JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooter in Las Vegas

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2115 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just now, Shawnster said:

If as many people were killed each year by being intentionally ran over by a vehicle, I bet we would see a discussion on driving rights and restrictions 

More people die by alcohol each year. Or tobacco. But wait, that's self-inflicted, right?

Okay: more people are killed each year by government-held weapons than firearms in private ownership.

System is the problem. If it weren't for the system there'd be no such thing as guns. No corrupt governments, no second amendment.

3 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

If as many people were killed each year by being intentionally ran over by a vehicle, I bet we would see a discussion on driving rights and restrictions 

A car is still a tool and can be misused..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When I was studying someone pointed out me the gun on the back pocket of my jeans. I said “It’s a starting pistol brother.” (Ripped it off anyway.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

5 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And lawn darts/jarts  were just toys but they are illegal in all 50 states 

So, I'm totally missing your point :lol:

Anyway, my comment was that guns are tools, owning a gun is not evil if there is a valid reason to have one. Some people live near wild animals and have guns for protection. 

If we are going to discuss Christians and guns again then we should reopen one of the topics we used.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Australia has strong gun related laws and deep background checks as a result the number of gun related death declined dramatically.

$280.000 fine and up to 14 years jail for illegal ownership of the gun.

In recent gun amnesty 50.000 illegal firearms were collected.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

As several people have mentioned, most guns are just tools, it depends on how you use them.

My wife has a drawer full of knives, that doesn't make her a potential mass murderer...

Yeah but does anyone really need to have assault riffles? That’s just over the top. If one wants to own a gun for protection, a simple hand gun should be good enough. I have heard people say that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. That may be true but guns make it easier to kill people. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

If guns weren't readily available at times of anger, people would just do what they always did, cool off or throw a punch and the anger would be defused. But when the gun is at hand, it is too easy to use it in the heat of anger . Think road rage, family disputes, or being robbed, bar fights, et.

How many times have people killed their own child coming home late at night thinking they were a burgler.

..how many people would still be alive today if it weren't for guns..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I don't own a gun, I never have and I probably never will, that's because I don't need one. I don't have any problem with any one that does own a gun designed for a specific legal and reasonable purpose and it is used for just that purpose.

With that said, guns are a sensitive issue to many people no matter what the gun is designed to do or how it is used so I think the loving thing to do is stop talking about them.

Me first! :wave:

Let's be careful to not get involved with the pro/anti gun political agendas here.

Scripturally speaking, our prohibition is against killing humans, nothing more. If some brothers and sisters choose to own and use guns for Scripturally acceptable purposes, that's entirely their choice. If they choose to take up target practice as a hobby, using what some political groups might classify as an "assault rifle", that's also their choice. And if the relevant governmental authorities place restrictions or bans on anything they might own, surely they would readily comply with Caesar's laws.

While mans laws have allowed for unjust loss of life, we know that the only true solution is Jehovah's Kingdom. Even while some temporary solutions might seem obvious, when dealing with politically charged topics like this one it's very easy to inadvertently take a political side and stretch the bounds of our neutrality.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

So, I'm totally missing your point :lol:

Anyway, my comment was that guns are tools, owning a gun is not evil if there is a valid reason to have one. Some people live near wild animals and have guns for protection. 

If we are going to discuss Christians and guns again then we should reopen one of the topics we used.

And my point was that if hundreds of people were murdered each year by a tool like an automobile as are murdered each year by a tool like a gun we would definitely see a nation wide conversation on automobile control.  Just like we do on gun control.

Laws have already been passed in regards vehicle safety due to the number of people that were being killed in traffic accidents.  Seat belts and speed limits just two examples of government regulation over the automobile tool.

1 hour ago, alohapaulette said:

Not much else will stop a wild boar charging at you.  Then they can be put in the barbecue pit.

You know, nearly every culture has a custom of roasted pig.  It may be the most common cross-culture foods.

31 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

You know, nearly every culture has a custom of roasted pig.  It may be the most common cross-culture foods

Perhaps, except for the Jews .... see, they are missing more than just the point of Jesus having lived and died.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, Miss Bea said:

This sort of hit home. A country music festival. Sounds like something I'd have enjoyed. Don't know, but I think the only crowd I want to be a part of is is theocratic events. I love music, dancing. But, I think I will wait. 

My husband has said that they won't take this sort of violence seriously until it starts happening in this country. Well, it has..

Pitiful. 

Jerry, you and the friends will have a job cut out for you. Consoling a community that has been torn apart. Jehovah be with you. 

I'm only just reading this (after watching so many reports on this  horrendous business) So I apologize for answering a posts on page one - I'm the one who should be a turtle, not Tort. (kiwis are usually faster)

Miss Bea - yes I agree, no matter how benign the subject matter, it's becoming a wise course not to attend a large gathering now, which is sad in one way, but logical knowing the direction the world is headed.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

16 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

When stuff like this happens in the US I bet people from countries where guns are banned are shaking their heads thinking ‘When are Americans going to wake up and see that no one needs to own guns?’.

