JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Should I Get Rid of Cable Tv

There is nothing on anymore... everything is either Immoral or Violent... even the TV commercials are disgusting...

Caught myself watching Deep Blue Sea  And Predator.. I like those movies....trying to get away from Action. Movies...

I don't pay cable it's included with the apartment. But I do have Roku and Netflix...but I notice alot of The Netflix movies and shows are VERY demonic and VERY violent or either Gay. ...can't watch jw broadcasting all day...any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, Shannie said:

There is nothing on anymore... everything is either Immoral or Violent... even the TV commercials are disgusting...

Caught myself watching Deep Blue Sea  And Predator.. I like those movies....trying to get away from Action. Movies...

I don't pay cable it's included with the apartment. But I do have Roku and Netflix...but I notice alot of The Netflix movies and shows are VERY demonic and VERY violent or either Gay. ...can't watch jw broadcasting all day...any suggestions?

You will need to be selective no matter what you do.  There are many violent or demonic books.  There are magazines that promote the self-centered attitude of the world.  There is immoral music and many Witnesses find they weed out their music selection often.  

You are going to need entertainment.  Your children will definitely need entertainment.

As a Christian we must be selective.  

We got rid of cable in 2009 not due to morality concerns but due to cost.  All of our television watching is through the Internet with the Roku.  So we have Netflix and Hulu.  But we must be selective.

In fact, we've found that Hulu has plenty of older television shows.  Sitcoms from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that are more acceptable to our conscience than some of the programming on today.  Does Hulu have immoral entertainment as well?  Yes, but so does regular TV.  

It's about being selective and self-control.  

Sister Shannon,  I agree with you.  

I watch "You Tube" using Roku.  I know you aren't as old as I, but I find some of these older TV shows entertaining.  Also, I like to watch "Britain's Got Talent".  Again you have to be selective.

"To Tell The Truth and "What's My Line" are two of the old shows I watch.

I got satellite a year ago for my wife - and just dropped down to basic at less than half the cost. Next year when contract is up I will cancel it completely.

Wasn't supposed to a contract, however 3rd country call center for Bell Canada , deleted my former account, made me sign up for a new account if I wanted TV

and said I could not get "no contract" again without paying $200 - again. Turns out they pull this stunt all the time - I could have fought them on it.

even the setup techs dislike dealing with 3rd country personnel, because the longer they drag out calls, etc. the more they get paid.

From the accent and knowledge of the Bell outsourcing - I believe it is India.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Is your internet access through your cable TV?  If you stop using cable will you still be able to access this site?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I tried to cancel my Dish and th3 tech says, let me drop this, you’ll have free TV till October something. Than if you still want to cancel than you can call us back. 

O what he cancelled would give me back $40....which I haven’t seen yet. 😡

I’m gonna contact them right away. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

16 minutes ago, pnutts said:

My internet is by an independent, however the "last mile" is thru Roger's cable, and they have problems at time, some I wonder if it is deliberate.

Same!  We are Earthlink customers.  Earthlink subcontracts to Spectrum (formerly Time Warner).  Our bill says Spectrum, we pay Spectrum, tech support is through Spectrum, etc...  We have the nagging issues that Spectrum cannot resolve.  I suspect shenanigans.  

5 hours ago, Shannie said:

Have you considered going for “classics” Macgyver, I love Lucy, Eureka, My Favorite Martian...., Gilligans Island, etc etc ... I usually buy blu rays, or DVD...s, today I am completing my library with the rest of Macgyver, old and new series . ( our local DVD shop has special buy one get one season free).... I have opposite problem, not enough time to catch up on some entertainment..LOL 

This Saturday, I am going to organise a movie night with some young ones ... and there are many good movies that we can watch together ... broaden your horizons...

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 hours ago, Shannie said:

any suggestions

Find a good food channel and then practice the things you learn. Send me cookies.... :thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

44 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

With those.....? :shutup:

b39d5e1bb0391d9ce217205e0312246e.jpg

My Favorite Martian oooohhhheeeehh

38 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Find a good food channel and then practice the things you learn. Send me cookies.... :thumbsup:

Sorry, but cookies fall apart in water and don't taste that good in water either. 🐢

I watch very little tv but I have also noticed that in the last years there are lots of shows that are extremely violent or sexually explicit or have to do with the occult. On the other hand, I find it a bit exaggerate when I hear someone say that there's nothing they can watch on tv. 

Right now we are following "Death in Paradise". Not exaggerated violence, no sex scenes, no spirits, not even bad language. There's a crime and the detective deduces who is the murderer. From time to time I like to watch "Pawn Stars" or similar shows having to do with historical artifacts, or where they bid for containers and the like. Some days ago there was a documentary series about world empires and their huge architectural or technical achievements. My wife loves veterinary shows such as  "The Incredible Dr. Pol" as well as some game shows (she watches tv a lot more than me). And there is no shortage of documentaries about wildlife, volcanoes, astronomy...

We need to be selective with what we watch but I think there's still a wide range of shows to watch other than JW Broadcasting. :)

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Denise made a bunch of cookies today, 3 different recipes. They are destined to go to the crew out in Paradise. 

Interestingly, some have gone missing:shrugs:.....

(..:oops: she should have known better than to leave me alone with fresh cookies in the house...)

7 hours ago, carlos said:

Right now we are following "Death in Paradise". Not exaggerated violence, no sex scenes, no spirits, not even bad language. There's a crime and the detective deduces who is the murderer.

Do you know if Murdoch Mysteries is any good?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

My wife and I do not watch "regular" TV for quite some time, it´s been 12 years in my case. We have 100% switched over to offers like Netflix and Prime Video.

Whenever we feel like watching something, be it a movie, series or documentary, we just stream whatever fits our current need or mood.

That way we can be very flexible and we do not regret it. Still, you have to be very selective nonetheless.

Since these services each offer a free trial I suggest you take a look if they appeal to you more.

Edited by its_Ditz

7 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Do you know if Murdoch Mysteries is any good?

I like the show, but hardly watch it. It is filmed & set in Toronto, ON area.

The main character is same one from FB👁️ show with the deaf female agent as primary character, and him as co-star.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:22 PM, Buttons said:

Sister Shannon,  I agree with you.  

I watch "You Tube" using Roku.  I know you aren't as old as I, but I find some of these older TV shows entertaining.  Also, I like to watch "Britain's Got Talent".  Again you have to be selective.

"To Tell The Truth and "What's My Line" are two of the old shows I watch.

That's what I do too.  Watch You Tube and in search I put in Carol Burnett Show, and I just laugh and laugh!  People need to smile and laugh sometimes, can't always be sour and anxious.