JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Civil unrest over the presidential election?

https://www.newsweek.com/arizona-gop-chair-calls-trump-cross-rubicon-tweet-shared-michael-flynn-1556232?amp=1

U.S.
Arizona GOP Chair Calls for Trump to 'Cross the Rubicon' in Tweet Shared by Michael Flynn

BY JASON LEMON ON 12/20/20 AT 2:07 PM EST

Kelli Ward, the chair of Arizona's Republican Party, urged President Donald Trump to "cross the Rubicon" in a Saturday tweet, referencing the historical act by Julius Caesar which led to the Roman civil war and Caesar becoming a dictator. Retired General Michael Flynn, who was recently pardoned by Trump, shared Ward's tweet Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing that this has to be expressed by these persons...

All 10 living former defense secretaries: Involving the military in election disputes would cross into dangerous territory

Ashton Carter, Dick Cheney, William Cohen, Mark Esper, Robert Gates, Chuck Hagel, James Mattis, Leon Panetta, William Perry and Donald Rumsfeld are the 10 living former U.S. secretaries of defense.

As former secretaries of defense, we hold a common view of the solemn obligations of the U.S. armed forces and the Defense Department. Each of us swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. We did not swear it to an individual or a party.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/10-former-defense-secretaries-military-peaceful-transfer-of-power/2021/01/03/2a23d52e-4c4d-11eb-a9f4-0e668b9772ba_story.html?outputType=amp

I just want this over. If I can’t have that, “want” right now, I don’t want to suffer through the news, as it’s going on. And, alas, my hard of hearing husband really keeps up with this, on TV.  And, unlike summer time, I cannot escape. (I’ve  even thought about going and sitting in my car for just quiet.) 
I have sound barrier earphones, but to be in the house with one person, and to be blocking out sound, well, let’s say it is not peace-making. If it’s bad enough, I will plug in my earphones, and listen to music. But, even then, I have to be aware that if there is a conversation going on, I need to be a part of it. 
I used to not appreciate silence, but, it is precious now. I just want to hear the birds sing, and the rain, or maybe the river run. 

It’s not that I’m not interested in what’s going on, I’d just like to hear about it, after the fact. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I agree Bea, I know it's all going on out there but it's not necessary for me to know every little bitty detail. I get highlights sent to me from Yahoo news and can research from other resources if I care enough about a subject.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Comments about today's events at the US Capitol have been moved and merged with a post in the news forum.  Please continue the discussion there:  

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things. 

On 11/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Yes.  

Evenhere, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, people have been vandalizing political signs in people's yards, or stealing them outright.

There have even been many cases of MPD--Malicious Property Damage to homes of supporters of opposing political parties.

Just the other day someone threw a rock through the glass of a woman's front door because she supported one party over the other.

Mostly the damage is being done to people's parked cars.

Lots of parading and protesting, too.

:(

that's awful , stay safe

On 1/11/2021 at 5:28 AM, Beyond the Sky said:

I like Donald Trump as a person and I'm sure he wish that he had won, but I am ready for Joe Biden to become president. All that's taken place and been said since the election is tiring to hear about.

I believe Donald Trump was sincerely anti-establishment. I think he simply failed to see the bigger picture and that it's really Satan in charge of this machine; and that he could never have fought Satan's agenda by becoming a bigger part of Satan's system. I think he meant well and is a very strong minded person, but he took the wrong stance. I still hope he might listen to the truth before the end comes, but it doesn't seem likely.
Yeah, I think with Biden as president, the media will lose a ton of viewership, because Trump hate gave them a LOT of views. CNN is in serious trouble right now. We'll probably hear more of "BIDEN IS A GREAT PRESIDENT AND THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD FEEL!!!" on the media.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, Beyond the Sky said:

I like Donald Trump as a person and I'm sure he wish that he had won, but I am ready for Joe Biden to become president. All that's taken place and been said since the election is tiring to hear about.

I feel the exact opposite about nearly every word except your last sentence. Donald Trump has always been grotesque to me, since back in the 1980s. I'm happy not to have hear his awful voice and terrible speaking anymore. He is nasty, disrespectful, selfish and a classless bully.

