JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2021 Governing Body Update #6

Go to solution Solved by trottigy,

1 hour ago, Bob said:

That direction would be practically useless if zoom has permanence to it. 

Zoom can be permanent and we can also meet in person.  It's possible we will continue to Zoom and live stream our local meetings for the benefit of those who cannot attend in person.  Like we do now with the phone tie-in.  Same principle, different technology.  

20 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Zoom can be permanent and we can also meet in person.  It's possible we will continue to Zoom and live stream our local meetings for the benefit of those who cannot attend in person.  Like we do now with the phone tie-in.  Same principle, different technology.  

Oh yeah for sure. Didn’t think of it quite that way!

9 minutes ago, Bob said:

Oh yeah for sure. Didn’t think of it quite that way!

I've discussed it a few times with some of our local brothers.  We're all of the mindset that, in case of inclement weather, we will just have a Zoom meeting night instead of canceling the meeting entirely.

Our Kingdom Hall has been flooded twice (and it sits at the top of a hill!).  We had to have our meetings in another Kingdom Hall while ours was repaired.  We are now due for a major renovation that was put on hold due to Covid.  Now, instead of trying to find a Kingdom Hall that can take us in (we have 3 congregations that meet at our Hall), we can Zoom while our Kingdom Hall is renovated (whenever that will be).

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Well, the point of vaccination is that after you’ve had the shot, it doesn’t matter if the other person is vaccinated or not because it’s designed to protect you from infection form carriers of the virus. 

So if you’re vaccinated, you’re protected from infection. And that’s why the mask and distancing mandates were dropped country wide essentially after enough people got the shot. 

Doesn’t mean the pandemic is over of course, it just means you’re protected. 

With present info, if one is vaccinated that one is protected. 

Her and I was going to mention the closed type of environment the bethelites have. 

They have almost no chance of a breakthrough infection in that type of environment. 

I am sure from all the points ever made in the Governing Body updates, they are going to weigh the risks/benefits in light of Scriptural principles of respect for life rather than take what scientists say in their decision making. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

4 hours ago, trottigy said:

3. IF we are vaccinated we CAN assemble again (but we have not been given the OK at the halls - yet!), but they are meeting together again at Bethel

Yes, if law/regulations permit it (I'm not sure how being in a closed environment is being applied in branch case).

But yes, I think that's the goal of the superior authorities: to get herd immunity (probably ~90% population vaccinated) and I'm happy how it was clearly spell out that there's nothing wrong with taking a vaccine. Of course it's a personal decision (because we are not forcing anyone to use this or that treatment), but scripturally there's nothing wrong with it.

I guess that we will be allowed to come back to KHs when in a particular country/area herd immunity is achieved (with Zoom meetings as a help). Unfortunately, in my country only about 40% of people got fully vaccinated as of now.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

I think it's best to not let your guard down despite being vaccinated. While the vaccine offers protection there still the Delta variant and also in some countries kids below 12 do not qualify for the vaccine yet. I'm cautiously optimistic but we are not out of the woods yet. 

Edit: I just realized that I double posted basically saying the same thing. I thought the first comment didn't go through. 

Edited by Eddie

31 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

What’s that mean?

I’ll Google it🤗

Sr.  Nancy did you find it?  A "break-through" infection is the description of someone who catches the Covid virus even though they are vaccinated.  This may be due to a different variant or a persons immune response or maybe the time between injections.  Usually the these cases are not as serious leading to hospitalization in ICU, Ventilators or death.

11 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Sr.  Nancy did you find it?  A "break-through" infection is the description of someone who catches the Covid virus even though they are vaccinated.  This may be due to a different variant or a persons immune response or maybe the time between injections.  Usually the these cases are not as serious leading to hospitalization in ICU, Ventilators or death.

Yes on CDC website it says how many vaccinated ones have gotten it and how many have died from January 2021 to April 30,2021. They need to update it.

