JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Funny/strange things you heard in service

I´m sure all of us heard something funny or strange from people we met while preaching.

When I was a child, we talked to a man who suddenly claimed that satellite reception "comes directly from the devil" :confused:

It took us quite a long time to understand what he meant. Here in Germany, there is a big company of satellite dishes that inscribes all products with the acronym for "Satellitenantenne" --> it looks like this: SatAn :pinch:

Yesterday, in cart service, I talked to a man who seemed to have a really good opinion about Jehovahs Witnesses. So at the end of our conversation, I wanted to invite him to the memorial. He answered: "I know what this is but I can´t come. I have too many failures..." I explained that we are all Imperfect, that´s why we need the ransom. His answer? - "No, you witnesses are perfect! You can go, I can´t."

I couldn´t persuade him :shrugs:

Have you ever heard such crazy statements, too?

Edited by coonie77

Chrissy :wave:

My sister met once a householder who assured her he is the seventh angel who blows the seventh trumpet. He said he just had to make a gesture with his hand and they would be destroyed. She left at once. :lol:

I had a householder tell me once that he worships Odin. Not sure if he was serious or more likely he was just pulling my leg. In any case he was not interested and the discussion didn't last much.

A sister called on a woman that said another sister told her it was going to 'rain for a thousand years'..:huh: sometimes you wonder how people remember what we say to them..

Maybe at the end of our discussion we should have a summation, 'now how long is Jesus going to reign?'..:D

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I have met God in service. A few times, in fact. One guy said to us: "You are Jehovah's Witnesses. But I am Isaac, and I am God." He invited us into his apartment to show us the proof, but we didn't feel like humouring him. Later in the day I told a sister that we had me God on Sixth Avenue. But she said she had met him once on another street, and concluded that God must have moved.

Oh yes, and I have also met Jesus Christ.

(true stories)

Here's another one for you. I was speaking to a woman in service once, explaining to her about the work Jehovah's Witnesses accomplish around the world. I told her we're no one special, but just ordinary people doing this voluntarily. She objected saying she knows for a fact that we're actually getting paid for going door-to-door. Well, I tried to reason with her. I asked her where the money would come from to pay us. She says: "From your church." So my next question was: "Then where would the church get the money from?" She said the church gets ten percent of all our income. "So let me get this straight," I said. "I pay the church ten percent of my salary, and the church pays me for going door-to-door?" (You can't make these things up.) She concluded: "Exactly! You're all getting rich from it!"

Edited by Sheep

16 hours ago, Sheep said:

Here's another one for you. I was speaking to a woman in service once, explaining to her about the work Jehovah's Witnesses accomplish around the world. I told her we're no one special, but just ordinary people doing this voluntarily. She objected saying she knows for a fact that we're actually getting paid for going door-to-door. Well, I tried to reason with her. I asked her where the money would come from to pay us. She says: "From your church." So my next question was: "Then where would the church get the money from?" She said the church gets ten percent of all our income. "So let me get this straight," I said. "I pay the church ten percent of my salary, and the church pays me for going door-to-door?" (You can't make these things up.) She concluded: "Exactly! You're all getting rich from it!"

:wall:

Last year a woman was invited to the memorial, and for some seconds she seemed to try to remember what she knew about that topic. Our sister wanted to help her a little bit and said: "You might know the scene described in the bible....with the bread and the wine...?" And then suddenly she exclaimed: "YES! I know this! Okay, I´ll come....and I will bring a salad." :uhhuh:

Oh, I remember another one....More than 20 years ago, 2 brothers met an elder Lady close to a cemetery, and she was looking very anxious. They asked her if she needed any help, and she said, she didn´t dare to walk through the cemetery because she was afraid of ghosts. She feared that maybe the dead bodies would cause her harm. The brothers offered to accomany her and to show her that there was no reason for fear. She agreed, and so they walked through the cemetery together. After a while she said: "You were right, there is no reason for fear!". And one of the brothers replied: "Well, we can sympathize with you...Long ago, when we still were in this world, we also had that kind of fears...."

Well, he had the best intentions saying that - but the woman just shouted: "What??? When you were still in this world???" - and ran away.

:lol:

Edited by coonie77

I met a man once who said he didn’t care what the Bible said....then he added “I’m catholic”. He wasn’t joking. 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, coonie77 said:

Oh, I remember another one....More than 20 years ago, 2 brothers met an elder Lady close to a cemetery, and she was looking very anxious. They asked her if she needed any help, and she said, she didn´t dare to walk through the cemetery because she was afraid of ghosts. She feared that maybe the dead bodies would cause her harm. The brothers offered to accomany her and to show her that there was no reason for fear. She agreed, and so they walked through the cemetery together. After a while she said: "You were right, there is no reason for fear!". And one of the brothers replied: "Well, we can sympathize with you...Long ago, when we still were in this world, we also had that kind of fears...."

