JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

11 hours ago, leoperales said:

You can accomplish this and save a few steps (highlighting and then deleting the highlight) by doing the following: long press a word until the two selection dots appear and then drag and select the text you want in the fields note, then click on the note icon and make your note.

At least that's what I discovered.

You can reduce even more steps if you just press on the paragraph and selecting the note icon (except for the meeting schedule for some of us )

11 hours ago, shali said:

just curious - what is a "fields note"?

I think it's the box where you write the note

11 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

IMG_0888.JPGIMG_0889.JPGIMG_0890.JPG

"Meeting Page"
Tapped on Zedikiah bar pops up
Tap note-taking then I can create note

I haven't found this functionality yet on Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlighting not required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

see my comment above when answering Leoperales

5 hours ago, niall said:

Nope! I just have the backup icon. Are you using iOS?

By export I mean exporting notes to be used a seperate word processor, email, or another app.

I'm using Android but you should have that, maybe an error on your specific configuration... Can't answer that...

Your export idea is a good suggestion... Send it in (have tried to open the file but I think it's encrypted although some text is readable)

But you can send the backup files by email if you want

Edited by jayrtom

On 11-5-2017 at 7:38 AM, niall said:

I'm using an iPad and iPhone and see no option for export or search. All I see is an icon for backup.

I was testing the window version and foud out it has a searchfunction so hopefully other system will have this option in the future as well

46 minutes ago, MCTDonna said:

I was trying to show a screenshot but it didn't work

Was thuis the screenshot you were trying to take?:

I'm sorry for the latest information I passed about this.. It isn't from android but from Windows Mobile 10. Android like iOS doesn't have a search function for the notes

I'm using Android but you should have that, maybe an error on your specific configuration... Can't answer that...

Your export idea is a good suggestion... Send it in (have tried to open the file but I think it's encrypted although some text is readable)

But you can send the backup files by email if you want

Nothing appears on my iPad or iPhone so it might just be a feature on Android. I'll check with some others at the Kingdom Hall tomorrow.

I'd assume the backup file is compressed and not necessarily encrypted. Compressing plain text files makes the original text look encrypted. Then again, perhaps the Brothers are encrypting our notes as a precaution.

12 minutes ago, niall said:

Nothing appears on my iPad or iPhone so it might just be a feature on Android. I'll check with some others at the Kingdom Hall tomorrow.

I'd assume the backup file is compressed and not necessarily encrypted. Compressing plain text files makes the original text look encrypted. Then again, perhaps the Brothers are encrypting our notes as a precaution.

Like I said on the previous post I was mistaken... The search feature is only available on windows mobile 10 and windows 10

As for the file I say it isn't compressed because there's big chunks of text perfectly readable

I'm extremely happy for my first cloud backup from my nexus 7 2013 to my nexus 10 and Galaxy s7 edge. Saved my highlights and notes.  I appreciate appchasers video. YAY :thumbsup:

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Just imported my notes from my iPad to my PC and it showed some corruption. A couple of notes were mixed, one showing "Null" as the highlighted text.

Restarting the Library cleared the problem. I will restart after every import to make sure there is no corruption from now on.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 hour ago, Cheeks said:

I'm a little unclear: what is the export function used for? What format is it in?

I'm not familiar with any export function but there is a way to backup and restore your notes.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

So far from creating and importing backups from my android and windows devices, I have had no problems at all. Just that I need to apply the current backup before I start another personal study period. 

It's a wonderful update.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 5/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, appchasers said:

So happy to have this update! This is the one we've all been waiting for.

I've updated our video series on AppChasers.com to now include a How-To video on notes and backups. Please let me know if you see anything omitted that should be added to a Part 5.5 video. Thanks!

http://appchasers.com/2017/05/09/how-to-use-the-jw-library-app-part-5-notes-and-backup/

There are four other parts to this video series so if you know anyone who needs more help with JW Library, these may be of some help.

Thank you for this post. I looked at it some days ago and decided to include this in my Family Worship. I'm glad I did. My wife and daughter paid keen attention and they will take note of the other 4 videos for JW Library. 

Again, THANKS.:ecstatic:

Export = backup

Same difference. 

