JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Paris: Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1827 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The difference is ISIS proactively went and destroyed those relics out of bigotry. That's what made me mad. But I certainly didn't care about the loss of a bunch of Canaanite idols. Maybe I would if I believed that this system were to go on for a few hundred more years. But knowing that Jehovah will soon step in anyway and destroy a lot of this stuff himself I just shrug my shoulders at this loss of history. I certainly doubt that Jehovah views the loss of the Notre Dame cathedral or Temple of Baal as anything worth feeling sorry over. Even if he surely also doesn't appreciate the destruction of others property in his name either.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I think they should have left whatever they didn’t like at a museum where they could be studied and preserved. If the collection of Bibles at our HQ and various branches were to be destroyed in a fire, I’d be equally upset even though some of the Bibles include religious art and symbols.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I am glad there were no injuries or deaths. But I was thinking:

What if this massive fire had not happened to the Notre Dame Cathedral?

Here is something quite ironic.

Many of the Catholic people who now are very sad, crying in the streets for the Notre Dame Cathedral will also be some of the very same people who will soon be encouraging and supporting the UN and the government to shut down the entire Catholic Church and they will even deny being members of that religion! :o

These same people will actually want all of the church artwork/valuables to be plundered and for the all of the cathedral and church buildings to either be sold or burned to the ground. How ironic that soon people's minds will change so quickly. 

*** w15 7/15 pp. 15-16 par. 5 “Your Deliverance Is Getting Near”! ***
Should we conclude, though, that the destruction of the religions of Babylon the Great results in the death of all the former members of those religions? Apparently not. The prophet Zechariah was inspired to write about that time. Speaking of someone who was previously part of false religion, the account states: “He will say, ‘I am no prophet. I am a man cultivating the soil, because a man bought me when I was young.’ And if someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds between your shoulders?’ he will answer, ‘Wounds I received in the house of my friends.’” (Zech. 13:4-6) So, apparently, even some of the clergy will abandon their religious course and deny that they were ever part of those false religions.

*** g 11/12 pp. 12-13 The Bible—A Book of Accurate Prophecy, Part 7 ***
Prophecy 1: “[Babylon the Great’s] plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong.”—Revelation 18:2, 8.
Fulfillment: The Bible reveals that at his appointed time, God will move the world’s political powers to turn against Babylon the Great and destroy her. They will “make her devastated and naked” and “eat up her fleshy parts.” (Revelation 17:16) In other words, they will expose her shameful character and plunder her immense wealth. Her destruction will be quick and so complete that not a trace of her will remain.—Revelation 18:21.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

As for me, no matter how valuable a thing is, in a man's perspective, if it's something against Jehovah I won't shed a tear about it's destruction

We, in Portugal, have something similarly valuable as the "Leur" Dame Cathedral. It's a Cathedral built on a site where, allegedly, Mary appeared to 3 little pastors in 1950's or something

This site is so venerated that annually lot's of people go there on foot from distant cities or even countries. When there other people go on knees or even crawling to the place where a big image of Mary is standing.

Sometimes this image goes on tour visiting several places along the country and it is something extraordinary for the people. Once there was almost an accident ant it was news on primetime. If it would be broken I woudn't be upset the least, altough it's a magnificent work of art (unless it would fall on someone's head)

Sometimes there are exibits about religious art (something big here and I had a aunt who was an artist of the kind also). Those are magnificent objects, but gess what, none of them please Jehovah and I wouldn't have a single one in my house (it was difficult explaining that to my aunt when she offered me a valuable piece) 

We shouldn't forget also that christians in Efeso burnt lots of valuable books with no regret - It wasn't the fact that they witnessed the books being burnt by accident, they burnt it themselves - I'm sure they were a part of human history then 

So, I'm sorry for the firemen that have to be there and any injured people but as for the "Leur" Dame cathedral, I am not concerned a bit - Tha's just my opinion and I respect others that think differently

Also religious art is a big business today. Many people cherish all kinds religious‐themed paintings, figurines and other objects and trade in them. 

This also made me think of classical music composed by Bach, Handel and others for false worship. Today they are seen and valued just as part of world arts. But we should not forget the purpose they were written for. They are all part of false religions and the big business that is propping them up. 

I remember when the Taliban blew up a giant Buddha statue hewn into a mountain side, the whole world was abuzz about it. Some condemning the Taliban for destroying a piece of world arts and others were weeping, so to speak, over the loss of such a valuable part of human heritage. 

I personally think we should stay neutral in such cases, that is neither rejoice nor weep unless there are human casualties in the process.

It is just my humble opinion, but every, of course, decides for himself. 

12 hours ago, Shawnster said:

global conspiracy

Yesterday at exactly the same time, a fire broke out in Al Aqsa mosque on the Temple Mount.

https://www.rt.com/news/456655-al-aqsa-mosque-jerusalem-fire/

I'm careful about what to make of this, but it is starting to seem like more than just coincidence.

By the way, another thought about all this veneration of religious and cultural heritage that got lost here. What did Jehovah say to the Israelites when they went into the promised land? All the things in Jericho were to be devoted to destruction. Achan was too blinded by the value of individual items and tried to save them from Jehovah's judgement. How would we respond if, after Armageddon, we were tasked with the mission to destroy items and relics from history, possibly of great material worth or intrinsic beauty?

I'm a simple person. I see something from this system of things and I see a bauble.

Furthermore, what would we do if we were studying to become a Witness and prior to baptism, remembered that we have a piece of religious art that dates back to our great great great great grandparents. Let's say a large, very delicately ornamented golden cross with set-in stones with a very beautiful expression of Jesus, a very valuable piece by a famous Renaissance artist. Would we

A.) Keep it

B.) Donate it to a museum due it being part of cultural heritage

C.) Sell it

D.) Dispose of it / have it smelted and the stones extracted

Just a thought to chew on. Do not be loving any of the things in this world.

35 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

I'm careful about what to make of this, but it is starting to seem like more than just coincidence

Why is it looking like more than just a coincidence?  Simply because there are 3 fires that happened by coincidence?   I don't understand the circular reasoning here.  Is there more information to be lead to your conclusions? 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Why is it looking like more than just a coincidence?  Simply because there are 3 fires that happened by coincidence?   I don't understand the circular reasoning here.  Is there more information to be lead to your conclusions? 

As a homicide detective, if you had three people who all died under mysterious circumstances and detected a pattern, you would start to suspect a serial killing. It's not circular logic at all. Simply my intuition telling me this is weird.

Just now, ChocoBro said:

As a homicide detective, if you had three people who all died under mysterious circumstances and detected a pattern, you would start to suspect a serial killing. It's not circular logic at all. Simply my intuition telling me this is weird.

Notre Dame fire is not suspicious.

A homicide detective would not see a conspiracy or pattern if there was a murder victim in Paris France, another in NY, NY and a third in Jerusalem.  In fact, I would not be surprised if 3 people were murdered in those cities on the same day.  I doubt they were viewed as being connected.

A homicide detective would look for links between the three victims.  Outside of a very basic link - 3 religious centers - what is the connection.  One of those religious centers is not even the same religion.  

Sorry, all I'm seeing is there were 3 churches that had fires on the same day.  I can't see the link to conspiracy.

This is a good thread. I’m going out in service tomorrow. As the world wailed about this, I deleted. Literally, if I could. And, thought to myself, “they ain’t seen nothing yet”. 

But, with the reading of this thread, there will be ones out there we talk to who care. For no other reason then it is, “religious”. This thread put me in a better mood about the thing. 

(I couldn’t help but think about our Kingdom Halls in Washington that were burned. I would want no one rejoicing over that, because they don’t like us) 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Jehovah only promises that our lives will be preserved in the coming war of Armageddon, so I don't get upset when buildings are destroyed now.  It's either now or at Armageddon. And even if most buildings aren't destroyed at Armageddon, that doesn't mean Jehovah won't direct that they be torn down. The history of humans up till Armageddon won't matter in the least.  We will be creating a new history after the Kingdom starts ruling on earth - a history we can truly cherish and be proud of.  Personally, I won't want any reminders of any part of this old system hanging around reminding me of this sick old system.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

55 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Same here. In all three cases it was the authorities or cops that seemed to write it off as accidents. I was starting to think if the authorities or governments are doing it but pretending to not know anything about it. But I tend to overanalyze everything so.. 

