JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A random thread of absolute randomness...

On 3/5/2023 at 5:40 AM, Qapla said:

These two posts bring up an interesting question ... Is the Doomsday Clock on Daylight Savings or Standard time?

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth MeyersConfused Joe Biden GIF by CBS NewsJeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Well don't worry beacase its already tomorrow in australia. So you still have at least one more day before the GT.

18 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

Well don't worry beacase its already tomorrow in australia. So you still have at least one more day before the GT.

So we will know before they do. Actually the New Zealanders and those in the islands above and east of them will know  before us Aussies.

But Kiritimati breaks all the rules as they are +14 GMT time which in effect makes it possible that there can be 3 dates at the same time between 10:00 and 11:59 UTC. American Samoa 11:30pm 1st May, New York 6:30am 2nd May and Kiritimati 12:30am 3rd May.

I'm a low carb nut. The health benefits of it for me are off the charts. But I also love GOOD food. So when I needed a lo-carb bar to sustain me I went looking and.........found garbage bars until I found this little baby, its the love of my life. Try it, YA you'll be hooked too! It's that good. They may be small but they're packed with yumminess and satisfy! I buy on Amazon, just over a dollar a bar. Please let me know. I have nothing to gain from telling you but to share what I found that's awesome.

Mousse bar (748 x 1331).jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

17 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

I'm a low carb nut. The health benefits of it for me are off the charts. But I also love GOOD food. So when I needed a lo-carb bar to sustain me I went looking and.........found garbage bars until I found this little baby, its the love of my life. Try it, YA you'll be hooked too! It's that good. They may be small but they're packed with yumminess and satisfy! I buy on Amazon, just over a dollar a bar. Please let me know. I have nothing to gain from telling you but to share what I found that's awesome.

Mousse bar (748 x 1331).jpg

I´d love to try it, Cheryl, but it doesn´t exist in Germany :(

Chrissy :wave:

Who let the cats out - meow, meow, meow, meow, meow! 

Can Australia curb its killer cats?  😱

Australia has a cat problem. Its population of just over eight million feral and domestic cats are thought to kill billions of native creatures each year, many endangered.  

The overall toll - some two billion mammals, birds and reptiles - approaches the estimated wildlife lost, injured or displaced in the 2019-20 Black Summer bushfires disaster - every year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64806771

I like cats, there are several that come around, I often put out a bowl of cat food so they won't go after the wild birds that I also feed.

I left my last job Saturday morning and was only a block away when I saw out of the corner of my eye a log cabin. It didn't look neglected but old. So I looked it up, it was built by......well you can read it, it's great. What a rich history we have here in the Pacific North West. I'll take a picture soon so you can see it "in person"

The Wreckage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreckage_(Ocean_Park,_Washington)

The Wreckage, Ocean Park, Washington

The Wreckage, Ocean Park, Washington

I was astonished to see that The Wreckage in Ocean Park, Washington, is the subject of an entry in Wikipedia. But I am fortunate to have information that you won't find there.

When Frank was a boy in the 1940s and 1950s, his family used to spend the summer at their beach house just a few blocks away from The Wreckage. Hence, Frank knew Guy Allison, the person who built and owned the structure.

Guy Allison held a weekly salon called the Chatter Club. He would invite Peninsula notables to gather around the fire at night and discuss the week's topic. Each person would have about five minutes to speak. At the end of the meeting, the next week's topic would selected.

One of the attendees was Fred Weigardt, who owned the Weigardt Brothers oyster company. Frank was fascinated by Fred's recollections of the early days on the Peninsula. Frank also knew the formidable woman who ran a boys' and girls' camp near Ocean Park for decades.

Frank was the only kid who attended the Chatter Club regularly. He even participated once, when the topic was "Interesting People I Have Known." Frank talked about his urbane Uncle Elstner. You can see the photo album Uncle Elstner compiled in Japan a century ago here:https://www.flickr.com/photos/adavey/albums/72157604419475847

When I asked Frank what he remembered about Guy, he recalled that one time when the family was driving back to Portland, for some they had to return to the beach house.

Imagine their surprise when they found Guy picking berries in their in their blueberry patch!

Now, on to Wikipedia:

======================

The Wreckage is a log house in Ocean Park, Washington, constructed of unhewn logs in 1912.

The house was built by author Guy S. Allison on the Long Beach Peninsula as a beach house, using salvaged materials.

Recovering driftwood from the Pacific Ocean, Allison also made what he called a "zoo" of driftwood animal shapes surrounding the house that appear on U.S. Geological Survey maps as "Wreckage Park Zoo."[2]

The collection was featured in Ripley's Believe It or Not! and Strange as it Seems.[3]

Guy Selwin Allison was born near Hannibal, Missouri, on December 24, 1883. He arrived in Washington in 1906, attended the Washington State Normal School in Bellingham, and became a teacher and principal in Tacoma in 1907-1909.[4]

In 1911, he married his wife, Virginia, honeymooning on property in Ocean Park that he had purchased the same year. He left teaching, for health reasons, to work in the outdoors, and began writing his Bypaths of History syndicated column for western United States newspapers in the 1930s.[3]

The Wreckage is a log cabin, largely built of found and salvaged materials.

