselves with a weapon, they knelt down together, lowered their heads and the father very calmly said that they were Jehovah's Witnesses and would not do anything to retaliate, and are keeping their eyes down so as not to look at them so they would not have to worry about later being able to identify them. 

Yes, I remember something about that not too long ago. Watchtower?

I seem to be lost .... I came back to the thread about the shooting in Las Vegas looking to see if there has been any additional information about it - and found a discussion about JW's owning guns for self-protection :confused:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

To be fair though, this doesn't always work.
Think of our sister in Finland or the Lillelid murders. Just saying, Jehovah isn't a talisman.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

I seem to be lost .... I came back to the thread about the shooting in Las Vegas looking to see if there has been any additional information about it - and found a discussion about JW's owning guns for self-protection :confused:

I certainly hope not. We all know that our untied Biblical stand on that is a definite NO.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

CNN is quoting the Sheriff as saying a note was found in the shooters room, but they haven't revealed the contents, yet ...

A note was found in Paddock's Mandalay Bay hotel room, but it was not a suicide note, the sheriff said. He did not detail what the note said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/us/las-vegas-shooting-investigation/index.html

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

10 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

To be fair though, this doesn't always work.
Think of our sister in Finland or the Lillelid murders. Just saying, Jehovah isn't a talisman.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I think I may have posted this experience in the wrong place because I was not trying to send any kind of message. I just remembered it when reading this thread and admired the brother's reaction to a situation that could have ended in tragedy.

I don't believe that the Organization thought that mentioning they were Jehovah's Witnesses in this situation was using Jehovah's name in a wrong way, because it is well known we are a peaceful and non-violent people and would not retaliate. If I find the article again I will share the context and thought for printing it.

But if this same scenario ever happened to any of us, I don't think it would be wrong to do the same thing this brother did.

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Las Vegas has erected 58 crosses with the names of each victim. 

What would you do if you were the sisters family and you saw a large white cross with her name and picture on it?

Personally I wouldn't say or do anything,  it is what it is.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What would you do if you were the sisters family and you saw a large white cross with her name and picture on it?

What did Jesus do when they did the same regarding his death? Nothing, but send us out to teach the truth. Always good to follow his example.

Soon .....

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Probably not the best ‘time to speak’.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hmm I think for modern standards of political correctness and how easily some are offended, a pretty rash thing to do. Were there no jews, atheists or other among the victims?

But yeah, I'd probably comment on it negatively but not make a fuss.

3 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Hmm I think for modern standards of political correctness and how easily some are offended, a pretty rash thing to do. Were there no jews, atheists or other among the victims?

But yeah, I'd probably comment on it negatively but not make a fuss.

Update: A news reporter said Las Vegas erected the crosses, another report says an individual did it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-erects-58-white-crosses-front-iconic-las/story?id=50323924

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When stuff like this happens in the US I bet people from countries where guns are banned are shaking their heads thinking ‘When are Americans going to wake up and see that no one needs to own guns?’.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 hours ago, alohapaulette said:

What if you live on Grizzly Bear Road?

Then that's not this:

Should a Christian keep a gun, perhaps a handgun or a rifle, to protect himself from other humans?

Christians follow Bible principles when choosing how they will protect and defend themselves. These principles show that it would be wrong for Christians to use such weapons as handguns, rifles, or other types of guns to protect themselves from other humans.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402017484?q=guns&p=par#h=3

Edit: there are no bears in Las Vegas - except 

http://bearslv.org:lol1:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

8 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I bet people from countries where guns are banned are shaking their heads thinking ‘When are Americans going to wake up and see that no one needs to own guns?’.

And when someone sets off a bomb somewhere I guess they think no one needs to own bombs .....

Oh wait, no one should:wall:

OK, when people are stabbed to death - I guess they will no one should own knives:eek:

Or, when a mass raod accident claims several lives and a large number of cars - no one should own a car :shrugs:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

When stuff like this happens in the US I bet people from countries where guns are banned are shaking their heads thinking ‘When are Americans going to wake up and see that no one needs to own guns?’.

As several people have mentioned, most guns are just tools, it depends on how you use them.

My wife has a drawer full of knives, that doesn't make her a potential mass murderer...

What other uses do guns have except a means of killing something?  Ok, I can grant target practice.

Knives have a variety of uses quite apart from potential weaponry.  Just as cars have many uses besides being used as weapons in terror attacks. Guns, though, I cannot understand what the other uses are.

Just now, bohemian said:

What other uses do guns have except a means of killing something?  Ok, I can grant target practice.

Knives have a variety of uses quite apart from potential weaponry.  Just as cars have many uses besides being used as weapons in terror attacks. Guns, though, I cannot understand what the other uses are.

People in some places use them to hunt for food.....

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

And when someone sets off a bomb somewhere I guess they think no one needs to own bombs .....

Oh wait, no one should:wall:

OK, when people are stabbed to death - I guess they will no one should own knives:eek:

Or, when a mass raod accident claims several lives and a large number of cars - no one should own a car :shrugs:

If as many people were killed each year by being intentionally ran over by a vehicle, I bet we would see a discussion on driving rights and restrictions 

6 minutes ago, Dove said:

People in some places use them to hunt for food.....

And protection from wilds animals. Cowboys used them to kill snakes and herd cattle.