Not exactly.

"Backup" means making a copy to be used by the original program or application.

"Export" means making the data available in a format that a different program or application can use.

If our notes could be exported as txt, rtf, HTML, markdown, etc. they could be opened in a word processing application, or even sent as an email to someone who doesn't have JW Library installed.

40 minutes ago, niall said:

Not exactly.

"Backup" means making a copy to be used by the original program or application.

"Export" means making the data available in a format that a different program or application can use.

If our notes could be exported as txt, rtf, HTML, markdown, etc. they could be opened in a word processing application, or even sent as an email to someone who doesn't have JW Library installed.

Good point. Thank you for the clarification! :idea:

16 hours ago, Jf800 said:

Android version updated  to 9.0.14111        Anyones knows what change?

My android just received 9.0.14112

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My android just received 9.0.14112

Removed new book from RC?  My phone hasn't updated yet and has new book. Our 2 tablets - updated, no joy for new book.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 5/9/2017 at 10:37 AM, jayrtom said:

More suggestions that I just made.

I also suggest that any other suggestion would be added here so we avoid repeating (in this case I don't think we should use "repetition for emphasis" :wink:)

1- Floating Button to go to the Bible (over any part of the app).
   1.1- When cliquing the button, possibility to chose the verse from a small pop-up window.
   1.2- Possibility of reading the bible, launched from this button, in a pop-up window (possibility to resize this window)
   1.3- when creating a note, possibility to click this button and create a link for the chosen text inside the note
2- Ability to use the app in dual screen mode for the devices that support this
   2.1. Ability to use two instances of JW Library (Useful for two idioms at the same time)
3- Open the images, like we do on wol.jw.org, and be able to resize or save them directly from the app
4- Have a button to enable or disable an "highlight mode". When the mode is ON we can just pass the finger and the app highlights instead of scrolling the screen. When the mode is OFF it    would work as it is right now
5- In the bible, option to hide/show highlights (useful in the ministry if we want to show to the householder a "clean" bible)
6- Ability to use underline instead of highlight
7- Ability to collapse and expand the notes (individually or per paragraph) for the case of lengthy chapters of a publication where we can have several notes, even for the same paragraph, and the right pane becomes completely full of information difficult to see

I like your suggestions, especially being able to disable the highlighting. There are so many times I'm scrolling and I end up highlighting a bunch of text. This is real problem when it's over previously highlighted areas, because you then have to figure out what the original selection was. Speaking of which, is there an undo for this? Haven't tried, but does the shaking the iPad work?

What I'd really like, and it has been discussed already, is being able to paste linkable references. I'm not fond of having dozens of notes on one subject, when I can simply past another scripture or publication link in the same note.

What would be really cool is copying a paragraph from a article and having the app parse the text and create links for all the scriptures and publications you have installed. 

On 5/11/2017 at 3:34 PM, jayrtom said:

That's a good suggestion to add to the list. In fact it may not be that difficult since the note is associated with the pub and the pub is the same only in different Language 

I this would be incredibly difficult — maintaining highlighting consistency across different languages — except for some select cases. If the entire sentence or paragraph is highlighted, this would be easy to implement. Names and certain nouns would transfer across, but much of the sentence structure is not going to be the same. The developers may opt for a "best guess" algorithm, which could get messy and unpredictable, or opt to highlight the entire sentence where any highlighting is present, as a better-than-nothing approach. 

MAJ

Edited by digital_dreamer

Added new suggestion

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

So sorry if this question has already been covered. I have had a look through the last few pages but only found a reference from our tort on the usage, no actual info about the how to. 

I am having problems with the tag feature of update. Basically, I have no idea how to add one though I do want to use them as I think they will be useful. Please can someone clever help me out here. 

Thank you xo

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

So sorry if this question has already been covered. I have had a look through the last few pages but only found a reference from our tort on the usage, no actual info about the how to. 

I am having problems with the tag feature of update. Basically, I have no idea how to add one though I do want to use them as I think they will be useful. Please can someone clever help me out here.

Terri, you may wish to have a look at the video in this post, kindly prepared by a brother here to explain step by step how to add notes, edit them, add tags and backup and restore them: