JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone Use an Instant Pot?

I just got one of those instant pot things.

I have done some searching for Keto recipes. Found a few. 

This morning I made “hard boiled” eggs. Wow! Fix it and forget it. 

Still a little timid about it, but in time and practice hopefully I can make a go of it. LOL

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

That sounds good...everything automatic? I've been thinking about them, and the crock pot idea. I think they are different though. I don't make much meat and I think that is the specialty of the crock pot..so what you have might be of more use to me...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

12 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I just got one of those instant pot things.

I have done some searching for Keto recipes. Found a few. 

This morning I made “hard boiled” eggs. Wow! Fix it and forget it. 

Still a little timid about it, but in time and practice hopefully I can make a go of it. LOL

I bought one on Black Friday.  I got a really good deal and got a great size.  But, I have not used it yet.  :)  I bought it to prepare dishes when I get together with my boys so it could be quick and painless (and I could enjoy visiting them instead of cooking).  :) I am really excited to start using it.  To be honest, I am a little scared of the thing though.  Now, my air fryer, I use it more than I use the stove.  I love that thing!

15 minutes ago, Jnutcurl said:

I bought one on Black Friday.  I got a really good deal and got a great size.  But, I have not used it yet.  :)  I bought it to prepare dishes when I get together with my boys so it could be quick and painless (and I could enjoy visiting them instead of cooking).  :) I am really excited to start using it.  To be honest, I am a little scared of the thing though.  Now, my air fryer, I use it more than I use the stove.  I love that thing!

Yeah, I’m a little spooked too, but especially since I’m not a cook or love being in the kitchen. 

I think you can “slow cook” in an instant pot too. 

But being on Keto now has changed that. LOL

We just got one two weeks ago, we have done a whole chicken, turned out great, then we did a beef stew, and my favorite is baby back ribs.  20 or 30 minutes and then we take them out and broil them with sauce to tighten them up.  mmmm.  Let's see what else have we done, oh yeah I did pork chops, even the thin ones were tender.  Last night some friends gave us one of those air fryer things for our 25th anniversary, cant wait to try that out.  I hear good things about french fries.  LOL

I LOVE the instant pot!  I’ve done a lot of beans in it. I’ve also done a perfect polenta. It’s sooo easy!  I use that along with a crockpot and make meals for a week. At least I do when I’m organized. 😂

The hardest part is all the chopping I have to do to put everything together. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

3 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

I LOVE the instant pot!  I’ve done a lot of beans in it. I’ve also done a perfect polenta. It’s sooo easy!  I use that along with a crockpot and make meals for a week. At least I do when I’m organized. 😂

The hardest part is all the chopping I have to do to put everything together. 

Is there a certain brand name? On Amazon they have high reviews for the Ninja...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

55 minutes ago, Dove said:

Is there a certain brand name? On Amazon they have high reviews for the Ninja...

This is the one I got. The brand name is “Lux”. 

ACCDD221-B2C1-475E-86D0-AE43BA93FCAC.jpeg

Yes I have the same brand. It’s basically a digital pressure cooker. There are many different brands of coolers but I think the instant pot is part of a brand name. Some refer to it as ipot or instapot. I love the programmable part of it. You can even delay start. Not sure if I’ve used that feature yet. I’ve basically done beans, polenta, rice, bone broth and oatmeal. I’m not a recipe person or I would share. I just sort of throw things together in the moment and hope for the best. 😉

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

1 minute ago, Dove said:

Sounds like you don’t need any other pots and pans if you have this. 

You do if you’re me. :lol1:

Sister Dawn, if I don’t have a recipe that’s written with all directions with all the bells 🔔 and whistles I’m lost. :shrugs:

This is the one I have and I love it. I make hard boiled eggs by the dozen, bone broth, soups, stews, lamb curry and whatever else. It has a salute feature where you can brown up whatever, then add liquid, so it's pretty much mess free. 