Yes, yes they absolutely do. Particularly millennialls from the UK, Canada (here), and western Europe, especially those who have grown up in cities where few people ever hunt, many of us have never even seen a real gun (myself included).  And they do indeed think the US is completely balking mad.

But then you have the other group of people who have become so calloused from hearing time after time these sorts of stories, so often from the US, that they no longer even care.  I suppose it's similar to how sometimes you hear a news report "50 killed in bombing earlier today..." and your ears perk up, and then they say the name of a war-torn land in the middle east and you almost feel like it's 'just another one of those incidents.'   This is essentially how many non-Americans in developed countries feel when they hear "shooting, several killed, in...  [insert name of a US state]" at which point they are no longer surprised nor interested in hearing the rest of the report.

It's sad but true.

Edited by Brandon

11 hours ago, Stavro said:

Let's be careful to not get involved with the pro/anti gun political agendas here.

Scripturally speaking, our prohibition is against killing humans, nothing more. If some brothers and sisters choose to own and use guns for Scripturally acceptable purposes, that's entirely their choice. If they choose to take up target practice as a hobby, using what some political groups might classify as an "assault rifle", that's also their choice. And if the relevant governmental authorities place restrictions or bans on anything they might own, surely they would readily comply with Caesar's laws.

While mans laws have allowed for unjust loss of life, we know that the only true solution is Jehovah's Kingdom. Even while some temporary solutions might seem obvious, when dealing with politically charged topics like this one it's very easy to inadvertently take a political side and stretch the bounds of our neutrality.

Thank you Stavro, I think that is all that needs to be said on this subject on this board. I would just like to add for some understanding, that back when I was in my local village's rifle club, I would shoot for the mere focus challenge primarily. I still feel there is nothing quite like archery or shooting that is as relaxing and beneficial for focus and clearing your mind, so it's not necessarily just about practising to kill or simulating violence as you might be able to say about a video-game that revolves around shooting.

Hate to be the wiseguy, but it sure is funny how the Sheriff of Las Vegas keeps changing the timeline round and round due to uncomfortable questions coming to the surface. If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd wonder if there's something else they're not telling us, eh? :P

No but for real, how could they not know from the beginning when Jose Campos was shot, whether at the beginning or the end of the shooting, or what day Paddock checked into the hotel?

Smells fishy to me.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:00 AM, ChocoBro said:

Thank you Stavro, I think that is all that needs to be said on this subject on this board. I would just like to add for some understanding, that back when I was in my local village's rifle club, I would shoot for the mere focus challenge primarily. I still feel there is nothing quite like archery or shooting that is as relaxing and beneficial for focus and clearing your mind, so it's not necessarily just about practising to kill or simulating violence as you might be able to say about a video-game that revolves around shooting.

I completely agree with this. I shoot, and I enjoy it a lot. I primarily shoot air rifles, pellet guns. I can walk about 20ft and sit on my back deck and shoot into the woods behind my house.  I like to trim leaves off the trees and will shoot the occasional fly or bug if the opportunity should land..

The skills needed to accurately place a .22 caliber pellet in the space occupied by a bug that is 30 or 40 feet away is not something that comes magically to you, it is a learned skill. You have to be able to calm your heart, control your breathing, concentrate on all your movements and then do everything perfectly to make the shot.

It is not easy.  If I make the perfect shot, or shoot an impossibly tiny group of shots,  I feel good about it. 

Trying to explain that to a non shooter is practically impossible. 

4 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Hate to be the wiseguy, but it sure is funny how the Sheriff of Las Vegas keeps changing the timeline round and round due to uncomfortable questions coming to the surface.

I agree completely. Last week during a press conference, a reporter asked about the car, and an FBI agent audibly whispered to the sheriff "don't go there".

My feeling is that the investigation still involves a potential second individual (not necessarily a second shooter), and they want to keep that investigation secret to give that person a false sense of security.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/10/14/las-vegas-victim-from-tewksbury-remembered-for-deep-faith-love-for-others/UeXQB5xsNjmIyyndlk1X9K/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3Afacebook

TEWKSBURY — Nearly every day, Rhonda LeRocque would sing “Light in a Darkened World,” a song adapted from Scripture, with her 6-year-old daughter, Aliyah.

“Shining through the darkness,” the chorus goes, “ours is a message so bright. It offers hope and light.”

1 hour ago, ChocoBro said:

Thank you for this update...that's also one of my favourite songs!

I bet it was a very emotional day for all. Our dear sister will awaken soon in a world with no violence. What a great hope we have.....