JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

2 hours ago, The German said:

Zoominst says:

AUDIO/VIDEO SUPPORT
25. An exemplary brother should be assigned to care for audio/video support for each Zoom
meeting. To care for this responsibility, he will need to be assigned the “Host” or “Co-host”
role. He should, when possible, use the desktop version of the Zoom application (Windows
or Mac). It may be practical to have two brothers assigned to care for audio/video support for
most meetings.

It primarily should be a brother, but if none are available for this assignment, an exemplary sister could assist (with approval from the elders). From the Organized book, chapter 6 par.9

If brothers are not available, an exemplary sister could be asked to assist with some things, even though she would not, of course, be appointed as a ministerial servant. An individual who is exemplary is someone whose conduct and worship are considered worthy of imitation. His or her meeting attendance, share in the ministry, family life, choices of entertainment, dress and grooming, and so forth are good examples for others.

5 hours ago, AH173 said:

You have sisters on the A/V crew for meetings?? Wow!

Your right this would be a rare/exceptional case....

but if no brothers exist.....sisters have had many roles over the years

initially many of our brothers struggled - so we ‘employed’ some young baptized teenage brothers

eventually we got a few more mature brothers involved - a few Elders / and MS and some other exemplary brothers

ps we still use a few teens - 2 of the teens got appointed during this Covid Drama...and then 2 more in their 30-40’s just last month

On 12/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, DarinS said:

Your right this would be a rare/exceptional case....

but if no brothers exist.....sisters have had many roles over the years

initially many of our brothers struggled - so we ‘employed’ some young baptized teenage brothers

eventually we got a few more mature brothers involved - a few Elders / and MS and some other exemplary brothers

ps we still use a few teens - 2 of the teens got appointed during this Covid Drama...and then 2 more in their 30-40’s just last month

Having been on the sound desk for some years, I find with advancing age I've become slower at reacting to situations. It always take me some time to react.

The younger brothers are so much quicker at rectifying situations. Its a very good idea to involve the teenagers.

I have a feeling sisters would be even quicker too. I know many sisters who are very quick to respond to a situation.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, molnarj said:

image.png.530aac8f536676c78697465a20f0ebbd.png

Perfect! We were waiting for that!

Our congregation experienced this last night. Sweet! 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, molnarj said:

image.png.530aac8f536676c78697465a20f0ebbd.png

Perfect! We were waiting for that!

We don't need that. We have been raising our own hands since the beginning.

The effect: all cameras are on. No: Family ... (name) ... answers. All names are called correctly.
(Telephone subscribers are asked for an answer in advance.)

I think I may be in the zoom co host "doghouse".

As instructed by COBE from prior zoom host/ co-host training we are permitted to remove or put in waiting room those who disrupt the zoom meeting. Yesterday, I informed the cobe about my duties of the following.

1) Early on in the meeting prior to the start, there was a participant who had aimed their camera at their very unkempt floor and I decided to shut their video off.

2) During my part-- for the 5 min organizational accomplishments part a participant brother (as done on previous incidents) unmuted himself during my part as the video was playing. I simply muted him back. Then less than 10 seconds he unmutes himself and then I removed the brother from zoom meeting.

3) Lastly during congregation bible study I get a seemingly urgent text message from one of 2 elders (one is an elder who just got recently appointed -who had his first time being chairman for tonight's CLM and other is the secretary) who monitor the zoom meeting but are not active co-hosts at the time --to remove a sister's video because he believes it is not becoming to the zoom audience (he is the secretary of congregation who supervises me with the accounts), so I promptly stop the sister's video.

After that and informing the cobe I get this:

So I think I am in the "zoom co-host doghouse" for now. LOL

:facepalmpo2:

zoom_cohost_doghouse.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I only wish our Brothers were a little more diligent about muting those who don't mute and lowering hands that were left up as well as turning off cameras that are improperly aimed (distracting)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, AH173 said:

I think I may be in the zoom co host "doghouse"........

That's unfortunate.  I think that better training should have been provided (for you to get a clearer understanding on what to do).  From what you say, it was all kind of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.  

We don't remove anyone from our meetings, unless it's an extreme issue like a disfellowshipped person turning their camera on or refusing to leave after the meeting ends.  

