JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

9 hours ago, cmcewen said:

I need some help. I use an android tablet at the meetings with no problems. My wife is more comfortable with her iPad 4, but there is a problem.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to mute the iPad.  Today it started playing Kingdom music during the public talk. Three times! My wife was trying to find something when it happened the first time. The second two times the iPad was on the floor with no one touching it.

On my android, I can go to Settings/Sounds/Volume and can set Ringtone, Media, Notifications and System to silent. No sound will come out of the machine until I reset it. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in iOS 9.5.3. I can set it to "mute" but Siri and music still play. 

How can I get this thing to SHUT UP! This is simply not acceptable.

If you have the newer iPad, there no longer is a mute button on the side, you need to slide you finger  up from the bottom and you will see a mute button.  

You access the iOS Control Panel by swiping up along the bottom of the display. In this iPad Pro example, it looks like:

Orientation_Lock.jpgiOS 9 Control Panel (iPad Pro)

When you tap on the Mute or Orientation lock, it glows white and a momentary text note at the top of the Control Panel verifies the mode.

15 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am not sure which Ipad you have or which software version you are running.  On my Ipad Air 1, there is a "mute" button on the top edge (slide button).  On my Ipad Air 2 there is no button.  I am running Ios 9.3.6 and in "settings" there are three options.  The regular "Airplane Mode" setting, the "Do Not Disturb" setting and the "Sounds" setting.  In the Do-Not-Disturb setting, choose "Manual" and check the box for "always".  In the Sounds setting move the sound slide all the way t the left and turn on the "change with Buttons" option (you can use the volume keys).  The Airplane mode is either ON-or Off.  These settings have prevented any sounds from my tablets.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I've tried all this. Ester has a 4th generation with 9.5.3. I have set the system on mute through the bottom of the screen. No go. I've set it to "Do Not Disturb" with "Always" on. No go. There doesn't seem to be any setting in Sounds to turn all sounds off. I've shown the problem to an Apple fanatic friend and he's taken the thing to figure out. 

Siri was the problem in the past (and still is: There doesn't seem to be any way to turn this off). Meanwhile, it is galling to have this machine start playing Kingdom music in the middle of a public discourse. Not once, but three times! Thankfully we aren't in heavy metal. Could you imagine?

7 hours ago, momma said:

You access the iOS Control Panel by swiping up along the bottom of the display. In this iPad Pro example, it looks like:

Orientation_Lock.jpgiOS 9 Control Panel (iPad Pro)

When you tap on the Mute or Orientation lock, it glows white and a momentary text note at the top of the Control Panel verifies the mode.

Thanks, but that doesn't do it. Personally, I lean toward Tortuga's solution but Ester would object.

24 minutes ago, cmcewen said:

Can you imagine the congregation's reaction when Siri answered the speaker's question: "I don't understand your problem." True story.

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

17 hours ago, cmcewen said:

I need some help. I use an android tablet at the meetings with no problems. My wife is more comfortable with her iPad 4, but there is a problem.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to mute the iPad.  Today it started playing Kingdom music during the public talk. Three times! My wife was trying to find something when it happened the first time. The second two times the iPad was on the floor with no one touching it.

On my android, I can go to Settings/Sounds/Volume and can set Ringtone, Media, Notifications and System to silent. No sound will come out of the machine until I reset it. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in iOS 9.5.3. I can set it to "mute" but Siri and music still play. 

How can I get this thing to SHUT UP! This is simply not acceptable.

As a last resort, plug in the jack of some cheap earphones with the rest chopped off.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

3 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

As a last resort, plug in the jack of some cheap earphones with the rest chopped off.

That sounds like exactly like the quick, cheap solution i would use..

I like that...

Thanks Bluebeard...

EDIT: I suggest that every attendant carry a earphone jack plug with them from now on...:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

56 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

TODAY'S  MACGYVER AWARD GOES TO:

ChrisTheConfused

:ecstatic:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 5 September 2016 at 10:27 PM, Old said:

TODAY'S  MACGYVER AWARD GOES TO:

ChrisTheConfused

:ecstatic:

I think I got the idea from someone at meekspace.org

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On September 4, 2016 at 7:35 PM, cmcewen said:

Don't tempt me.  I'm already hot under the collar over this.

Sorry, I just want to laugh. I think most of us have suffered the mouthy iPad syndrome. Doesn't look like you live to close to me. Worry about it being catching!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 9/5/2016 at 1:27 PM, ChrisTheConfused said:

Argggg...

Siri wins again...

Today in San Francisco, Apple broke off its long-running relationship with the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack by excluding it from the forthcoming iPhone 7.

On August 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM, dozerman5676 said:

To be fair and compare "apples to apples" :)......... To say "I have 2 android tablets" that are not as good as my Apple Ipad" is like saying "I have two cars at home that are not as fast as my Porsche, a Chevy Spark and a Ford Fiesta.  You can buy android tablets for $49 and I can guarantee you that they are not as good as a iPad.  On the other hand I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition that is faster, has more ram, more internal memory AND a 128 gig SD card with every JW magazine, book, and video loaded on it.  My Daughters have  Apple products (iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini's)  and I won't get into  whose is better but I'll just say MY Android keeps up just fine with their Apples.

I would have loved to get another Samsung tablet but I needed it bigger than 10.5" but not huge like the 18". So I went back to iPad Pro 12.9 with 256gb. I think this will last until the new system.

29 minutes ago, Hope said:

still no note taking abilities, but we can now sort literature by title (android) - which i do prefer.

It breaks out the 'downloaded' folder into categories too..:thumbsup:

I wonder when the 'Convention Releases' folder will go away...

It also says there are "Play All and Shuffle options for Audio Programs and Videos" but I can't find where these are.

Try going to the right folder under Audio Programs. At least in iOS, they are found in the upper right corner.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

It breaks out the 'downloaded' folder into categories too..:thumbsup:

I wonder when the 'Convention Releases' folder will go away...

I think it was removed last time a bit after the last convention.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Try going to the right folder under Audio Programs. At least in iOS, they are found in the upper right corner.

Yes, I know. It's been on IOS (my iPad) for a while. I was talking about android. The update that came yesterday was for android devices but I couldn't find it on any of my android devices after I updated them.

Edited by mserskine