JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A random thread of absolute randomness...

Additional fun fact about atoms:

If you were to make a single atom the size of an American football stadium, its nucleus would be the size of a marble on the 50 yard line. That means that if you were to shrink down and stand between the atoms of even the densest elements, all you would see is empty space. 

1 hour ago, Katty said:

@New World Explorer....are you hoping we have donut trees in the new system? Still taste as great, but lower in calories...?
Vector of a Happy Cartoon Woman Picking Donuts from a Donut Tree by  toonaday - #43045

Are the calories "lower" because the tree is shorter?

Edited by EccentricM

@Ferb Hello, Hi, Hola, Buenos Dios, Allo, Privet, Jambo, Merhaba.........................................................

1 minute ago, Katty said:

@Ferb Hello, Hi, Hola, Buenos Dios, Allo, Privet, Jambo, Merhaba.........................................................

so,@Ferbwhen I tag your name and I quote the post with your name tagged, does it result in you getting one tag notification or two?

Edited by Katty

8 minutes ago, Katty said:

so,@Ferbwhen I tag your name and I quote the post with your name tagged, does it result in you getting one tag notification or two?

Also, when I quote this quote, like so, @Ferb, do you get one notification or 3?

Spoiler

Once there was a beautiful princess and....

Spoiler

one day she met an incredibly nerdy prince so....

Spoiler

She told him that she would marry him if he would find her a rare gem only found in the caverns guarded by terrifying beasts...

Spoiler

So he said, "no problem, easy"....

Spoiler

So he went on the quest for the rare stone, and returned the next day with it.

Spoiler

The princess was astonished that the nerdy prince was able to accomplish what all the jock princes were unable to do so she asked, "How..."

Spoiler

The nerdy prince said, "I knew these beasts were repelled by a particular frequency of sound, so I made a program to ensure that this sound frequency was emitted whenever I went near the beasts

Spoiler

The princess was impressed so she married him and they lived happily ever after, forever in peace from the beasts...
so long as the electricity worked...

Why is it that.. if you speak intelligently on a subject or correct someone, people assume you're a miserble introverted killjoy who doesn't know how to have fun?

Today someone was talking about historical swords on a YT channel that is "all about" historical swords and "accurate" history. Someone commented on a certain video that had a demonstration of a specific sword, they said;  "I love rapiers, they so light and elegent, my favorite sword over all other swords", of course, I couldn't help but correct a common misconception, so I said "these actually are sideswords! Historically rapiers are much longer, and are actually quite cumbersome". So you know, here's me thinking I'm doing someone an eductional favour.... and he responds to me "boy, you must be a riot at parties", what has that got to do with "anything"? You'd have thought they'd appreciate the knowledge on their "favorite thing"...

And yes, YES I AM fun at parties! You can be smart 'and' fun, humans aren't 2-dimensional...

*ramble, ramble, ramble*

🙄

Edited by EccentricM

• 2 weeks later...

Katty is currently rearranging her Windows taskbar by icon colour.

"I need something red, David!  Oooh, Adobe Acrobat Reader is red!  What's something purple?  Visual Studio!"

"But Katty, we hardly ever use Visual Studio now we have Visual Studio Code."

"Who cares, it's purple!"

Weird things happen when someone's an artist and a nerd.

9 hours ago, Ferb said:

"I need something red, David!  Oooh, Adobe Acrobat Reader is red!  What's something purple?  Visual Studio!"

I arrange all my desktop icons by category, and sub catergory. For example, my games are on the left, and are arranged in colums by genre. Where as I have programs on the right, and are arranged in colums by socialmedia and gaming/entertainment media platforms (ie Discord, Steam, Origin, Spotify etc) and apps,  the next row is video and picture editing software, and finally I have antivirus and PC maintanance software apps.

Edited by EccentricM

I keep all the icons on my desktop hidden - I prefer the look of a clean desktop with my chosen picture easy to see.

The icons in my taskbar are arranged for ease of use with similar looking ones NOT next to each other.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sometimes, people ask what it's like to be "smart".

I can only answer in the same way as someone would answer the question, "what's it like to be strong?" or "what it is like to be tall?". You don't feel stronger, weaker, shorter or taller than people, but other people appear to be tall or short, or weak or strong relative to "you".

So in that same way, you don't necessarily "feel smart", but others around you simply come across as "less intelligent", and it's why I think a lot of smart people end up being miserable or angry, or haughty, as they begin to look down on others as inferior, or stupid. It takes humility, and empathy to not become that way, and respect people around you, and take a moment to appreciate what you have been given, as opposed to criticizing others for what they 'do not' have. To be patient with people, to "teach", not to scold.

