JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/article/Italian-town-experiment-coronavirus-testing-Vo-15141033.php

While Italy is currently the "worst-case scenario" for the United States, the small Italian town of Vò has not reported any new cases of COVID-19 since last Friday and the spread of the illness has been completely stopped there.

Vò, a town of 3,300 just outside Venice, was part of an experiment that involved aggressive testing and quarantine measures. Every single resident was tested for coronavirus in late February when Northern Italy was first rocked by the outbreak, and three percent of inhabitants were found to be carrying the virus.

Andrea Crisanti, an infections expert at Imperial College London, was involved with the experiment and told news outlets that half of the carriers exhibited no symptoms.

“In the UK, there are a whole lot of infections that are completely ignored,” Crisanti told the Financial Times. “We were able to contain the outbreak here because we identified and eliminated the submerged’ infections and isolated them. That is what makes the difference.”

Anyone who tested positive was placed under quarantine, as were individuals that came into recent contact with the infected. The town's residents were then tested again 10 days later, and just .3 percent of the population was found to be carrying the virus. However, at least six infected individuals were asymptomatic and would not have been tested in most other countries.

"It is clear that you cannot test all Italians — but you can test people close to those who are asymptomatic," Crisanti told Sky News. "We must use asymptomatic cases as an alarm bell to widen our action."

Crisanti also warned Sky News that, "for every patient that shows symptoms for COVID-19 there were about 10 who don't."

Mass asymptomatic testing has also helped South Korea withstand the epidemic without the major city-wide shelter-in-place orders, restaurant closures and travel restrictions being implemented elsewhere.

The number of new cases in South Korea has been steadily decreasing in recent days, in large part due to the fact that the country can test tens of thousands of people per day

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.

1 hour ago, Bro Richard said:

It puts under compulsion all people—the small and the great, the rich and the poor, the free and the slaves—that these should be checked on their forehead and that nobody can enter a place to buy or sell except a person having the check on their forehead, This is where it calls for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the number for it is a man’s temperature, and its number is 98.6 - Revelationish 13:16-18

:eek::lol1:

I think the 2013 revision says 37.0.

Anyway, mine says 36.2 so my mild headache must be due to all the Kit-Kats I had earlier. 😳

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I hope you are right.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/louisiana-pastor-coronavirus/index.html

A Louisiana pastor defies a state order and holds a church service with hundreds of people

On Tuesday night, just before the police arrived, Pastor Tony Spell stood in the pulpit of his Louisiana church and delivered a message to hundreds of worshipers before him and fellow believers around the world.

"I just want to encourage the religious world tonight, Amen!," Spell said in a sing-song voice, building to the crest of his sermon.
"Keep going to church! Keep on worshiping God! ... The church is a hospital for the sick! It's a place of healing for the brokenhearted!"

9 hours ago, Wren said:

Just heard of someones backyard chickens being stolen 🍗🐓🙄

Those poor birds... That makes me fear for any of the outside animals. Like .. I live in a trailer park where the landylady loves cats so there's over 100 outside cats. 5 which come around my place that I feed.

.....If times get hard enough are people going to eat the strays? ... Would they eat their pets? Steal others pets to eat? I can't even think about such a thing. :crying:

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

It's easy to let ourselves think the worst. Hopefully it doesn't get so bad where people have to eat their own pets. I think the governments are trying to reassure the consumers about that very reason about not panicking.

I have to stop reading the news. lol

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video

23 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

It's easy to let ourselves think the worst. Hopefully it doesn't get so bad where people have to eat their own pets. I think the governments are trying to reassure the consumers about that very reason about not panicking.

I have to stop reading the news. lol

I don't think we have any food shortage at the present time. The panic buying has taken the distribution system by surprise, they're not geared up for extra deliveries. And there are truck curfews so they don't violate noise laws when people are sleeping etc. But I think seeing empty shelves is a shock and they've lost touch with reason. 

That being said, I remember my father telling me that cats were called "roof rabbits" during WW2 and fair game. 

My husband just told me that after WWII here in Germany, the people were told to eat "Dachhasen" - a form of rabbit. But in reality they were cats. :o

Edited to add I just re-read what you posted, and Dachhasen are roof rabbits!

Edited by Lieblingskind

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video

7 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

My husband just told me that after WWII here in Germany, the people were told to eat "Dachhasen" - a form of rabbit. But in reality they were cats. :o

Edited to add I just re-read what you posted, and Dachhasen are roof rabbits!

My father was from Germany so... 

Gasoline/Fuel may drop to $0.99 cents in the U.S. (Some places already have.)

https://abc13.com/business/heres-when-gas-prices-could-drop-to-99-cents/6024973/

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Gas prices could fall as low as 99 cents per gallon in the coming weeks, according to GasBuddy analyst Patrick De Haan.

NB:  This is one thing I will not be complaining about! :)

Italy is burning their dead now....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy/italian-army-moves-coronavirus-dead-from-overwhelmed-town-idUSKBN21615R

This is literally becoming the Black Plague, just on smaller scale.  Or ... bigger? Bigger in the sense of spread, but smaller on the sense of fatality??

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

21 minutes ago, Nirex said:

Italy is burning their dead now....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy/italian-army-moves-coronavirus-dead-from-overwhelmed-town-idUSKBN21615R

This is literally becoming the Black Plague, just on smaller scale.  Or ... bigger? Bigger in the sense of spread, but smaller on the sense of fatality??

Prayers!  ...I think of those in our KH who are worried about their loved ones in Italy hot spots!!! -  many prayers to ALL.

