JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Paris: Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1825 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

An example is the Reichstag in Berlin.  A fire in 1933, and then bombed  in WW2 and rebuilt with a new dome.  Wonderful modern/old fusion of a building.

Yes.  This is the aspect of living history that people overlook.  Any long-standing structure will be different than when it was originally built.  It's living history and, like a living person, growth and change is part of life.

So I've wondered in all these discussions about preservation is at what stage in the growth of the building should it be preserved?  As it was built?  Middle life?  At it's time of destruction/damage?  How one personally remembers it?

The proposals for the refurbished Notre Dame are interesting.  I like the glass ceiling.

19 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Turns out there are plans to rebuild it possibly with a post modern update...

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/04/20/modern-architects-want-glass-roof-steel-spire-minaret-notre-dame/

D4lyXxzU8AENVaU.jpg

What an eyesore. Lol.

Man with those spires they must really hate Jehovah since they put so much effort into flipping him off, higher and higher. Kidding.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Reminds me of my local shopping centre, lol. To me it just looks odd and out of place. It's like making a cake, then putting potatoes on top.

Meatloaf with icing?

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Reminds me of my local shopping centre, lol. To me it just looks odd and out of place. It's like making a cake, then putting potatoes on top.

Sounds good to me ! However tasts may very. We were very poor and ate what we could find, this sounds almost as good as the boiled potato sanwhiches my big brother made for me at age four. :D

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

19 hours ago, Nirex said:

Man with those spires they must really hate Jehovah since they put so much effort into flipping him off, higher and higher. Kidding.

Every detail in these cathedrals was designed to impress. People came inside, looked up and felt so little and insignificant. They still have that effect.

A Guardian report says Notre Dame is "a religious monument" whose burning caused "grief", as it is a part of French national identity.

However, it adds that not all "Notre Dames" are created equal. The destruction of other heritage sites do not seem to draw the same reactions in the West. 

The world, obviously, sees such buildings as religious ones. So if someone decides to join others in grieving over the destruction of "Christian" sites, then he also needs to do so when it comes to similar buildings in other parts of the world. 

If you do not want grieve other pieces of art/architecture, then you would be accused of bias towards Christendom. 

So the question is to grieve or not to grieve as a JW?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/26/yemen-notre-dames-bombs-heritage-arms-sales

In France, the construction of these gothic cathedrals, including Notre-Dame of Paris, was marked by a desire, longing, yearning, thirst for power and domination, you name it. It was pure competition, the first one (Saint-Denis) was so new, original and impressive that the second one (Noyon) had to surpass the first, then the third one had to be taller and bigger, and so on. For instance, the cathedral of Notre-Dame of Amiens is so big that it is twice the size of Notre-Dame of Paris, and is as tall as a 15-storey building.

France was in a religious building frenzy. 81 gothic cathedrals popped up across the country in 150 years, mainly in what was called the Kingdom of France (Ile de France where Paris is located) and Picardy. Bishops and builders wanted them bigger, taller, and brighter; every bishop wanted its own, of course, better, brighter than the neighbor. They wanted the best, the cost was not important. Actually, they were able to raise funds to build those massive and oversized buildings by means of relics; it was a big business, - I suspect still is -. The Crusaders brought back from Jerusalem pieces of the 'cross', bones, cloaks, pieces of clothing presumably worn by Jesus and the Apostles, and crusader kings or others who were made saints. They became ‘holy’ relics venerated by pilgrims, thousands of them, who would give offerings to the cathedrals.

Up to this date, cathedrals hold what they call ‘treasures’ made of relics, gems and jewels.

Digging in the history of those monuments, it becomes apparent that the real motives behind those buildings were mainly pride and ambition. Bishops wanted to make a name for themselves, and they tried to outdo one another in their attempts to build cathedrals with more height, more space, and more light. Their ego had no limits.

This is a far cry from the main quality any Christian should reach to reflect the true God and his Son, that is, humility !! 

Edited by Patinage

47 minutes ago, Patinage said:

Up to this date, cathedrals hold what they call ‘treasures’ made of relics

But the only true and sacred relic matters less and less in Christendom. But who cares about the Bible if you have enough nails from the holy cross to shoe every horse in Saxony? 🤣

The mention of relics reminded me of a recent media buzz in Russian‐speaking countries over a video of Orthodox priests using a rotten foot of some saint to sanctify water. 

In the video a priest is seen holding what looks like a remainder of a foot over a huge metal tub full of water. He pours water over the foot repeatedly. When he is done, you can see people pushing each other to get "sanctified" water for consumption. 

Edited by Bek