In that respect, I think it reveals so much about Jehovah's love and patience, because how "stupid" and "infantile" must we look to his infininte wisdom and intelligence? (1 Corinthians 1:25) And people are out there doing what they please, thinking they know better than him. And yet he waits, he teaches, and loves, and doesn't fly off the handle or lose patience simply because we don't understand or can't proccess something (as opposed to how we can easily feel when we sometimes deal with people who can't keep up or do something we deem to be dumb).

Edited by EccentricM

Emma couldn’t understand why I was laughing when she said, “I’ve been drinking lots of water but nothing seems to be quirsting my thench.”

This is what happens when she listens to me rattling on for 30 years. It all started when one of us said, “Shadded poulders.”

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 9/29/2020 at 1:34 PM, EccentricM said:

Sometimes, people ask what it's like to be "smart".

I can only answer in the same way as someone would answer the question, "what's it like to be strong?" or "what it is like to be tall?". You don't feel stronger, weaker, shorter or taller than people, but other people appear to be tall or short, or weak or strong relative to "you".

So in that same way, you don't necessarily "feel smart", but others around you simply come across as "less intelligent", and it's why I think a lot of smart people end up being miserable or angry, or haughty, as they begin to look down on others as inferior, or stupid. It takes humility, and empathy to not become that way, and respect people around you, and take a moment to appreciate what you have been given, as opposed to criticizing others for what they 'do not' have. To be patient with people, to "teach", not to scold.

In that respect, I think it reveals so much about Jehovah's love and patience, because how "stupid" and "infantile" must we look to his infininte wisdom and intelligence? (1 Corinthians 1:25) And people are out there doing what they please, thinking they know better than him. And yet he waits, he teaches, and loves, and doesn't fly off the handle or lose patience simply because we don't understand or can't proccess something (as opposed to how we can easily feel when we sometimes deal with people who can't keep up or do something we deem to be dumb).

It's impossible to really feel smart, because the basis of intelligence is comparison.
Intelligence isn't an absolute, but is relative.
The IQ is based on the bell curve and where you fit compared to other test takers.
In the end, however, you only know your own mind.
I believe this is actually what is behind the Dunning Kruger Effect. David and I talk about this a lot, well, mostly me talking about it, and David chiming in if he has a new perspective to provide.
I believe what's happening with the Dunning Kruger Effect is less competent people might struggle with learning a task more, so if they accomplish a major breakthrough in learning it, they might think, in effect, "this task is really difficult to learn, and I learned how to do something with it. If it's hard for me, it must be hard for other people, so since I've accomplished as much as I have, I must be more competent than others." It makes me think of when Gayle in Bob's Burgers in that Yurt episode just listened to a book on tape about art, and she says "If you can imagine a painting, I've heard a description of it. I now know more about art than anyone else." Not an accurate quote, but that's basically what she says.
Whereas for very competent or highly intelligent people a lot of tasks will come relatively easy, and the thing that you're the most competent at is what you're going to think is the easiest, so I think a lot of highly competent/intelligent people will think "this task is easy. Other people must also find it to be easy."
A lot of highly intelligent people get unfair flack for being pedantic or show-offy or a know-it-all, when to a highly intelligent or highly competent person, they're merely just speaking their mind.

1 hour ago, ChrisC said:

Emma couldn’t understand why I was laughing when she said, “I’ve been drinking lots of water but nothing seems to be quirsting my thench.”

This is what happens when she listens to me rattling on for 30 years. It all started when one of us said, “Shadded poulders.”

@Ferbthis is gonna be you in 30 years. You're gonna be Emma. I'm gonna be the one who mispronunciates things so much you stopped noticing. 😄

So, after the meeting I was chatting in the breakout room with some friends and one of the sisters, very animatedly (as she often tells stories) tells us the story about how a man came to her door, and she wondered "Who could this be?" Then he told her he was a candidate running for local office in her town, so she told him "I'm not interested. I don't vote."
So then he says, "All right, but let me ask you a question. What kind of changes would you like to see made in your town?"
And she thinks about it for a second and says "No more sickness and death,"
So he writes that down!!!
She says "Does he actually think he's going to end sickness in death in my town???" 😄

This sister always has the nuttiest experiences like this.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:21 PM, Ferb said:

Talking about me behind my back eh?🤫

I mean, I use visual studio sometimes....like once a year or so!

Also throw in the problem with being a natural at something, because people who have a natural knack at something, in a way they don't go through each and every step to learn what they did, and so they have a particularly hard time teaching the skill to others. <-- that's what I read somewhere. My random two cents.

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's I used to hang wallpaper for a living.

I have seen many humor clips of people trying to hang wallpaper and it falling on their heads. I have heard people talk about how hard it is. Funny thing is, I never found it difficult.

Now, trying to hammer a nail with the hammer in my left hand - forget it!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~