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

18 hours ago, ChrisC said:

BBC news have just said that a large number of people identify as Catholic-Atheist.

1hlgkw.jpg

17 hours ago, carlos said:

The Notre Dame cathedral is a jewel of human history and architecture. It's very sad that it's burning.

Notre Dame is not just a religious building. It's a 900 hundred old building. It was built long before America was discovered, in a world completely different from ours. During all the Dark Ages it was a symbol of civilization where art masterworks were treasured and preserved.

It's not just a symbol of Babylon the Great that is burning. That's extremely simplistic. One of the biggest museums in the world is being lost with thousands of wonderful artworks inside it. This is a sad day.

EDIT: I just read all the artwork inside has been moved to a safe place.

16 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Yes, this is a tragic loss of culture and heritage to the Western World.  It would be tactless, tasteless, unloving, and inappropriate to rejoice over this disaster or make light of the fire.  The merchants and  big business are also condemned by Jehovah and marked for eternal destruction, yet it was just as tragic when the Twin Towers, a symbol of that God dishonorable aspect of Satan's world, were destroyed. 

At the same time, between the nations completely burn Babylon the Great with fire and when Jehovah executes divine judgment at Armageddon, being a cultural heritage of Western Civilization probably won't be enough to merit salvation. As man sees is not how Jehovah sees. 

Until then we weep with those who weep. 

15 hours ago, Bek said:

Some of the world famous gargoyles that look like devils must have been damaged in the fire. I don't think it would be appropriate though to weep over places of false worship no matter how valuable they are to the world's cultural heritage. I cannot imagine ancient Israelites being sad over a fire-damaged temple of Moloch or other Canaanite gods.  

13 hours ago, Hope said:

I have a small bit of regret for the amazing craftsmanship and historical value of the loss of that church - I am a great lover of history and architecture. But... it was a church.

I have a balanced view on it all. I don't feel pity over the loss of false religious items, but it's unfortunate as a landmark and historical sight, it's a part of human heritage and is not just church alone. I feel sympathy for those in tears because they are not any wiser, and so I think we should respect their emotions on it, even though we know it's a symbol of false religion. My mom said even, "we shouldn't laugh, how would we like it if other churches or people laughed at our Kingdom Halls buring down?"

What example would we be giving if we openly mocked this event, and then expected pity from others when it happened to us? Since to other people we are just "another religion" too. We "love our enemies", though we don't condone the sin. So we can show respect to them, and at least understand their point of view on these events. It's all about the context.

45 minutes ago, Nirex said:

Same here. In all three cases it was the authorities or cops that seemed to write it off as accidents. I was starting to think if the authorities or governments are doing it but pretending to not know anything about it. But I tend to overanalyze everything so.. 

Lack of evidence is not evidence.

The thing about conspiracy theories is the ones promoting the conspiracy do not feel the burden of proof is on their shoulders.  In fact, they claim that the absence of proof is proof.  They thrust the burden onto others to disprove the conspiracy.

Here we are discussing a conspiracy 24 hours after these events occurred and the only evidence to support the conspiracy is true is that the events occurred.  That is circular reasoning.

11 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Not dad because it’s a church, but sad because it is a part of human history that goes up in flames. When I walked into such building I used to touch the stone work to get a feel of the people who worked on it so many hundred years ago. It connects us to the past.

Yes, but as brother Bek said, suppose the common people considered the temples of Moloch or the Canaanite houses of worship to be a valuable part of human history... Do you think the faithful Israelites would have been sad over the burning of such temples? 

Ancient Babylon definitely had historical value. It was described as “the most glorious of kingdoms” at Isaiah 13:19. It’s hanging gardens were beautiful and probably attracted a lot of people like this church did. It was the most powerful kingdom at that time. Were the Jews to be sad when it was destroyed? Far from it. The Bible prophesied at Jeremiah 51:48 and many other parts of the Bible that the “the heavens and the earth and everything in them will shout joyfully over Babylon.” 