In my opinion... 😇🤫🤐 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I feel the exact opposite about nearly every word except your last sentence. Donald Trump has always been grotesque to me, since back in the 1980s. I'm happy not to have hear his awful voice and terrible speaking anymore. He is nasty, disrespectful, selfish and a classless bully.

In my opinion... 😇🤫🤐 

Apart from that......  he seems like a nice guy.😱 ::o

1 hour ago, Hope said:

In my opinion... 😇🤫🤐 

Imagine if he becomes a brother before the end :D 

3 hours ago, Dages said:

Imagine if he becomes a brother before the end :D 

Then I'm sure he would change....👍😂

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 1/16/2021 at 3:27 AM, Hope said:

I'm happy not to have hear his awful voice and terrible speaking anymore

I can't stand to even listen to those that try to imitate him! On  SNL Alec Baldwin, Jimmy Fallen, Colbert, especially Seth Meyers!

That would be really cool. Unfortunately though we know hard it is for the rich man to turn. But nothing is impossible.

Rich?...oh yeah the millions from selling access for pardons?

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/rudy-giuliani-associate-john-kiriakou-trump-pardon

Giuliani associate told ex-CIA officer a Trump pardon would ‘cost $2m’ – report
John Kiriakou, who was jailed in 2012 for identity leak, said his pursuit of a pardon came up in a meeting with Giuliani last year

An associate of Rudy Giuliani told a former CIA officer a presidential pardon was “going to cost $2m”, the New York Times reported on Sunday in the latest bombshell to break across the last, chaotic days of Donald Trump’s presidency.

So something I've been considering a lot in my own mind is, do I mentally side with any of this?
I mean, do I believe that the election was conducted in an honest and fair manner? Absolutely not!
But the bigger question is that, should it matter?
I mean, as Jehovah's people, we're not pro-democracy. We're not pro-any form of government.

Sometimes I tend to romanticize people who commit civil unrest when the governments are acting unfairly like "Power to the people!"
But I have to shed the feeling, because people who protest are no different to people who run the government whining to them that they try to legislate all our problems away.
They're all the people shouting to the mountains "cover over us", looking for solutions with man, and not with Jehovah.

1 hour ago, Katty said:

So something I've been considering a lot in my own mind is, do I mentally side with any of this?
I mean, do I believe that the election was conducted in an honest and fair manner? Absolutely not!
But the bigger question is that, should it matter?
I mean, as Jehovah's people, we're not pro-democracy. We're not pro-any form of government.

Sometimes I tend to romanticize people who commit civil unrest when the governments are acting unfairly like "Power to the people!"
But I have to shed the feeling, because people who protest are no different to people who run the government whining to them that they try to legislate all our problems away.
They're all the people shouting to the mountains "cover over us", looking for solutions with man, and not with Jehovah.

Katy I have been doing the same. Really reflecting on what neutrality means and looking in a mirror to make sure that I am maintaining it.  I have found faults in myself that I continue to work on and pray about.  Everything we are doing is for our future so I have spent a lot of time on this. I never realized how easy these thoughts we hear on the news can grow in our heart and mind so it’s been a good exercise for me to learn to deflect them and rely on Jehovah. I hope that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Julie said:

Just come on the BBC Breaking news that the US Capitol is in lockdown due to an external security threat 

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1351192893009096711?s=20

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/biden-inauguration-preparation-2021-01-18/

Washington — A fire under a highway several blocks from the Capitol caused a brief lockdown of the complex and the evacuation of a rehearsal of Wednesday's inauguration, a reflection of the heightened state of alert in the nation's capital.

Capitol Police warned those in the Capitol to stay inside due to an "external security threat," and shut off access to and from the building. A rehearsal on the West Front of the Capitol was evacuated, with media members told to return to nearby trailers. 

Capitol Police said a fire under a highway several blocks south of the Capitol prompted the lockdown.

"In an abundance of caution following an external security threat under the bridge on I-295 at First and F Streets, SE, Acting Chief Pittman ordered a shutdown of the Capitol Complex.  There are currently no fires on or within the Capitol campus," Capitol Police said. "Members and staff were advised to shelter in place while the incident is being investigated."

The U.S. Secret Service said the fire had been extinguished and there was "no threat to the public."

The scare comes as thousands of troops are in Washington ahead of the inauguration, blocking off streets around the Capitol for President-elect Joe Biden's swearing in.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif