JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

Is anyone hearing a timeline for an android update?! Seems like FOREVER! LOL ☺

Been 2 or 3 weeks new. (suffer - long)

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I hope I don't come across as upset or ungrateful for all the work the brothers do on our behalf but for the present I am not going to be sitting on the edge of my seat for the Android update.

Just as some of the apps available for Apple products in the past gave them an edge, this last update does as well. All the same, I've paid half for my tablet and am still getting great use out of it. When our update comes, it comes. Until then I will just enjoy what I already have.

I hope I don't come across as upset or ungrateful for all the work the brothers do on our behalf but for the present I am not going to be sitting on the edge of my seat for the Android update.

Just as some of the apps available for Apple products in the past gave them an edge, this last update does as well. All the same, I've paid half for my tablet and am still getting great use out of it. When our update comes, it comes. Until then I will just enjoy what I already have.

I'm sorry to hear it is taking so long for Android. I'm sure the brothers are working hard to get the update out. But there are many challenges they face when developing for the Android operating system. I don't know what is setting their time schedule, but screen size and operating system fragmentation can be a big obstacle for Android developers.

Check out this article showing a graphic of Android devices in 2014: http://opensignal.com/reports/2014/android-fragmentation/

Comparing Android to Apple's six screen sizes might explain why there is a delay. Hopefully, the brothers will get the update out soon!

plutusxerxes91504.jpg

sxgyaux3rruhjzmytssh.png

Just a helpful heads up, Walmart, Target, Costco and others this weekend till the end of the month will offer 1st. gen. iPad mini for $199 (rumored $179 maybe next month) and we still get to use Equipd too!

it has been awhile @ 3 weeks!  ... http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/16287-new-update-for-jw-library-app/page-12   ...  you'll soon even be able to watch  tv.jw.org on the yahoo channel on Apple TV - why fight it?

Edited by timpin

I'm sorry to hear it is taking so long for Android. I'm sure the brothers are working hard to get the update out. But there are many challenges they face when developing for the Android operating system. I don't know what is setting their time schedule, but screen size and operating system fragmentation can be a big obstacle for Android developers.

Check out this article showing a graphic of Android devices in 2014: http://opensignal.com/reports/2014/android-fragmentation/

Comparing Android to Apple's six screen sizes might explain why there is a delay. Hopefully, the brothers will get the update out soon!

The screen size fragmentation of Android is not actually an issue.  There's bigger issues with the OS fragmentation (mainly from sloppy, cheap OEMs not updating) and hardware incompatibilities, but there's actually only like four or five screen "sizes" that developers work with: http://rustyshelf.org/2014/07/08/the-android-screen-fragmentation-myth/

I can already watch JW Broadcasting on my Roku now and with the browser on my Android device - who's fighting anything?

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

And I can download any video. I mean ANY video easily and watch it without the need of an extra app to keep it all sorted. I can even sort them however I want using the built in file explorer. :wave: And the best part, I don't have to worry about file size. I use a SD Card for storage. :wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The screen size fragmentation of Android is not actually an issue. There's bigger issues with the OS fragmentation (mainly from sloppy, cheap OEMs not updating) and hardware incompatibilities, but there's actually only like four or five screen "sizes" that developers work with: http://rustyshelf.org/2014/07/08/the-android-screen-fragmentation-myth/

Very good point!

Go to JW.org, and under JW Library APP, go to FAQ, and it will tell you about updates for Androids devices. Updates may be released at different times for each platform.

Very good things are on its way.

Did not see a FAQ site
Edited by I_want_to

sister Margaret i believe this is what she is referring to...

http://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/android/

4th question states there are different release times:

Why doesn’t the app have the same features on all platforms?

JW Library will have the same basic functionality on all platforms. However, features and updates to the app may be released at different times for each platform.

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

Coming Soon  (likely / hopefully before the convention season)

• Highlight text and make notes as you study

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

I can already watch JW Broadcasting on my Roku now and with the browser on my Android device - who's fighting anything?

...   sorry, I meant to say you can already wirelessly Airplay to Apple TV, but next month (soon) JWB will be on Yahoo which is a station on the Apple TV device (just like roku)  

The new video from yesterday had been added to JW Library on the iPad. It looks like it comes out one day and then the next, it is on JW Library.

Android should have this before the EOM.

Hi just asking can I the videos from jw library on my windows laptop please

I am not sure that I understand you correctly but the videos for your laptop will have to be downloaded from jw.org. The download buttons are below the videos. Windows does not support the jw library app or at least beyond the first version before any updates and that only through a third party program called BlueStacks.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

The very first Pinned Topic in this Forum (JW Related News and Publicly Shared Information) Is JW Broadcasting - February 2015. You will find download links in that Topic. Just copy and paste in the Search, change the Month and you will find JW Broadcasting Topics back to October 2014. In each you will find download links.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Yes, I can already wirelessly cast to the AppleTV device from my Android tablet ... in fact, we test that in the Hals when we do an install to make sure we can Airplay and cast from the Android

Yes, I can already wirelessly cast to the AppleTV device from my Android tablet ... in fact, we test that in the Hals when we do an install to make sure we can Airplay and cast from the Android

What Android app are you using to cast to Apple TV? I have the Apple TV Media app but the last time I used it, it would only cast local content, not Web based content like JW Broadcasting.

I am not sure that I understand you correctly but the videos for your laptop will have to be downloaded from jw.org. The download buttons are below the videos. Windows does not support the jw library app or at least beyond the first version before any updates and that only through a third party program called BlueStacks.

JW Library has been available on Windows 8.1 from the beginning and has been updated regularly just like the Apple and Android versions. 

It is normally the last one to be updated after Apple and Android, so if you Android users are getting impatience with waiting for this latest update, then spare a thought for us Windows users.

I use AllCast Premium - the paid version (4.99)

You have to d/l (install) the free version first ... the "Premium" is a license key. The free version has all the capabilities as premium but restricts your stream to five minutes.

According to the app:

AllCast lets you send photos, music, and videos on your Android to your TV!

AllCast lets you cast to:

* Chromecast
* Amazon Fire TV
* Apple TV
* Xbox 360, Xbox One
* Roku
* WDTV
* Samsung, Sony and Panasonic Smart TVs
* Other DLNA Renderers