Religious procession in Russia against Coronavirus is CANCELED due to Coronavirus (LOL :whistling:)

https://www.rt.com/russia/482946-coronavirus-religious-procession-canceled/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/us-coronavirus-case-updates-thursday/index.html

US government is preparing for coronavirus pandemic that could last up to 18 months and 'include multiple waves of illness'

"It may have been that the millennial generation, our largest generation, our future generation, that will carry us through for the next multiple decades -- there may be a disproportional number of infections among that group," Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator said Wedne

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — The number of confirmed cases of COVID-91, the novel coronavirus, has risen to 98 in Tennessee.

The Tennessee Department of Health said cases have been confirmed in the following counties:

• Davidson County - 58
  • Williamson County - 24
  • Rutherford County - 1
  • Campbell County - 1
  • Hamilton County - 1
  • Jefferson County - 1
  • Knox County - 2
  • Sevier County - 1
  • Sullivan County - 1
  • Shelby - 2*

*The Tennessee Department of Health released its numbers of confirmed cases at 2 p.m. Shortly after, the Shelby County Health Department confirmed a third case in the county, bringing the statewide total to 98.

TDH broke down the age range of cases statewide. One patient is between 5 and 17 years old, 51 patients are between 18 and 49 years old, 14 patients are between 50 and 64 years old and six patients are at least 65 years old. THD said there is one case where the age is not known. These numbers do not reflect the latest case to be confirmed in Shelby County.

This is what is interesting, notice the age groups, it's not just older adults 60,70, 80+ years old!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/world/europe/hungary-borders-europe-coronavirus.html

As of Wednesday, by official government counts, it had infected and killed more people in Europe — more than 82,000 cases and more than 3,400 dead — than in China.

Italy, the hardest-hit country, confirmed more than 35,000 infections and almost 3,000 deaths. Spain had almost 14,000 people infected and more than 600 dead. France reported more than 9,000 cases, 264 of them fatal.

I remember when I was in Vietnam there weren’t any dogs running around.  I watched a lady one time holding a mouse by the tail, hold her head back and put that mouse in her mouth and swallow it.  Even though I was in the world back then I still thought that eating a mouse was a little bit.....unusual.  But that was par for course,  they thought nothing of that kind of stuff.  And now I think about what might be coming soon all over the world,  how conditions might be like those inside Jerusalem when the Romans had bottled up the city.  Paints a pretty ugly picture. People need to get out of the world NOW, if it’s not too late. This might be just a warm up to what’s about to hit the world.  Stay safe everyone.

Edited by paulc

Preach The Word....Be At It Urgently. 2 Tim. 4:2

57 minutes ago, paulc said:

I remember when I was in Vietnam there weren’t any dogs running around.  I watched a lady one time holding a mouse by the tail, hold her head back and put that mouse in her mouth and swallow it.  Even though I was in the world back then I still thought that eating a mouse was a little bit.....unusual.  But that was par for course,  they thought nothing of that kind of stuff.  And now I think about what might be coming soon all over the world,  how conditions might be like those inside Jerusalem when the Romans had bottled up the city.  Paints a pretty ugly picture. People need to get out of the world NOW, if it’s not too late. This might be just a warm up to what’s about to hit the world.  Stay safe everyone.

Historian in Jerusalem said that they have eaten their kids. (book of lamentation) 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/19/new-york-doctor-tests-positive-coronavirus-reports-different-symptoms/2873342001/

A New York neurosurgeon has coronavirus. This is what he wants people to know.

He woke up with a little bit of congestion and some minor discomfort on Monday, March 9.

No fever, no cough. 

So Kornel, 66, went to work. He's a neurosurgeon who works both in Westchester County and in the New York City area, and he'd been consistently watching the news and talking with colleagues about the novel coronavirus. 

He knew the symptoms – fever, fatigue, cough, shortness of breath. And he had none of them.

"To me, it’s important that people understand that they don’t have to start with a fever," Kornel said. "Because it was so mild, there was no reason for me to think that I had anything other than a cold."

By the evening of Wednesday, March 11, Kornel said his condition deteriorated. He developed a fever, body aches, chills. It felt like the flu. 

He called the emergency room, went in the following morning and got tested for coronavirus and other viral illnesses.

He got the results back two days later: positive for COVID-19.  

Second and third death in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/breaking/Second-third-coronavirus-deaths-in-Michigan-reported-568927121.html?fbclid=IwAR3Ks7fjiq2d4fD10mDT1ymvqo2t9hcMOb2R8LeKKZ8jSQjECV5Dc6AcAHs

DETROIT, Mich. (WDIV) - Henry Ford Health System Thursday announced its first COVID-19 related death. The 81-year-old patient died Wednesday at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

“As we continue to respond aggressively to this pandemic and monitor developments, both around the world and now here in our nation, we knew we would eventually have to make this announcement,” said Bob Riney, President, Healthcare Operations and Chief Operating Officer, Henry Ford Health System. “We are deeply saddened by this outcome and our hearts remain with the patient’s family and friends.”

“This is a sobering reminder about how critical it is to prevent the spread of the infection,” said Adnan Munkarah, M.D., Executive Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer, Henry Ford Health System. “We must continue to urge our families, friends and neighbors to take the recommended steps to protect ourselves and our most vulnerable patients – namely the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions.”

As of March 18 (end of day), the health system identified more than two dozen COVID-19 positive cases across its facilities and expects that number to rise, now that additional testing capabilities are up and running, including its own lab at Henry Ford Hospital.

WDIV in Detroit reports health officials in Oakland County have also confirmed a woman at McLaren Oakland Hospital has died from coronavirus.

The woman is in her 50s and had underlying health conditions prior to contracting the virus, according to hospital officials.

This is the third confirmed coronavirus-related death in the state. A man in his 50s died from the virus Wednesday in Wayne County. He also had underlying health issues, according to officials.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”