I have three young brothers operating Zoom with me and we all take turns in different assignments ("media" attendant, "audience" attendant, and "host").  As the elder overseeing everything, I'm always either host or co-host even if it's not my turn to do anything on Zoom.  The brothers know that if they see something extremely vulgar like nudity, putting up swear words on a sign in front of the camera, or something outlandish like that, remove them and tell me immediately afterwards.  If it's a hazy issue like immodest dress or something, they know to tell me first so I can check it out and then I'll make the decision. 

If it's something like a brother unmuting himself constantly, or a camera pointed in a weird direction, or something like that, we will always try to send that brother or sister a text message saying something like "please don't do that".  That always does the trick.  

Edited by LRJW

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I only wish our Brothers were a little more diligent about muting those who don't mute and lowering hands that were left up as well as turning off cameras that are improperly aimed (distracting)

For our meetings, we have a participants attendant whose sole assignment is muting and lowering hands.

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We've broken down our assignments in a way that avoids these issues.  We're rather proud of how well our meetings run!  

Media attendant - handles all songs, videos, pictures. 

Audience attendant - keeps an eye at all times on unmuted microphones, letting people in, and lowering hands if needed. 

Host - Is the first one on and assigns co-host duties to the other two brothers, handles breakout rooms after the meeting, and steps in if anyone needs to use the restroom or something.

4 minutes ago, LRJW said:

That's unfortunate.  I think that better training should have been provided (for you to get a clearer understanding on what to do).  From what you say, it was all kind of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.  

We don't remove anyone from our meetings, unless it's an extreme issue like a disfellowshipped person turning their camera on or refusing to leave after the meeting ends.  

I have three young brothers operating Zoom with me and we all take turns in different assignments ("media" attendant, "audience" attendant, and "host").  As the elder overseeing everything, I'm always either host or co-host even if it's not my turn to do anything on Zoom.  The brothers know that if they see something extremely vulgar like nudity, putting up swear words on a sign in front of the camera, or something outlandish like that, remove them and tell me immediately afterwards.  If it's a hazy issue like immodest dress or something, they know to tell me first so I can check it out and then I'll make the decision. 

If it's something like a brother unmuting himself constantly, or a camera pointed in a weird direction, or something like that, we will always try to send that brother or sister a text message saying something like "please don't do that".  That always does the trick.  

Zoominst should be observed,  then there will be no discussion.

There is no problem with the attendant stopping a participant's video

when the attendant immediately requests the image again.

The person will change their behavior, believe in a technical error, and will attend the meeting again.

Only people who continuously disturb need to be reported.

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

I agree with you. 

I'm quick to mute some one. Maybe a little too quick. :crackwhip:

11 hours ago, AH173 said:

As instructed by COBE from prior zoom host/ co-host training we are permitted to remove or put in waiting room those who disrupt the zoom meeting. Yesterday, I informed the cobe about my duties of the following.

1) Early on in the meeting prior to the start, there was a participant who had aimed their camera at their very unkempt floor and I decided to shut their video off.

2) During my part-- for the 5 min organizational accomplishments part a participant brother (as done on previous incidents) unmuted himself during my part as the video was playing. I simply muted him back. Then less than 10 seconds he unmutes himself and then I removed the brother from zoom meeting.

3) Lastly during congregation bible study I get a seemingly urgent text message from one of 2 elders (one is an elder who just got recently appointed -who had his first time being chairman for tonight's CLM and other is the secretary) who monitor the zoom meeting but are not active co-hosts at the time --to remove a sister's video because he believes it is not becoming to the zoom audience (he is the secretary of congregation who supervises me with the accounts), so I promptly stop the sister's video.

zoom_cohost_doghouse.jpg

Perhaps you should ask for the instruction provided by the branch ...it’s several pages long

....kind of like a KH assignment — the COBE has instruction for the meeting but also specifically not to micro-manage those with assignments

then again you could have some special circumstance/issue  that We are not aware of ( always exceptions may exist)

but if you trust a brother and assign him a responsibility ... you should dignify them with that privileged....

keep in mind we all need training and correction ......

but blanket statements are often overarching ....which includes this direction vs branch direction......

I probably should add that we do take action ...but we have already discussed most situations.....

this week I turned of the video of someone eating and someone having tech difficulty

i immediately emailed my fellow host and the chairman so they would 

‘be in the loop ...who and why’

we have quite a bit of latitude.......but we did have one brother who struggled....so he is not currently assisting

in Zoom meeting attendanting.......he’s ok he has other privileges....he is an elder....but struggles with watching everyone or playing media

yet he often serves as a chairman......