The location on the Pacific coast near the mouth of the Columbia River provided considerable opportunity for salvage from wrecked timber-carrying ships.

The primary log structure came from a large raft of logs that broke up on the Columbia River bar in the winter of 1911, with logs spreading from Tillamook Head in Oregon to Leadbetter Point in Washington.[3]

The house's tongue-and-groove lumber was thrown overboard from the steamer Washington the same winter as it narrowly avoided being wrecked inside the Columbia's mouth.

Cement for the foundation was obtained from the wrecked French barque Alice.[3]

Allison recovered the materials from the beach and planned a blockhouse-like cabin based on cabins he had seen in Sitka, Alaska, using simple hand tools to build the house.[3]

The house is a 1-1/2 story structure, built in 1912, using 30-foot (9.1 m) logs on the front and rear, and 24-foot (7.3 m) logs on the sides. It rests on a concrete block foundation. The overhanging roof has gables at the ends and shed dormers in each of the long sides, extending out over the eaves to the edge of the roof.

Window and door openings were sawn out of the solid log structure, with wood surrounds embellished with fishing net floats. A brick chimney stands at one end and another chimney is near the center of the house.[3]

The Wreckage was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 18, 1979.[1] The driftwood zoo gradually disappeared over the years, as did several outbuildings, including a garage that Allison called "The Wreckagette."[3]

Author Walter A. Tompkins set his novel CQ Ghost Ship at The Wreckage.[3]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreckage_(Ocean_Park,_Washington)

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Allison also made what he called a "zoo" of driftwood animal shapes surrounding the house that appear on U.S. Geological Survey maps as "Wreckage Park Zoo

Such a treasure, sister

Spoiler

image.png.a26e9ec3b8904093eefb79b70504bf41.png

Edited by Imagine

There is also a house called The Door House. Its built from a shipwreck load of doors that happened, they were salvaged and used to build a house, one that a current brother used to live in and one I've been to several times out in service.

The Door House. Ocean Park, WA

16 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

One man's junk is another man's treasure!

In the mid-19th century, Henry David Thoreau gained fame after sequestering himself for 2 years at a small cabin on Walden Pond. A century later, a man named Richard "Dick" Proenneke took the same idea to an extreme — he plunked himself down in the icy wilds of Alaska and lived there alone for 30 years. In doing so, he became an icon of survivalist grit and conservationism. The house he built for himself from scratch is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

Spoiler

Proenneke seemed to thrive in this atmosphere. Alan Bennett was a wildlife and fisheries biologist in the Lake Clark area who knew Proenneke personally, and later worked as volunteer guide at his now-famous cabin. He's also the author of "Dick Proenneke, Reflections on a Man in His Wilderness."

image.png.5693107d87592c0e0e2d176101380b2d.png

Edited by Imagine

I posted the two stories not to challenge others but to highlight the amazing survival and recycling abilities of the local folk. There are many more such stories. It's a rich heritage here. We've had so many wrecks.

https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2021/03/we-mapped-every-major-shipwreck-at-the-graveyard-of-the-pacific.html

Where I live I've always been taught respect for the mouth of the Columbia, the Pacific ocean, the Jetties. It's a dangerous ocean here. A brother was killed just over a year ago as he and his crew steamed in from a fishing trip, a sneaker wave came over a jetty and swamped his boat. Our ocean is full of such stories. A friend as a young woman also died in such a way.

There are so many stories and much that is recovered from ancient tragedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Bar

Learning the history helps me for when the resurrection comes.

Side Note: in 1981 I worked in a care center. One of my patients was Claude. He was a ship captain on the Columbia River/Pacific Ocean. So that means he was born in 1897. He couldn't talk, couldn't tell me anything but what I could do is see that he was alive when some of the ship wrecks happened, he had the responsibility of ships that COULD wreck out there. I admired his history and I cannot wait till I can talk to him again in the new system.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going on right outside my bedroom window:

https://youtu.be/TiBxaHbHMKI

A G=3 Class solar storm is pouring through a hole in Earth's magnetic field, creating an 

amazing strobe light show in the night sky.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

17 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

This is going on right outside my bedroom window:

https://youtu.be/TiBxaHbHMKI

A G=3 Class solar storm is pouring through a hole in Earth's magnetic field, creating an 

amazing strobe light show in the night sky.

Thanks! I casted it to our TV so we could watch it 😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Start from the beginning.  It had a really beautiful beginning. 😊👍

I did! Wow!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

Since when did the print on medicine bottles or on the insurance card or food labels become so small I have to use my readers AND a magnifying glass? 🔎 🙄

37 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Since when did the print on medicine bottles or on the insurance card or food labels become so small I have to use my readers AND a magnifying glass? 🔎 🙄

That is easily explained.  The reading glasses companies are obviously owned by the same folks who own the pharmaceutical companies. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif