JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Torture of JWs in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1790 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, Cheeks said:

I’m having an issue trying to bring up the website our sister referred to - is it from the Society?

Try this https://jw-russia.org/en/index.html

Yes. Look at the bottom of the site.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 2/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, Victoria said:

Thank you sister Victoria for bringing this to our attention.  Yes you and all our dear brothers and sisters are in my, our prayers.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

I found this article that should help....

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20110501/peaceable-people-defend-name/

Here is a quote from that article;

*** w11 5/1 p. 20 A Peaceable People Defend Their Good Name ***
A Powerful Message
  The tract Could It Happen Again? A Question for the Citizens of Russia clearly shows the public that Jehovah’s Witnesses are not extremists. It exposes the similarities between the current attempts to discredit the activity of Jehovah’s Witnesses and the steps that led to the unwarranted and tragic persecution that the Witnesses experienced during Soviet times. The tract invites readers to visit a special Russian-language Web site, www.jw-russia.org, where they can find out more about the history and activity of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia. The tract also quotes an Internet video address by Russian President Dmitri Medvedev, given in honor of the national Day of Remembrance of Victims of Political Repression. Although a small religious minority in the Soviet Union at the time, Jehovah’s Witnesses were among those harshly repressed by the Soviet regime.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Cheeks said:

I’m having an issue trying to bring up the website our sister referred to - is it from the Society?

Yes it is. It is from the Society. I got it from my COBE first-hand.

They also use several others VERY SPECIAL sites.

Oh! And there is no link to jw.org because it is banned over there.

Edited by campanula

"Absolute rubbish”

This is pure evil!!!

Warning - graphic description of torture!!

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/02/20/7-jehovahs-witnesses-brutally-tortured-russia-spokesman-says

A spokesman for the Jehovah’s Witnesses has said that Russian investigators have brutally tortured adherents of the group who are currently held in detention.

A spokesperson for the Jehovah’s Witnesses said Tuesday that investigators in the Siberian city of Surgut had stripped, suffocated, doused with water and applied stun guns on "at least seven" believers detained on extremism charges, days after criminal cases were reportedly initiated against 19 Jehovah's Witnesses following mass raids.

“The agents stripped the men naked, put a bag over each suspect’s head and wrapped it with tape. Agents then tied each suspect’s hands behind his back, smashed his fingers, and beat him on his neck, feet and kidney,” Jarrod Lopes, a spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses at their world headquarters in New York, told The Moscow Times by email Tuesday.

Lopes said members of the Investigative Committee in Surgut “poured water over the men, shocked them with a stun gun in the anus area—gradually increasing the strength of the shock.”

The victims were reportedly asked to disclose information about their meetings and leadership during the interrogation.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Enemies of the kingdom message the world over have vastly different techniques but the same identical goal.

It is that Jehovah’s Witnesses should no longer be Jehovah’s Witnesses. It is that talk about the hope of God’s kingdom should stop.

To be sure, their methods differ. It can even be though as one faction says to another, ‘You’re going about it all wrong!” 

But the goal is the same.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

Russia’s Tass news agency reported. “However, this judgment, which was also pronounced by the Supreme Court, is not linked to religious practice. What we’re talking about here is the law and the rules being broken.”

Wait, wait... so they spend huge ammounts of times trying to say bad things about us as a "religion" in several articles, and say that it's our beliefs that are extreme, and then follow up with, "but it's not about religion, its about people breaking the law as individuals".

What? Lol. Can't even keep their own facts straight.

I don't even sit to eat a meal without praying for our brothers and sisters in Russia, they are in every single one of my prayers.  I can't wrap my mind around how they justify this kind of treatment for such peaceable people. It is truly Satanic. The details are horrific but I have a feeling that the ones who are enduring this treatment are treating it like a "badge of honor" for maintaining their loyalty to Jehovah and their brothers despite what Satan is doing to them.  Loud and clear they are saying to him : "WE LOVE JEHOVAH OUR GOD MORE THAN OUR OWN LIVES".  Satan is infuriated at their steadfastness proving him, yet once again, the biggest liar and coward in the universe.  Jehovah is allowing this for a reason (and his reasons are always the best ones) so we can be sure he will be with each and every servant during this horrible time as will all the millions of prayers on a daily basis. We all feel helpless that there is nothing we can do except implore Jehovah regarding our brothers and sisters going through this.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I read this news article last night and it has weighed heavily on my mind and heart all day today.  I am having issues focusing at work.  I am praying for them.  I am thinking I will start focusing on the promise that Jehovah has for us and not get wrapped up on the anxieties of this system of things.  Like someone posted earlier, Revelations 2 is a good thing to read.  (Rev 2:10,11)  It put it into perspective for me.  These loving brothers and sisters are being "fully put to the test" and if they suffer death they will "by no means be harmed by the second death".  

When they come out the other end they will see Rev 21:4 realized.

Edited by Gimestr

1 minute ago, shali said:

We all feel helpless that there is nothing we can do except implore Jehovah regarding our brothers and sisters going through this.

In human point of view, it might be so hard but Jehovah is in control... Like you said, He is with them. 

We read from the bible about  witnesses who were being tortured in the  past.. For ex, stephen..While being murdered, he felt at peace and saw Jesus Christ. 

Apostle John was imprisoned and Jah let him see wonderful visions..

3 hebrews were unharmed while in the extremely hot oven(Was it an oven?) 

Daniel was thrown in a pit of lions. Imagine how much courage and strength  was needed. 

Naboth was killed but remained faithful.. 

Samson was blinded but had his strength back.. 

Elijah was psychologically tortured by Queen Jezebel..

Job experienced painful boils and ate from dog's bowl...

Anyway, all other  lists of tortured former Jw was in hebrew chap 11:36, 37 

Most of all, Jesus Christ, he was hanged for many hours. 

Temporary tribulation = everlasting reward 

I do feel sorry for the brothers in detention. Nothing can justify the use of torture, but unfortunately, it is a standard practice in Russia and other CIS countries. That is why everyone in our parts is afraid of the police and law-enforcement bodies in general. They are literally legalised thugs.   

Edited by Bek

This is horrible to hear about.  Yet Jesus  warned that these things would take place.  

Matt 24: 9 “Then people will hand you over to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name.....25 Look! I have forewarned you......

Since these things are to take place,  What can we do on our part? Pray Continuously for these ones that their faith may not give out. As for the rest of us on the outside, Jesus said it best at Matt 26:41- Keep on the watch and pray continually, so that you may not enter into temptation.

And  friends, it's ok to feel sad and angry about it all.  Righteous indignation over it all I think.

Edited by Vinnie

the day will come when people are edited by Jehovah

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

and then follow up with, "but it's not about religion, its about people breaking the law as individuals".

Of course, it makes no sense at all.

It IS about people breaking the laws, but the laws they broke are essentially that people cannot practice the faith of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

It was the point of a previous thread that becomes more applicable with time:

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

When I read this yesterday, it weighed so heavy on my mind. And then this morning while doing my personal study, I read those chapters in Revelation and meditated on how strong those brothers and sister’s integrity to Jehovah is! We’ve all read the accounts in the Bible of faithful ones that have endured in spite of attacks from Satan, but now we have modern day examples of our brothers and sisters that are just as faithful as those in Bible times. It just really strengthens my faith and makes me so proud to be called One of Jehovah’s Witnesses and to know that very very soon, Jehovah is going to put an end to all of this suffering and once and for all show Satan what a liar and slanderer he is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Wait, wait... so they spend huge ammounts of times trying to say bad things about us as a "religion" in several articles, and say that it's our beliefs that are extreme, and then follow up with, "but it's not about religion, its about people breaking the law as individuals".

What? Lol. Can't even keep their own facts straight.

Unfortunately...this is how a totalitarian regime functions.  :(

We need to keep praying for our Brothers. And we need to keep watching and to strengthen our faith. We don't need to panic. This is what Satan wants. Instead we should prepare ourselves and focus on spiritual things and on our hope.

And be cautious about what we post on public places or social networking about our brothers.

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

I was sickened to read this earlier from a link on this thread, & yes it’s now on our jw.org site. Our poor brothers to have to endure this sadistic torture in this day and age is absolutely unacceptable! Jehovah is seeing & keeping account...may he give them strength to endure. 😔

7 hours ago, Bek said:

I do feel sorry for the brothers in detention. Nothing can justify the use of torture, but unfortunately, it is a standard practice in Russia and other CIS countries. That is why everyone in our parts is afraid of the police and law-enforcement bodies in general. They are literally legalised thugs.   

There was an interview with unnamed Secret Service Personel here on the radio in UK. They were saying how torture tends to be pure bullying. They know that they are not interested in any useful information from it because statistics tell most Secret Service people of whatever country, that under torture:

1. people will say anything to  distract from the Truth.

2.People will give out - not the Truth, but what the authorities want to hear to get themselves less torture.

3. Stay quiet so the bullying will go on and be just that and fruitless.

Sad fact is that most Worldly prison services are pretty useless at protecting it's arrested citizens from bullies - even here in UK.Going on the run seems to be the better option, but not easy in a country with so much surveillance and other people eager to report 'undesirables' according to their propaganda. I pray that the brothers do find freedom-loving open-minded people willing to hide/protect them like many that hid the Jews and our people from the Nazis.

This website really goes into detail...not for the fainthearted, it does get a bit more graphic in detail about the interrogations... :(  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-jehovahs-witness-crackdown-surgut-religion-discrimination-a8790761.html

And it worries me that China sounds like they may be right behind Russia, only they seem to be targeting pretty much any religion opposing the one of their choosing... 

https://bitterwinter.org/jehovahs-witnesses-hunted-down-and-deported/

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!