We can expect far more historical and “important” religious buildings with art and artifacts like the Vatican to be destroyed in the future. Should we be sad when it happens? No! Revelation 18:20 says:

20 “Be glad over her, O heaven,+ also you holy ones+ and apostles and prophets, because God has pronounced his judgment on her in your behalf!”+

Now I’m not saying we should be rejoicing over the fact that this church has burned. The Bible says we shouldn’t gloat over stuff like that... but I definitely don’t think we should be sad. I certainly am not.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

10 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I am glad there were no injuries or deaths. But I was thinking:

What if this massive fire had not happened to the Notre Dame Cathedral?

Here is something quite ironic.

Many of the Catholic people who now are very sad, crying in the streets for the Notre Dame Cathedral will also be some of the very same people who will soon be encouraging and supporting the UN and the government to shut down the entire Catholic Church and they will even deny being members of that religion! :o

These same people will actually want all of the church artwork/valuables to be plundered and for the all of the cathedral and church buildings to either be sold or burned to the ground. How ironic that soon people's minds will change so quickly. 

Her shameful character is continuing to be exposed without letup. Only thing left is her actual destruction and stripping her of her wealth which seems inevitably close with the extreme debt of the nations..this may make them feel they have found a measure of security..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The destruction of Notre Dame has no relationship with the future destruction of Babylon the Great, but when I saw this picture:

spacer.png

I recalled this one from the book "Pure Worship":

spacer.png

Edit: I am not happy about the destruction of Notre Dame as I wouldn't be happy of the destruction of Acropolis, Haya Sofya and other buildings of the humanity heritage. Only Jehovah has the right to do so in his own time.

Edited by ouzo

A point of interes:

Notre Dame Cathederal does not belong to the Harlot, she is borrowing it from the merchants and kings. The building and grounds belong to the French government.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Several of the world's richest French billionaires donate more than $500 million to rebuild Notre Dame

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-cathedral-worlds-richest-french-billionaires-donating-more-than-500-million-to-rebuild-notre-dame/

Several of France's wealthiest families are pledging millions to help rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral after Monday's devastating fire. So far, the totals from four major donors already exceed $500 million.

Bernard Arnault, one of the world's richest men, is donating 200 million euros to fund thereconstruction of Notre Dame – that's about $226 million. Arnault and his family announced the donation via their company's Twitter account. 

Arnault is the head of LVMH, a massive company with 70 worldwide brands under its umbrella, including Louis Vuitton, Sephora and Marc Jacobs. With a net worth of more than $90 billion, Arnault and his family are ranked fourth-richest in the world by Forbes

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

37 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The destruction of Notre Dame has no relationship with the future destruction of Babylon the Great, but when I saw this picture:

spacer.png

I recalled this one from the book "Pure Worship":

spacer.png

Edit: I am not happy about the destruction of Notre Dame as I wouldn't be happy of the destruction of Acropolis, Haya Sofya and other buildings of the humanity heritage. Only Jehovah has the right to do so in his own time.

The spire falling down reminded me of a picture in one of our publications of a church spire breaking in half and falling at A.

Not sure if it was From Paradise Lost to Paradise Gained..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

26 minutes ago, Old said:

A point of interes:

Notre Dame Cathederal does not belong to the Harlot, she is borrowing it from the merchants and kings. The building and grounds belong to the French government.

Yes the Catholic church is the only religion authorized to use it for religious purposes..it's the seat of the archbishop..

21 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Yes, first three are Jeff Bezos of Amazon, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett..all Americans..wonder if they will step up..

21 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

The news coming in from around the world about the Fire destroying Notre Dame, was due to renovations.  It started in the attic and worked itself through the rest of the building.  It was not done by terrorists. 

That’s actually very common. Linseed oil has a high incidence of spontaneous combustion and has been a common product in conditioning wood. Exposure however briefly of ancient wood with some similar treatment could easily create the perfect conditions for a fire.