Well, he had the best intentions saying that - but the woman just shouted: "What??? When you were still in this world???" - and ran away.

:lol:

Think before you speak... ?

25 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Think before you speak... ?

We are so used to using our own 'language' with one another that we forget when talking to non-witnesses that they don't understand it and mis-understand it..:)

But it did make a funny story...:lol:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 4/1/2018 at 7:55 PM, Sheep said:

I have met God in service. A few times, in fact. One guy said to us: "You are Jehovah's Witnesses. But I am Isaac, and I am God." He invited us into his apartment to show us the proof, but we didn't feel like humouring him. Later in the day I told a sister that we had me God on Sixth Avenue. But she said she had met him once on another street, and concluded that God must have moved.

Oh yes, and I have also met Jesus Christ.

(true stories)

I too have 'met' God in service. While doing cart witnessing had a man approach telling us that he was God, in fact he believed that all of us are God because.....................God is in our heart...therefore we are all God.   Have not heard this 'reasoning ' before!

1 hour ago, patkatt1 said:

I too have 'met' God in service. While doing cart witnessing had a man approach telling us that he was God, in fact he believed that all of us are God because.....................God is in our heart...therefore we are all God.   Have not heard this 'reasoning ' before!

Hhmmm. I'm going to have to think about that for a while. Does that mean we are all the Creator? Does that mean we are all almighty? Does that mean we are all eternal? Does that mean we are all Sovereign Lord of the universe? If that was true, then over whom are we Sovereign?

(...think, think, think, Eric. It'll come to you...)

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Hhmmm. I'm going to have to think about that for a while. Does that mean we are all the Creator? Does that mean we are all almighty? Does that mean we are all eternal? Does that mean we are all Sovereign Lord of the universe? If that was true, then over whom are we Sovereign?

(...think, think, think, Eric. It'll come to you...)

If we have heart issues, does that mean God is sick?

If we have a heart attack, did God die?

Why did grandma pinch my butt and say 'Bless your little heart' if my heart was God?

Too many questions....:confused:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/30/2018 at 4:22 PM, coonie77 said:

I´m sure all of us heard something funny or strange from people we met while preaching.

When I was a child, we talked to a man who suddenly claimed that satellite reception "comes directly from the devil" :confused:

It took us quite a long time to understand what he meant. Here in Germany, there is a big company of satellite dishes that inscribes all products with the acronym for "Satellitenantenne" --> it looks like this: SatAn :pinch:

Yesterday, in cart service, I talked to a man who seemed to have a really good opinion about Jehovahs Witnesses. So at the end of our conversation, I wanted to invite him to the memorial. He answered: "I know what this is but I can´t come. I have too many failures..." I explained that we are all Imperfect, that´s why we need the ransom. His answer? - "No, you witnesses are perfect! You can go, I can´t."

I couldn´t persuade him :shrugs:

Have you ever heard such crazy statements, too?

Yes many times ...

And at times people uses the expression "they think that they are perfect". have you heard such comments from people?

Edited by Ibezim Uchenna Gregory

42 minutes ago, Ibezim Uchenna Gregory said:

And at times people uses the expression "they think that they are perfect".

In other words, they think that we think...? I don't remember hearing that, but it sounds like something some might say. I would likely respond by saying, "We're not perfect. That's why we are Jehovah's Witnesses, so we can become perfect one day." Then I might explain what it could mean to be perfect; no one would ever lose his temper with anyone again, no one would ever get sick, never get into a car accident, etc. Then I would try to involve the person into a discussion of what life would be like in a world where everyone living would be perfect.

By the way,  Uchenna, congratulations on your first post here!

58027d43164d0_WelcomeStars.gif.6e4f9756fda2714c90e2c303ae081a43.gif to JWTalk!

Thirty years ago I had a return visit on Jesus. He was homeless, so it was hard to know where he was at. But, being in a small town you’d find him eventually – dumpster diving.

He actually came to listen to my talk one Sunday. He sat by my pioneer partner, but was very restless. Kept saying, “Not good!” at various points in my talk. My partner tried in vain to keep him quiet. :uhhuh:

So, it wasn’t so flattering having Jesus as a RV, and he never came again. :unsure:

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

11 hours ago, Ibezim Uchenna Gregory said:

Yes many times ...

And at times people uses the expression "they think that they are perfect". have you heard such comments from people?

I met a “reverend” at the door once. He told me who he was then asked me if I was a sinner. I said , “of course”.

He said, “really!? You’re sinner?! You shouldn’t be a sinner”!

So, I asked him if he was a sinner. He said adamantly, “No, I don’t sin!” 

I happened to recall this scripture and I read it to him.

1 John 1:8 If we make the statement, “We have no sin,” we are misleading ourselves and the truth is not in us.

He just shut the door. Lol

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.