JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A random thread of absolute randomness...

On 3/13/2021 at 12:13 AM, bagwell1987 said:

Surnames began being used in 1066 and the oldest surname is Katz, cool.

Would that be Surnames in Britain or everywhere?
I ask, because if it started in Britain that would make sense, and it would probably have been introduced by the newly conquering Normans.

So David and I accidently did an "April's fools prank" on my mother in law. I promise it was entirely unintended. I had no idea what the day was, or at least didn't think about what day it was, which I know is strange since this involved a calendar.
So, David and I are staying with the in laws for now, and they let us have the place to ourselves after we got married, and initially intended to come home thursday, but decided to stay another night and get some things, so while they were on our way, we tidied up, and I noticed mum had a nice flower calendar, and I told David "this is a nice pretty calendar. Your mum was complaining about the only calendar she could find was smoothies. Let's change out the calendars and see if she notices."
So far, she hasn't noticed. Either that or she likes the calendar and is keeping it there, so possibly I did a good thing. 😊

Whoever heard of a calendar of smoothie recipes???

24 minutes ago, Katty said:

So far, she hasn't noticed. Either that or she likes the calendar and is keeping it there, so possibly I did a good thing. 😊

Whoever heard of a calendar of smoothie recipes???

Hahaha .... That's a good one @katty.. Never heard of that calendar... Would love to see one though.. 

53 minutes ago, Katty said:

Would that be Surnames in Britain or everywhere?
I ask, because if it started in Britain that would make sense, and it would probably have been introduced by the newly conquering Normans.

Surnames originally also were titles. So.. let's say "Matthew Wood", that can possibly go back to meaning "Matthew the wood cutter". Or "Matthew who lives near the woods".

Eventually this way of differentating between people of the same name became surnames, e.g; John, son of Matthew the Wood cutter"... eventually would become Matthew Wood.. John Wood.. etc. 

Sometimes it was persona, job, and so on. For example, my last name Tibbins, comes from the old French (Norman) and Germanic word; Theobald, which means "brave, bold or strong".  So I imagine that perhaps my surname began either with a person being known for being a strong person or personalilty, or a "strong people".

Naming conventions the further we go back are given to people because it "meant something", as opposed to now, where we pick names because it "sounds" nice.  Hence, in the Bible people had their names changed at times.

So, your last name can tell you a lot about your origin ancestry and who/what your relatives were back in the time last names were first given.

Edited by EccentricM

51 minutes ago, Katty said:

So, David and I are staying with the in laws for now, and they let us have the place to ourselves after we got married,

Also, congrats! :) I'm not sure if I knew before and congratulated you.. or only just found out now, it's been a while... 😄 But regardless.

2 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

How many of people 🤯?

Just think they will be resurrected. 

Thiers been a couple. I found out about one boy yesterday and another boy who graduated two years later that I knew.

Last summer the runner up class of 2016 valedictorian committed suicide by overdose. She was got into and was attending a prestigious university as well. It's hard to understand why someone that gifted would just throw it all away. You never know what someone is going through. 

23 hours ago, Beyond the Sky said:

Thiers been a couple. I found out about one boy yesterday and another boy who graduated two years later that I knew.

Last summer the runner up class of 2016 valedictorian committed suicide by overdose. She was got into and was attending a prestigious university as well. It's hard to understand why someone that gifted would just throw it all away. You never know what someone is going through. 

Being successful in the world leads to many pains and sorrow, not lasting happiness.

If I wasn't in the truth, I would most likely have been a hedonist.

Really, life's meaninglessness is a result of our being mere mortals. How utterly futile this existence would have been without hope of "... the glorious freedom of the children of God" – Rom 8:21

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

The history of the world in just a few sentences:
Elites:
"Hello, I'm of the elite therefore I am superior to you plebs who till our food. I will ensure that our civilation's religions and the state propaganda supports this claim, because the moment the plebs start to doubt my sheer superiority..."
The plebs:
"Yo elites! You're not superior so stop oppressing us...REVOLUTION!!!" or
Other Civilization:
"Hey I see you're having trouble keeping your plebs in order...that would make this a great time to take over your Civilization."

reset....repeat

• 2 months later...

I hate seeing my 12 year old dog not having as much energy anymore. He is still pretty active during the day but not as much later on. You can just tell he is not the same as his younger self.

I wish I could keep him forever into the new world. If I could have anything it would be that.

7 hours ago, Beyond the Sky said:

I hate seeing my 12 year old dog not having as much energy anymore. He is still pretty active during the day but not as much later on. You can just tell he is not the same as his younger self.

I wish I could keep him forever into the new world. If I could have anything it would be that.

What breed is your dog?

1 hour ago, Beyond the Sky said:

I've been getting migraines literally everyday, don't know what's wrong with me.

Could you possibly be allergic to anything you are eating or drinking, a medication, or even something you're breathing in the air, mold, et?

I had migraines for more than 20 years but only about once a month; once I got them back to back, but that was unusual...

What are your symptoms?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

8 hours ago, Dove said:

Could you possibly be allergic to anything you are eating or drinking, a medication, or even something you're breathing in the air, mold, et?

I had migraines for more than 20 years but only about once a month; once I got them back to back, but that was unusual...

What are your symptoms?

Hmm I have never been known to be allergic to anything and I am not taking medication. 

Its throbbing headaches.

10 hours ago, Beyond the Sky said:

I've been getting migraines literally everyday, don't know what's wrong with me.

If the headache is around your temples on each side of your head, you may have bruxism. Clenching your teeth at night will give you a bad headache.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Clenching pain is a real thing, I have TMJ and have to be aware of my clenching during the day. At night I used to wear a guard, you can get them OTC these days, and it helped. I hope you find an answer, headache is no joke. 😉

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

The temporomandibular  joint (TMJ) acts like a sliding hinge, connecting your jawbone to your skull. You have one joint on each side of your jaw. TMJ disorders — a type of temporomandibular disorder or TMD — can cause pain in your jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement.

image.png.5cc1113c72242c33905f01ba80fa0632.png

TMJ disorders affect the temporomandibular joint, located on each side of your head in front of your ears.

Edited by happiness IS