Our Media/Tech team is in a SMS group and during the meeting we are constantly in touch with each other and it only takes seconds to get a common consensus on a bad connection or someone's video needing to be turned off. The branch has given very strict instructions on setting up the Zoom sessions. Because the branch requires the chat feature to be turned off  having instant messaging among the Host & Media teams is a must.

In addition we found out that being more tolerant is also required as most struggle with the technical aspect and often don't know what is happening. We had one older sister fall asleep in front of her camera with her mouth wide open, so we turned her video off. However she woke up and wanted to comment and her first words were someone turned my video off. A few meetings after that she commented and again her first words were someone turned my video off. Instant text messages to the team put everyone into the know, her camera was not turned off however the cover over her camera was not removed or the camera pointed to something black.

As we struggle with this new way of conducting meetings, the ones that are a bit tech savvy need to help those that have difficulties and it helps to know where the controls are on a PC/Laptop, Tablet or phone because too often we hear, I don't have that. In addition every participant at our meetings is required to join 20 minutes before the meeting and in a breakout room their connection, audio, video and lighting is being checked and if needed a kind request and help to adjust it.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

44 minutes ago, More4me2do said:

Our Media/Tech team is in a SMS group and during the meeting we are constantly in touch with each other and it only takes seconds to get a common consensus on a bad connection or someone's video needing to be turned off. The branch has given very strict instructions on setting up the Zoom sessions. Because the branch requires the chat feature to be turned off  having instant messaging among the Host & Media teams is a must.

In the earlier version of the zoominst PDF,  it was required to have to have the chat off. In the latest zoominst dated 5/20, it is now an optional setting.

image.png.29304ba9fa7c5416ae49416a16d06c4b.png

For our congregation meeting, we have it on, but I have adjusted the chat setting to Participant Can Chat With: Host Only. This is adjusted from the zoom client. Each host (and different computer) would need to select this option or it would default to Everyone Publicly. When this is done once, your Zoom client will remember the setting.

image.png.de2f9f63ac611ef3ca284c494380d1a8.png

This allows a participant to only be able to chat with the host or a co-host. This also allows the co-hosts to chat with any co-host, host, or paticipant. I don't use it much, I usually just do a SMS group as well, but sometimes it can be useful if someone doesn't see or notice the messages on their phone for some reason. It's also good to have if the attendant needs to communicate with a participant in the meeting or the waiting room.

Edited by TylerD

From reading the guidelines previously, I do as above and make sure that the participant can chat with the host only. Good reminder.

22 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

I was told that under Zoom 5.4.7 Windows client, the raise hand action is now under "Reactions".

887805940_2020-12-235.4.7RaiseHand.png.9f71448c2d9d87e2b3879404f1f1fb80.png

Thank you! After doing the upgrade, I had no “raise hand” in the participate area. ☹️ Found it now. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

On 12/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, AH173 said:

If he want to see it then do a screen shot.

Well, as with many things, the new feature that allows Hosts and co-hosts to raise their hand comes with some unwanted added side effects.

Since the "raise hand" (see pics above) has been moved to the "reactions" it now appears on the participants pictures in gallery view. (in the past, only the host/co-host saw the "blue hand" in the pictures while all could see it in the participants panel).  While this may seem like a "good thing", and to some it may be, it has some "drawbacks". Let me explain:

On a previous update the feature was added that allows you to rearrange your "gallery view" pictures to the order you want them. As an example, this allows you to put the Elders along the top of your screen - and they would stay there in the order you put them. Just like the "raised hands" moves those with their hands up to the top of the participants panel, with this latest update, those with raised hands are now moved to the top/beginning of the gallery - causing all those carefully arranged pictures to move and shift as hands go up and down  :wall:  

That would be OK if there was an option to turn the gallery shifting off - but, they did not provide that option. Also, just like you cannot rearrange the gallery images if you hide those with their cameras off, you cannot rearrange any pictures while any hand is up :nope: 

So, while the "raise hand" for hosts and co-hosts is nice to have, I wish they had thought the entire scheme/impact all the way through and provided options to have this feature customizable.

Oh, and, yes, this moving of the "hands raised" pictures to the top/beginning goes for "everyone" - not just the hosts/co-hosts  :( 

If you have not yet upgraded to the latest version (December 21, 2020 version 5.4.7 [59784.1220]) you will not see these changes - when you do, these changes will be obvious the next time your meeting has a Q&A part

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~