JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What constitutes Extremism and hate-speech today?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1822 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Growing anti-religious sentiment is being expressed in NZ following a controversial social media post by top-scoring rugby player Israel Folau. His million dollar contract to play professional rugby has been terminated on the grounds that his words (calling on sinners to 'repent or go to hell') are hate-speech.

Controversial Social media post by top scoring rugby player has hit headlines in Australia and NZ:

http://nzh.tw/12221593

Destiny church leader Brian Tamaki wades in...

http://nzh.tw/12222438

Edited by Dave

Of course, neither of these so-called christians represent God or the bible, despite their claims. But of course, we'll get lumped in with them

You can be sure Satan will have a field day with this.

Interesting to see how future WT study articles deal with preparing us for persecution.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hate speech

^ by definition: "speech expressing hatred of a particular group of people".

However, the phrase "hate speech" is misused and abused by the left to describe any opinion that differs from theirs, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 4/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, Ludwika said:

Just yesterday on the morning news a "panel of experts " mentioned leaflets and pamphlets left in letter boxes promoting the bible when talking about "hate speech ". I said at the group that morning I'm sure that was directed at us. 

Even though we never leave literature in mailboxes..it's illegal..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

4 minutes ago, Dove said:

That is only true of lands where such a law exists such as the United States, in other countries it cn be OK.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, Old said:

That is only true of lands where such a law exists such as the United States, in other countries it cn be OK.

That's true..just noticed that Ludwika's in New Zealand..not US where it is against the law..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Not here. Only if there is a sticker indicating no wish for advertisement. But even then it's probably not "illegal" but simply not tactful, not sure if there is a law against it.

In the US it is illegal to leave anything in a mailbox that was not sent through the US Mail - that means we cannot leave invitations or any other literature - as well as a note to the person - in their mailbox.

Now, some places that receive home delivery do not have a "mailbox" ... they have a "mail slot" in their door. Often this lets mail just drop onto the floor inside the door. Some may not view this as a "mailbox" - they would be WRONG! ... even if the house also has an actual mailbox.

The US Post Office views such a mail slot as "official" and it is just as illegal to drop a note or an invitation through that slot in the door as it is to put it in their mailbox.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 4/15/2019 at 5:38 PM, Dave said:

Of course, neither of these so-called christians represent God or the bible, despite their claims. But of course, we'll get lumped in with them

You can be sure Satan will have a field day with this.

Interesting to see how future WT study articles deal with preparing us for persecution.

The July 2019 WT is mentioning that! " Prepare Now for Persecution "

3 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

However, the phrase "hate speech" is misused and abused by the left to describe any opinion that differs from theirs, lol.

So, expressing a desire for sinners to burn in hell would be expressing hatred speech toward the group of people labeled sinners? 

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

In the US it is illegal to leave anything in a mailbox that was not sent through the US Mail - that means we cannot leave invitations or any other literature - as well as a note to the person - in their mailbox.

Now, some places that receive home delivery do not have a "mailbox" ... they have a "mail slot" in their door. Often this lets mail just drop onto the floor inside the door. Some may not view this as a "mailbox" - they would be WRONG! ... even if the house also has an actual mailbox.

The US Post Office views such a mail slot as "official" and it is just as illegal to drop a note or an invitation through that slot in the door as it is to put it in their mailbox.

I know a brother who always sticks a tract all the way in the side of a front door sometimes falling inside the house, I myself consider that almost like entering, once he slid one in a door and the householder pulled it in, he stood there waiting, the householder then pushed it back out! 😆

46 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I know a brother who always sticks a tract all the way in the side of a front door sometimes falling inside the house, I myself consider that almost like entering, once he slid one in a door and the householder pulled it in, he stood there waiting, the householder then pushed it back out! 😆

If I can't fit a tract into a door or screen door crevice somewhere i don't bother. I've had interior house doors open when fiddling with a storm door.

not about to break trespassing laws for a tract. 

that home goes on our ever expanding letter writing list.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, Old said:

It became legal in Canada when Canada Post became a crown corporation several decades ago. Before hand it had been illegal.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:56 PM, Leon J said:

If I can't fit a tract into a door or screen door crevice somewhere i don't bother.

Or if can't leave it out of sight of the street. Don't want to advertise someone is Not home.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Why is that up to some agency such as the US Post Office to decide? It sounds like something that would be up to the home owner?

It is used by both sides of the political spectrum to describe anyone with a political view other than theirs. It is as misapplied as the word “terrorist”.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Why is that up to some agency such as the US Post Office to decide? It sounds like something that would be up to the home owner?

It is as simple as:

Romans 13

"Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves"

Since the law of the US puts the use of mailboxes/slots under the jurisdiction of the US Post Office (a government owned and run entity) ... then we abide by the law - since it is NOT in conflict with God's law.

It is as simple as:
Romans 13
"1 Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves"

Since the law of the US puts the use of mailboxes/slots under the jurisdiction of the US Post Office (a government owned and run entity) ... then we abide by the law - since it is NOT in conflict with God's law.

Yes, I know that, I just find a bit odd that the US government has taken it upon themselves to decide what can and cannot go into mailboxes. Do you not have any private companies competing with the US Postal Service, the way many European countries do?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

There are no competing companies that deliver 1st class mail to homes. This is the exclusive purview of the US Gov't - who also provides (sells) the postage stamps for the mail.

Companies like UPS, FedEx, DHL and such deliver "packages" (considered freight) but not "mail" (1st Class correspondence) 

Not all homes have mailboxes - some use a US Post Office ... owned and run by the US Postal Service

There are also some places that have "private lock boxes" that can handle 1st Class mail for those boxes - but, even though they are privately owned, they have to be licensed to handle US Mail and follow all the rules and regulations of the US Post Office and cannot do "home delivery" of such mail and do not transport the mail to other locations ... the outgoing mail they handle is turned over to the US Postal System for handling and delivery to other locations.

Therefore, ALL home mail boxes/slots come under the jurisdiction of the US Post Office - and each home is required to have a mail box, mail slot or Post Office Box ... they can be a slot in the door, fixed on the house, along side the road or, in some cases, a "community location" - the private company boxes also do fit this requirement ... and we cannot leave any literature or invitations in any of these boxes.

Isn't that what all governments do?

Well, the Americans are usually proud to have a government that doesn’t meddle in peoples private lives. Also, here every mail company is free to use the mail slots and mailboxes, and also private persons, if they wish. They are not considered the property of the State.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

It is as simple as:

Romans 13

"Let every person be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore, whoever opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will bring judgment against themselves"

I wouldn't push it, but I believe  the law only applies to labeled mail slots. The are labeled MAIL; US MAIL or possibly LETTERS. Occasionally we see slots in doors that are not labeled, which I steer clear of anyway. Does anyone have a copy of the regulation RE: misuse of mailbox. Does just a slot in a door constitue a mailslot even though it is not identified as such?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

What constitutes Extremism and hate-speech today?

It depends on the laws of a country. In the former Soviet space, governments categorise extremism into violent and non‐violent. 

For example, brothers in Russia are seen as non-violent "extremists". Just a thought that the government does not like can be construed as extremist. If a person "likes" a picture or a post that is critical of the government or the state church, he can be fined or even jailed for "extremism".

As for hate speech in my region, it usually means words that incite hatred towards a particular group. 

Extremism laws are good political weapons of mass control where I live.