JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A random thread of absolute randomness...

On 7/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, Qapla said:

Jane Marczewski, a singer known by her stage name Nightbirde, who earned a legion of followers after being a contestant on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent,” has died after a battle with cancer on February 20, 2022 - she was 31

Imagine how happy she will be if/when she is resurrected

That's how we should process such tragic information. We have a wonderful hope, something the world is anemic in. They see death as forever. We see it as a bump in the road.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 1 month later...

I have noticed there is a direct correlation between the HVAC thermostat setting and my wife age. 

Her age + 10 = the thermostat temperature setting in Fahrenheit. :whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When I told my wife that i had a headache, she said "You've lived with a headache for a long time"

I just smiled at her, I think that's when I got the second headache...:facepalmpo2:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Did you know: That if the battery dies on your vehicle fob that you may be able to start the vehicle? 

Use the fob to push the "Start" button on the vehicle. Even if the fob battery is dead, the fob may still start the vehicle. Try it, remove the battery from the fob and see if it works.

Edited by Tortuga

• 1 month later...

I think the fortune cookie companies should use blank pieces of paper in some of the fortune cookies just to mess with people...

• 2 weeks later...

Just random.....This week I discovered the definition of "going down the rabbit hole" 

I found myself watching the Caleb and Sophia Video IN VIETNAMESE SIGN LANGUAGE!!!!

Do I speak Vietnamese?  NO

Do I sign?  Very, very little ASL. the kind you teach a baby

How did I get there?  Down the rabbit hole!  I can't even tell you where I bounced in my studies to eventually get there.  I do sometimes listen to articles in Hawaiian Pidgin because it adorable and I can mostly understand it.

I was quite impressed how the brothers were superimposed upon the video and wore clothing that replicated the character they were translating.  I need to check more videos for the same format.  Jesus is doing such an amazing job of directing us and leaving no one out. 🥰

Looking at recipes of what people ate in the 1940's, my parents' generation. This is before pasta became a 'thing' in the US. Curious. Anyone remember these?

Lord Wooten Pie- veg. scraps in a crust.

Potato and Hot Dog salad

Plum Charlotte- old plums, apples and stale bread. Sounds like a bread pudding

Oslo Meals- a platter of bread, cheese and vegetables 

Jellied Chicken- 🤢 uh nooo

Liver Loaf- again 🤢

Irish Soda Bread

Chip Beef On Toast- my dad's favorite 🤮

Hotdogs Wrapped in Bisquick- loved that one

Wondering if you'd like to share what you ate way back when.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

23 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

We ate well rounded meals. Cheerios in the morning and SpaghettiO's at night..😁

Edited by Tortuga

32 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Anyone remember these?

It is so nice to be able to reply, "Nope, too young". Long time since I could say that. 

I do remember my dad saying his way of know WW2 was over was when he suddenly realised that spam tasted horrible. Prior to that it was the only meat they got and they appreciated it. 

15 minutes ago, WestBro said:

I think this topic is very good, because you can be on any page and still stay on top of the main topic.

😁

What a random comment ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 10/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, bagwell1987 said:

We were a family of eight in Orange County, Ca in the 1950's when we still had orange groves. Where apartments are now, there were fields of produce.  I used to go with mom to Newport Beach to buy fresh caught fish directly from the fishermen out of their boats on the beach.  We had a community garden (I don't know how well that worked) and somehow mom always heard about a field of strawberries that we could glean after harvest.

Dad was in construction so when it rained in the winter and he had no work we ate beans and cornbread because it was a cheap meal but I thought it was because it was a hot meal in the winter.  I thought everyone did that.  I didn't realize we were kinda poor.  I never had a steak to myself until I married and moved to Las Vegas.  We didn't need it.  Our protein was mainly chicken, beans, ground beef and lots of peanut butter.  Once in awhile mom would buy a large round steak, beat it into submission, and cut it into 8 pieces. We got the yummiest watermelons from Red's Ranch Market (The owner was a redhead, duh) for three cents a pound and my brothers and I would spit the seeds at each other so mom made us eat melons outside.  When we came into the truth, a sister who owned a cow would bring us fresh milk quite often.  We would skim off the cream and make our own butter.

Now when fresh organic food is an expensive novelty and everything is GMO and filled with chemicals and still tasteless, my childhood reminds me of what it can be like in the new world only better!

5 minutes ago, Californiamama said:

We got the yummiest watermelons from Red's Ranch Market (The owner was a redhead, duh) for three cents a pound and my brothers and I would spit the seeds at each other so mom made us eat melons outside.  

Don't forget the pomegranate fights...:lol1:

Before the pandemic people would cough to cover the sound of a fart, but during the pandemic they would fart to cover the sound of a cough.

I would like to see a new television series called "The Real Housewives of the Governing Body" or "The Real Housewives of WHQ" 

That would be worth watching...😁

On 10/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, Tortuga said:

Before the pandemic people would cough to cover the sound of a fart, but during the pandemic they would fart to cover the sound of a cough.

There was a old biddy's tale that if you sneeze, burp, cough and fart all at the same time, you would die.

5 minutes ago, Pabo said:

There was a old biddy's tale that if you sneeze, burp, cough and fart all at the same time, you would die.

It's true. How many old biddys are still alive? 😁

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It's true. How many old biddys are still alive? 😁

Quiet a few in the nursing homes.

But it is not "lady-like" if they do it, so they never admit it themselves, and if they are caught out, they die from embarrassment.

Edited by Pabo