JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Paris: Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1797 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Wasted funds if it's already insured. Could go to the poor. The church is rich enough on it's own, but I doubt that extra ammount will be put in a good place.

News said it was under insured. There was no possible way to ensure for what it is/was worth. Not with all the artifacts.  The age of the building alone would make Notre Dame priceless. 

Crazy they could not raise the couple hundred million for the needed refurbishment, but looks like they will raise enough to restore now. 

Edited by Shawnster

47 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

There was no possible way to ensure for what it is/was worth. Not with all the artifacts.

They have a piece of the actual cross Jesus died on and (drum roll................ The crown of thorns Jesus wore. How can you put a price on that??  That would go quick on eBay! :whistling:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

11 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

France no longer has trees tall enough to rebuild Notre-Dame's roof as it was

https://buff.ly/2KWOdDA

Even if they restore the cathedral before the GT it won't have the same historical significance anymore :wink:

It's like the "Mona Lisa" burning in half and someone restores it with the greatest ability... It won't be the same thing anymore

22 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Wasted funds if it's already insured. Could go to the poor. The church is rich enough on it's own, but I doubt that extra ammount will be put in a good place.

Apparently it's not insured...France owns the Dame

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/notre-dame-has-no-insurance-policy-2019-04-16

so France (ie tax payers ...ie me) will have to come up with the funds.  All billionaire donations welcome😊

Edited by sunshine

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

I thought the thread was about Notre Dame burning and people being sad about it :shrugs:

OK, I've worked my best to move the discussion about Jehovah potentially preserving relics, artifacts, and buildings through Armageddon.  That discussion is here:  https://jwtalk.net/topic/40180-art-history-and-resurrection/

Let's return this discussion to the current news event about the burning of Notre Dame.  

53 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Apparently it's not insured...France owns the Dame

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/notre-dame-has-no-insurance-policy-2019-04-16

so France (ie tax payers ...ie me) will have to come up with the funds.  All billionaire donations welcome😊

Wonder why the Catholic Church is not offering any financial help instead of the taxpayers since they have  such a religious involvement in the building and the wealth to do it ..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

25 minutes ago, Dove said:

Wonder why the Catholic Church is not offering any financial help instead of the taxpayers since they have  such a religious involvement in the building and the wealth to do it ..

The article explains that the State loans it's use out to the church for free and I don't doubt that the church has found  a way of turning it's use into a nice little earner somehow...as for a donation, it's early days but I doubt the church wants the world to know it HAS billions which it can donate (the Vatican pleads poverty every chance it gets), so a public donation  could well backfire.

Edited by sunshine

15 minutes ago, Dove said:

So far it would seem that it isn’t “ The taxpayers “ per se’ but rather a few generous wealthy donors and a whole lot of generous wealthy regular people. ( all of whole happen to also be tax payers no doubt) who have pledged their support. The real question will be “ will forces for secular interests twist the rebuilding into something that reflects their own secular views ?” # no longer a religious icon.

8 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Even if they restore the cathedral before the GT it won't have the same historical significance anymore :wink:

It's like the "Mona Lisa" burning in half and someone restores it with the greatest ability... It won't be the same thing anymore

I would agree if the building had collapsed. But it's only the roof that needs to be rebuilt. The rest of the building is still standing. :)

20 hours ago, Dove said:

Maybe the Vatican is saving its wealth to pay off all the victims in all the sexual molestation of children lawsuits it has to deal with CONSTANTLY?

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

14 hours ago, carlos said:

I would agree if the building had collapsed. But it's only the roof that needs to be rebuilt. The rest of the building is still standing. :)

For now but only time will tell if the base can handle the weight of a new roof, heat can to a lot of hidden danger to the integrity of most building material including steel, of course I don't think they would give the go ahead to rebuild unless the structural engineers sign off on it.😕

29 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

For now but only time will tell if the base can handle the weight of a new roof, heat can to a lot of hidden danger to the integrity of most building material including steel, of course I don't think they would give the go ahead to rebuild unless the structural engineers sign off on it.😕

I think I read that they can't even pound a single nail unless it's approved by the archbishop, whoever..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Found this out after a fire destroyed our dairy barn in 1996.  

Our fifty foot concrete stave silo was irreparably damaged in the fire, but remains standing to this day.

An engineer examined it and said that the concrete staves on the north side of the silo

had been rendered unstructurally sound by the intense heat.  He took a hammer and banged on the staves.

The good staves made a 'ping' sound when struck.  The 'dead' ones just made a dull 'thunk'.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

But after billionaires, companies and worshipers quickly pledged more than a billion euros for the cathedral’s reconstruction, protesters’ anger appeared to have been renewed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/world/europe/yellow-vest-notre-dame.html

"Tout pour NotreDame, rien pour les misérables"

Edited by ChocoBro

4 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/world/europe/yellow-vest-notre-dame.html

"Tout pour NotreDame, rien pour les misérables"

Yes, since the government is apparently incapable of helping its poor citizens they demand that private individuals ( already heavily taxed by the government)give them even more. Well that’s how it goes.

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Turns out there are plans to rebuild it possibly with a post modern update...

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2019/04/20/modern-architects-want-glass-roof-steel-spire-minaret-notre-dame/

What an eyesore. Lol.

Especially so if it did away with the vaulted stone ceiling which was the only reason I would ever have stuck my head in the door.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Turns out there are plans to rebuild it possibly with a post modern update...

What are they trying to recreate?  Because they aren't going to be able to duplicate what was lost.  Are they aiming for another "Cathedral"?  One would expect this is the obvious idea, since that is what it actually is - a place of worship.  But seeing the diverse range of mourning for what people feel they have lost - be it the religious symbol, or the architecture, the works of art, the soul of Paris, etc.  Then you have to take one of those raisons d'etre for Notre Dame as the concept for rebuilding it.

Speaking about the architecture, I actually liked the fusion look.  It is something new, something different, yet still retains the essence of the building.  I don't believe you can get the old girl back again as she was.  That old building is gone, but we all have some connection to it through our common experience.  Buildings are destroyed all the time, but we never forget them.  If they are rebuilt, it can incorporate the old with the new, and it can work.

An example is the Reichstag in Berlin.  A fire in 1933, and then bombed  in WW2 and rebuilt with a new dome.  Wonderful modern/old fusion of a building.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwsvJdwHhC1qwcjxMp9q8DigUMJ2J4sfoH1d-mK3whDc5SuEHK_w  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkLgqyezDQZy3mNegZdd8Cb2FKbUrkRVEhc4tXxuYplUpWZ4Un  image.jpeg.52191b2e6891b1a070874f27f9fdaabf.jpeg  

image.jpeg.a023c1d18da78e47ab0121c31188c089.jpeg   Image result for reichstag building inside

But of course, this is all a moot point.  No Babylonish building will be rebuilt.  I was more making a comment on the idea of a post-modernist look, and whether it would work.