I've only had one minor problem. My lamb curry is rather thick, so I got the burn signal and had to go through the whole process of releasing pressure to to my lamb. The next time I sauteed in another pan, added a bit of water in the bottom and put the curry on top. It cooked without a problem that time. 

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

You do if you’re me. :lol1:

Sister Dawn, if I don’t have a recipe that’s written with all directions with all the bells 🔔 and whistles I’m lost. :shrugs:

I think it’s physically impossible for me to follow a recipe exactly. Even when I use one, I always am changing things. It’s a sickness. 

8 minutes ago, Saffron said:

This is the one I have and I love it. I make hard boiled eggs by the dozen, bone broth, soups, stews, lamb curry and whatever else. It has a salute feature where you can brown up whatever, then add liquid, so it's pretty much mess free. 

I've only had one minor problem. My lamb curry is rather thick, so I got the burn signal and had to go through the whole process of releasing pressure to to my lamb. The next time I sauteed in another pan, added a bit of water in the bottom and put the curry on top. It cooked without a problem that time. 

I got the burn warning on my polenta. Turned it off and when I stirred it realized it was perfect. I bet if I had left it in there it would have burned. See, it even helps with that!!

I don't have an "Instant Pot" - but, I do have a pressure cooker. Ours has a built in timer so it turns itself off and, once off, it lets the steam out. Keeps food from over cooking.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

43 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

What size do you have? 3qt. 6qt. 8qt.? I'm not sure which I need.

I would get the six quart. That’s the good basic size. Some people have one in each size and use for different things. The eight quart seems to me to be better for families. The six quart makes plenty of beans, rice etc for out family of four. 

Thanks, that's the one I was leaning towards. But mostly it's just me and Grumpy. Guess we could have the leftovers for lunch, if there is any.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

You can always put less in the 6 quart if you don't want to make a full pot - it is a little hard to put extra in the 3 qt if you find you need more

The 8 qt would probably be a bit of an overkill if you don't have a family to feed

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We received an Instant Pot for our aniversay in August. Does a great job on boiled eggs but how often do you need boiled eggs? If you only need a couple why bother the Instant Pot, let it rest. We get it down when out daughters visit, we put it in a prominent place on the counter, stare at it respectfully. When they leave we place it in the back of the cupboard. Who needs an Instant Pot to cook ramen?  :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

37 minutes ago, Old said:

We received an Instant Pot for our aniversay in August. Does a great job on boiled eggs but how often do you need boiled eggs? If you only need a couple why bother the Instant Pot, let it rest. We get it down when out daughters visit, we put it in a prominent place on the counter, stare at it respectfully. When they leave we place it in the back of the cupboard. Who needs an Instant Pot to cook ramen?  :D

😁

Well, doing the Keto lifestyle a person eats a lot of hard boiled eggs. I love the fact I don’t need to stand there watching the pot on the stove. :shrugs:    LOL Call me lazy. 

Edited by Loopy

3 hours ago, Loopy said:

Well, doing the Keto lifestyle a person eats a lot of hard boiled eggs. I love the fact I don’t need to stand there watching the pot on the stove. :shrugs:    LOL Call me lazy. 

I boil eggs by the carton. What's great about this is that it's fast and the steam kind of separates the shell from the egg, so when it's time to peel, the shell just falls off. I guess I'm lazy too. 😄

I make deviled eggs, egg curry, egg salad, ketofied pho, put them in salads, or just have them as a meal with Genoa salami and black olives. 

3 minutes ago, Saffron said:

I boil eggs by the carton. What's great about this is that it's fast and the steam kind of separates the shell from the egg, so when it's time to peel, the shell just falls off. I guess I'm lazy too. 😄

I make deviled eggs, egg curry, egg salad, ketofied pho, put them in salads, or just have them as a meal with Genoa salami and black olives. 

I love the easy peel. And the egg actually stays intact. I don’t lose 1/2 of it to the shell. 

If all all I did was make hard boiled eggs it would still pay for itself just for that reason

Edited by Loopy