Edit: Anthony Fauci said 99.2% of deaths were unvaccinated.

Edited by Littlecat

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

With present info, if one is vaccinated that one is protected. 

Her and I was going to mention the closed type of environment the bethelites have. 

They have almost no chance of a breakthrough infection in that type of environment. 

I am sure from all the points ever made in the Governing Body updates, they are going to weigh the risks/benefits in light of Scriptural principles of respect for life rather than take what scientists say in their decision making. 

Great point bro. They do weight the risks and benefits. And they also know that no vaccine is 100 percent effective. So its unlikely that they have a "zero risk" standard in Bethel, but we agree bro.

On another note, aren't we all happy for the Bethelites? Living communally as they do has its challenges, but even more so that since the beginning of the pandemic, they've had almost ZERO freedom to even enjoy each other's company in person at the complex. We've had a good amount of freedom to leave our homes and move about even after the lockdowns ended. Many took vacations last year. I know we did.

Now they can socialize again in person and meet together. I'm over the moon for them.

Edited as I reread the article. 

The UKs new aircraft carrier has every single member on board fully vaccinated yet Covid is now doing the rounds on board. I believe they said it was currently 100 individuals. Other ships are also affected. 

It seems that perhaps they were all asymptomatic. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57830617

If the information on double vaccinated individuals keeps coming back saying that it protects from serious illness always or at least in a very high percentage then that would be great news for us and the meetings. 

Edited by Mykyl

2 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

The UKs new aircraft carrier has every single member on board fully vaccinated yet Covid is now doing the rounds on board. I believe they said it was currently 100 individuals. Other ships are also affected. 

No news on how badly they are affected though or if the vaccines are doing the job intended and protecting from bad infections. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57830617

So the information on double vaccinated individuals needs to come back saying that it protects from serious illness always or at least in a very high percentage. That would be great news for us and meetings. 

Probably best to discuss that here as its been mentioned:

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions. - Page 70 - Secular News in the Mainstream Media - JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

It has a bearing on fully vaccinated and close contact infections like we could have at meetings. 

That’s why I mentioned it as part of this discussion. 

Edited by Mykyl

Just now, Mykyl said:

It has a bearing on fully vaccinated and close contact infections like we would have at meetings.
That’s why I mentioned it as part of this discussion. 

Oh I understand. I was only afraid of the thread about the GB update being highjacked.

But carry on.. I'm a nobody here!

Our older ones have done excellent in coping with this pandemic and learning zoom.  Most of our older ones have been enjoying the meetings on zoom.  They attend most of the meetings, hardly missing one.  Before, some would miss many meetings because of health issues.  Letter writing is keeping them busy, many doing more ministry than ever before.

That was such an encouragement to the elderly. They're still important!

There is an elderly sister in my congregation who was at our service arrangement this morning. She had already seen the GB Update, and commented that it was encouraging for her that Brother Herd had directed it to the elderly. (She was careful not to mention her age.) I asked her why, since it was about the older ones! I said it wasn't directed to the young chicks, so it didn't apply to her. :whistling: 

10 hours ago, outwalkin said:

Keep in mind Bethels are closed environments - no visiters and no outside visiting. The environment around us is different.

That s it! well said!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

11 hours ago, Dages said:

Yeah... in France, it's already starting to talk again about a lockdown... we aren't back in KH yet... I don't expect it for this year :(

Greater Sydney and Melbourne/Victoria state are currently in lockdown, due to Delta variant spreading fast. 

At this stage the government is struggling to get on top of cases. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-17/nsw-records-111-covid-19-cases/100300492

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Anyone know what is happening at the Britain Branch?  Relaxing of rules has been done in stages in the England, and I wonder how this has been reflected at Bethel.  I think they are enjoying some freedom, but not sure how much.  Are they meeting in person for the Bethel family WT study, or for meals?  Are they waiting for the 19th to relax rules at Bethel as well?  I heard something about August 1st to review the situation.