JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Torture of JWs in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1767 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, Old said:

"... withstood only two hours of torture..."

I think we should limit our commenting on this avenue to those that have withstood two hours of torture, ... anyone?

Childbirth?....

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, tuntun said:

two hours of torture is not a 'only'

I had that same thought..2 hours of that kind of pain can seem like an eternity at times..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Yes. Russians are tough compared to Westerners, but Central Asians and those in the Caucuses are even tougher than the Russians. We still have a lot of men in the traditional sense of the word. That is not to say that the West does not have them. It does, but feminism and effeminisation are having a negative impact on many. No offence. 

I personally would not be afraid of institutionalised torture by police or KGB, because they use only light forms that do not kill. I have not heard of a single fatality from police torture yet in our region. If I was tortured in prison, that would be different ball game. I could easily be killed without any serious consequences.  

Death isn’t the worst. Death is a release. No, worse yet is torture that lingers and that makes you suffer for years to come, in some instances. A brother our congregation still suffers 20 years on from the torture he had to endure as a young witness in another European country. The brothers are courageous, but it is fully understandable if they are scared of being tortured. When they are scared, they can gain more courage by trusting in Jehovah and by seeing the reality of our hope clearly.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

53 minutes ago, Dove said:

Childbirth?....

Not meaning to trivialize what the brothers are going through; just helps one to understand the level of suffering..

I have finished the book of Mark today. In its last two chapters, 15-16, Mark says that Jesus was nailed to the stake at the third hour (9 a.m.) and expired at the 9th hour (3 p.m.). That means he was on the stake for six hours before he died. Plus, he had been whipped and beaten for some time before the impalement.

Did Jesus run away or beg the soldiers to stop the torture and the murder of him? No, he bravely endured and even refused to take the bitter wine to avoid dulling his senses to the pain.  

It is said that the whipping itself was sometimes enough to kill some, because of the straps that had jagged bone or metal tips on them. Jesus must have been scourged with that kind of whipped. 

When I tried to picture it all, it was extremely painful just to imagine it. In reality, it must have been far worse. But he still remained faithful despite the unimaginable physical suffering.    

Edited by Bek

Sad fact is that Amnesty International, a UK charity that watches human rights abuses, has reported Russia's torture of prisoners for years since Putin came to power.

This incident with the brothers is just the pinnacle of a long series of such nasty activities in Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/oct/15/russia.chechnya 2000

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/torture-in-eastern-ukraine-and-what-comes-after-it 2015

https://www.raamoprusland.nl/dossiers/rechtsstaat/398-torture-is-common-practice-in-russia-s-gulag 2016

The latest one that actually led to investigation and prosecution of prison guards was a nasty incident very similar to what happened to our brothers, but to a prisoner (not a brother) in Yaroslavl in 2017. The United Nations sent in the evidence and complaints as video evidence had got out to the media of the man being stripped beaten and waterboarded repeatedly.

Many times, they deprive you of basic necessities for long periods of time to confuse you and weaken your resolve before the real pain begins (sleep, food, water).  You go without sleep for 24 hours or more and you probably have trouble spelling your own name.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

16 minutes ago, Igorianov said:

https://tass.ru/ural-news/6242064

European court of human right has denied allegation of torture !!!!

Or so says TASS, the "Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union". There is something that seems contradictory about this. The article says

The European Court of Human Rights notified the Ministry of Justice of Russia about the refusal to satisfy Sergei Loginov’s request to take urgent interim measures in the case,

[...]
It is noted that the Ministry of Justice and the Federal Penitentiary Service conducted a medical examination of the applicant with the participation of independent experts, which did not confirm the fact of torture. The ministry explained that after reviewing the evidence provided and the legal reasoning, the ECHR found no valid reasons for satisfying Loginov's petition.

But if you look at the official documents and the JW-Russia site, it says

According to the order handed down by the court in Strasbourg, the Government of Russia has until March 20, 2019, to comply. The order states that Mr Loginov be immediately examined by medical doctors independent from both the Russian Investigative Committee and the penitentiary system.

Seems to me that there is more to the story here. Russia knows how to make a mockery of the human rights system and evade any responsibility for any of their actions. They probably found a nice legal loophole out of this issue. The ECHR can only do so much.

I saw the photos of our brothers. They probably fell down the stairs though, you know how it is.

This is reminiscent of the spies that came to  the UK, sitting with Putin on Soviet TV and in their media, claiming that they were in the city of Salisbury as tourists to look at the cathedral despite the fact they were followed by local CCTV security cameras in the city going in the opposite direction towards the home of Mr Scripal (the spy who was poisoned with Russian Novichok that also damaged a few other people as well).

UK Newspapers had uncovered the fact they were Russian army people acting undercover and Mr Scripal was on their hit list for providing information about the Soviets to the West.It was so obvious who the Russian men were it seemed either amateur or blatant how they did it and the UK newspapers even took their photographs to where one of the men was born in Russia and his old relatives identified him as well.

But these false reports were not for the benefit of the West, they were fake news to placate  the ordinary people of their own country who they hope don't have access to any other opinion.

As I posted with news item links previously, these 'torture' tactics have been in use in Russian Police stations and prisons for many years now and are a regular matter for human rights courts outside Russia to complain about. They seem to be ignored in Russia as unwanted interfering, unless the cry is so loud they have to make a show of arresting some police/soldiers (like in Yaroslavl 2017) and making out that those Police/soldier actions were 'rogue' and not 'policy' to placate people again.

So sad when the Witnesses were good quiet obedient tax paying citizens in a country so rich in art and culture and now it is becoming more isolated and inward it  will lose tourist income because of actions reminiscent of their dark past being uncovered and not dealt with properly. 

The Russian Investigative Committee, known in Russian as the SC, denies using electric shockers against JWs in Surgut. It also slanders brothers saying that the electric shock marks on their bodies were done by JWs themselves later to "discredit law-enforcement bodies". :eek:

SC denies torture by electric shock of Jehovah's Witnesses in Surgut 

https://bit.ly/2uvL2ri

Edited by Bek

Of course, brothers would not do such a thing. It is clear as day that the Kremlin has just decided to resort to its old propaganda tactics.

What concerns me though is that when the Kremlin is called out publicly on something it wants to keep under wraps, they usually retaliate in some way. If the Kremlin's past behaviour is something to go by, I can say that they will likely either make the life of the tortured brothers very difficult or further tighten the screws on all our fellow believers in Russia. 

4 hours ago, campanula said:

The event will be held at the Press Center of the Rosbalt Information Agency at the address: 4/2 Skatertny Lane, Moscow, p. 1. The Press Center organizes a live video broadcast of the conference . Beginning March 28, 2019 at 12:00.

Which will be in Russian. Wonder if there will be a possibility to get a translation.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dove said:

Childbirth?....

I find it a little wondersome that the only reaction to this is 3 brothers who have never experienced it..😶

33 minutes ago, JennyM said:

What did they say?

This is an article about this event.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&tab=wT&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fm.rosbalt.ru%2Fmoscow%2F2019%2F03%2F28%2F1772343.html

In Russian it is here

http://m.rosbalt.ru/moscow/2019/03/28/1772343.html

Edited by campanula

Fixing links

48 minutes ago, Bek said:

Here is a condensed write-up of the key points.

Wow! Thank you our dear brother for spending the time and effort to translate and relate this information to us! Very much appreciated! 💖

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif